“Amazing Honeymoon!!!”

St. George's Caye Resort
Gatlinburg
“Amazing Honeymoon!!!”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Before our wedding my husband and I were looking for a place that would be private, beachfront, with an exotic feel, have stuff to do, but also be very relaxing. We also wanted to try diving. St. George's Caye Resort in Belize seemed like a perfect fit. We decided to book with them and it was amazing. When we arrived in Belize we were picked up at the airport by the staff, taken to the boat and then onto the resort. The boat ride was nice. When we arrived we were greeted by Leonie and Hector with drinks and a wet towel. We were given a quick tour of the resort and then to our oceanfront cabana which was nice and was only about 75 feet from the ocean, what a view and always a nice breeze. We were then served a private lunch on the beach, very nice. The food was very good. The first day we were the only guests on the resort. The service was very good. We relaxed the first day on the beach and in the hammocks. When we woke up the next morning we decided that we would like to go to a Mayan Ruins and Leonie quickly arranged it and shortly we were off to the ruins. We went to Laminai it was great it was an all day trip and very hot but really amazing, you can climb the ruins. We decided to chill the next day by the pool and beach very nice and very relaxing. I tried windsurfing very fun, a little hard but when I caught on it was very fun and Jose was a good teacher. He also took me out on the Hobie cat and taught me how to sail it was nice. We also went into Belize City on day for a couple hours of shopping it was nice. One of the very best things we did was The Resort Dive Course, Jose was our dive instructor he got us familiar with the equipment, then on to the pool to learn how to use the equipment and get familiar with everything, some safety lessons, and he worked with us until we were very comfortable. Then later that afternoon off to dive at the reef, It was a little scary at first but then it was great. Jose stayed right with us the whole time. We both loved it so much and have found a new hobby. We saw many fish, lobster, coral and more. By the end of the dive Tommy and I were both comfortable and having a blast. We took a second dive another day and it was even better. We also watched as they killed lionfish and they cooked them later and they were wonderful. On night we had a beach BarBQ it was very nice. You get to know the staff and other guests but it also seems very private. This is a great place. We went cave tubing also It was really nice and Cornel was our guide on all our tours but diving and he is great. However if I went again I would do the longer tour. While on the island I walked down to the St. George's Caye Aquarium it was really GREAT. We have a Ripleys Aquarium and I learned more at St. George's Caye Aquarium. Carly a 10 year old boy gives a wonderful tour don't miss this. Its only $3. We mostly enjoyed relaxing and just hanging out feeling the breeze from ocean and spending time with each other. The staff is great, the food is great, the resort is great. The only thing that I think could be improved was the temperature in the cabanas it was a little warm. However with the ocean breeze we had no problem it was really nice. We had a dream Honeymoon and I hope to have the chance to return again soon

Room Tip: Get the ocean front cabanas
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amandaogle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
LA
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I arrived on June 4th 2011 and were met by the driver of the un-air conditioned van. We were driven 20 minutes to the marina and taken to St. George's Caye by boat, approx 20 minute boat ride. Upon arrival we were me by the greeting crew and given a cold fruit punch while we were shown around the small 12 cabana resort. Once we checked in we were shown to our cabana (#9) facing away from Belize. We walked into our room to escape the heat but found it even hotter in the room since the very small window A/C had been turned off and the windows were open. By this time I had several insect bites around my ankles and on my arms. We closed the windows and turned on the A/C (this a/c is an 8000 BTU unit that is sized for a small room around 9x13, with 8 foot ceilings), yet this room was a good 15 foot square with a 15 foot high thatched roof.. The room looked very nice you could see the cathedral ceiling with all the thatch and several holes to the outside measuring a good 6 inches in diameter, lol, I thought how in the heck can this place be sealed from the bugs and much worse how will it be cooled. We over the next week our room never got below 80 deg F during the night and averaged around 85 during the day, and the bugs ate us alive both out and about as well at night even though we were using bug repellent. We arrived just in time for our first dinner with the other 5 guests already at the resort. The meals are pre-planned, no choices and you have set times to eat, if you miss these times you are out of luck. There are no other restaurants, grills, stores or deli's on this small island and they will NOT fix anything out of the set meal times. You have no access to food unless you pay the resort $75.00/ person to take the boat ride back into Belize City for some shopping. The meals were okay, not the best and small portions, good if you want to loose weight while on vacation. The seating is around a large table so you have no privacy and are forced to share your vacation with the other guests, thank God the other guests were great, otherwise it would have been a long week (we did forge friendships that will last a life time, I hope). The overall staff was great. The manager "Barry" and Owner "Ron" never said a word, they just walked around like they were so much better then their guests staying at their resort. I was thankful for the following Saturday to arrive, I was tired from not sleeping well in the heat, My wife and I were covered with bug bites and I was hungry. We do not drink alcohol but yet when we checked out of the ALL INCLUSIVE resort we had a bar tab for $56.00 for the several small fruit juices we received while waiting for the dinner to begin each evening. This is an insect haven and one can not escape the heat or bugs during the entire stay.

Room Tip: Bug's and no escape from the heat!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank FTW927
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2011
Because we have a 99% "very satisfied" rating, we are confident that our guests will not be discouraged by one review. At the same time, we do want to present our version of "the facts." We do everything we can to satisfy our guests' needs and requests, and we are continually improving based on feedback from our guests.When a guest is not satisfied during their stay, but does not inform our staff of their needs, we are in the dark. In the case of the guest who wrote the review above, we appreciate finally getting this feedback, and we would like to share the following:

1. Barry, our lovable and quite competent Resort Manager greeted these guests each morning and asked how they were doing. He was not asked to address any needs during their stay, and he is quite saddened that they are using a public forum after the fact. Our Guest Services Manager stayed in touch with these (and all) guests during their stay to make sure we were taking care of their needs.
2. We were informed during the guest's check-out for departure that the air conditioning was inadequate. Immediately afterward we inspected the A/C unit and found that it was not working to full capacity, and it is now being tuned up. This is something we would have done immediately if we had known of the problem. Granted, however, that our beautiful quaint thatch-roofed cabanas are not air tight, and are generally more comfortable with the windows open and fans on.
3. Bugs come and go in the tropics. We were not hearing complaints form these guests, the other guests, or our staff about any problem with bites during this guest's stay. We offer three types of bug repellent on site.
4. We had just had the thatch roof in this cabana "tuned up" prior to this guest's visit. Our Resort Manager inspected the roof after reading this review and found it to be in very good condition.
5. We are so sad that this guest was not completely satisfied with our food service. We did in fact accommodate them with breakfast outside of our normal serving times. It is also interesting that of the comments we have received over the past 6 months about food portions, virtually all have been about getting too much food - especially at dinner. However, based on this guest's feedback, and that of our other guests, we are now offering more snacks during the day from our lounge.
6. We are glad that these guests enjoyed eating around our dining table with other guests - this is one of the highlights of many people's vacation at St. George's Caye.
7. We advertise as "inclusive" and not "all inclusive." We are careful to list what is included in our advertising and communications with our guests, and in fact email this information to all guests prior to their visit. We reviewed the "bar bill" in question and found that it included many sodas and bottled waters.

We are not only committed to our service and product, we know that the satisfaction of our Guests is the only reason we exist.

Cap'n Ron
800.813.8498
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at St. George's Caye Resort for our honeymoon and it was just great.! We were in one of the over the ocean cabanas which had an awesome view. Great food, however I would bring some snacks because meals are served at a specific time and we occasionally got hungry before those times. The food was great (and my wife is a food person). The staff was excellent and would get us anything we wanted. We really enjoyed drinking coffee on our front porch every morning before breakfast (they would drop it off) and sitting in a hammock during the day.

Here are some tips I would give to the next couple going on a honeymoon here:

- All food is included in your stay. If you want something different than what is being served, they will definitely make it for you. However they charge for it. For example, breakfast is usually a bread of some sort and fruit. If you want eggs and bacon, it is kind of expensive.
- The rum punch is free but everything else you drink you get charged normal bar prices for. If you are one to have a lot of drinks, I would think about either bringing some with you in the bag, or having the guide stop by a store on your way to the hotel from the airport. We had him do this and it worked great. They also charge for sodas and bottled water. That is one complaint I had. I think at least water and soda should have been included with the price. I drank a lot of tap water and was fine.
- All of the excursions were a blast. We went cave tubing, zip lining, to the mayan ruins, and snorkeling. Our guides were fantastic and they were all great little outings. There is definitely a sales approach by the resort to get you to do these... and they are all relatively expensive... but worth it. One day the scuba instructor asked if I wanted to learn how to scuba dive (I had never done it before). He took me into the pool and before I knew it, I was 30 feet deep in the ocean. That was definitely worth it. However, if you just want to relax a day, there is no problem with that too.

- Free things to do on the island (which I recommend) are to go sea kayaking, wind surfing, and definitely visit the local aquarium. Well worth $3 and try and make it there for the feeding.

Overall, the pool is nice, everything is clean, and the island is beautiful. One disappointment was that you can't really swim in ocean. It is not dredged. However, that didn't stop us from lying out and relaxing all day long. If you are looking for a place to go to bars or clubs, this is not it (the island winds down around 10pm). However, if you want the most relaxing place ever, with great food, staff, and atmosphere, this is your destination. Great honeymoon spot and we met some very nice couples there too.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
We absolutely love having honeymoon couples at the resort - great fun for us and the perfect place for them!

We include hot breakfast with our packages, so we don't understand the comment about eggs and bacon being expensive? We apologize for any misunderstanding, but eggs and bacon are included!

Cap'n Ron
800.813.8498
Maryland
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The resort looks exactly like all the pictures, beautiful ! St George is a very small island, about one mile long and very narrow. no roads and no cars. The ocean front cabanas are on the windy side of the island, and the over the water cabanas on the other side of the island with calm, lite breezes. Garden cabanas are in the middle. When it gets hot the AC in the cabana does little to help, and you will appreciate the ocean front side... This is the only commercial business on the island, so do not expect a lot to do at night. All the guest where usually asleep by 9pm. If you like to fish, scuba dive or lay around and do nothing, then this resort is for you. They do have other activities you can do on the main land for an extra expense.

The food was great, but I am not picky. You eat whatever they are serving that day, in a family style dining. We had a lot of fun talking to the other guest of the lodge. breakfast was always fruit, granola, yogart, and a bread. lunch varied. dinner was an app., soup and main dish. The rum punch is excellant.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jmo123
Barrhead, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Spent 4 days here and 4 days in Placencia, The staff is absolutely incredible. This is and should remain a honeymoon resort. Not a tourist looking to get out and experience Belize. The food was generally great in the evenings. Had to order extra for breakfest if you actually wanted to get your fill. Danny the "Chef" cooks amazing fish so long as you catch him some.

Diving is 100 times better in placencia in the parks. (Cost an extra 12$ US per day to get into the park.) The fishing guide for St Gerges takes you where he takes every other schmuck where you fish in a very "fished out" section of reef. (I know because I dive remember) still caught some baby cudas and a two-three pound grouper Did have quite a bit of fun catching Tarpon off the end of the dock on the beach side of the island. Please take note if your an avid fisherman DO NOT GRAB UNDER THEIR GILLS, they are like razor blades. Some British army guys caught a Nurse shark right beside me, lots of little snappers and cudas too.

Room Tip: They're all pretty much the same...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TTurn
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Continental held us up in Nashville so we missed first flight to Belize City. Got there but luggage for friend did not. Resort staff met us on time and took us to get emergency clothes for two days. Great boat ride in a nice 28 foot Kat to resort. Staff met us at dock with drinks and showed us the resort. It is a neat place. Cabanas are very functional and clean and staff and service was excellent.

Dined family style. Food was great (thank you Hector) and meeting new folks each day made the trip fun. Richard was a great fishing guide and put me on permit and bones and he threw in some great cudda action along with yellowtail snapper.

My friend dove and she really enjoyed Freddie and the entire dive staff. I went on the boat for the night dive and it was neat. With lack of ambient light the stars were magnificent.

Barry and Leianie were so gracious and timely with advice and booking side trips, etc. We never lacked for anything. Be prepared to spend some money for side trips. That is just the way it is and you know that going in. Arron can make a great mudslide and the rum punch is there all day long.

Wind can come up this time of year so just expect it. The sea grass is right off the beach, so if you want to swim take a kayak (get an anchor) paddle thirty yards and be in the clear beautiful water with white sand bottom. Otherwise, hit the pool. We were at the pool each evening for sunset and never another guest showed. We also took kayaks around the mangroves. Hobie cats are there for the sailing.

Staff was great. Thanks to all. Will make it back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
lb,il
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We had a great stay at St George' Caye resort last month. It was everything we were looking for , albeit at a high tariff as we were not on a package. The resort has the perfect blend of activities, service, and laid back island flavor. The lack of any other (with the exception of the excellent aquarium) tourist infrastructure on St George's Caye can not be improved upon. As such it draws a select group of guests which was one of the great things about it. (We had the pleasure of meeting Nicole, another reviewer and her husband among others ).The owners Terri and Andrew make you feel as if you are a guest in their home and we were fortunate enough during our stay to meet the visionary Fred Good who founded the resort. The only downside was that we sustained a lot of insect bites.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Victoria House Resort & Spa
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!