“Relaxing and Rejuvenating”

St. George's Caye Resort
Reviewed 24 February 2013

St George’s Caye Resort is only a short boat ride from Belize City (about 20 minutes) which means you remain close enough to enjoy trips to the mainland to take advantage of the opportunities and activities that may be enjoyed in Belize proper. The resort itself offers cozy cabanas, well maintained grounds, a good size pool and ready access to warm clear ocean water to play in when you prefer the open water. The resort is staffed by the most friendly and attentive staff I’ve encountered in years of travel. Anacelia runs the onsite spa where your relaxation really begins – do not pass on this opportunity. The dining experience was delightful with skillfully prepared dishes using locally grown and raised provisions to provide amazing dishes for every meal. The small number of guests all dine together between given hours which allows you to meet and get to know everyone in an informal setting which was quite enjoyable. The Chef was also most accommodating to different tastes if a particular meal was not preferred – dietary restrictions or allergies should be noted when booking but the staff is adaptable after that as well. The dive master worked to ensure the divers in the group had the best possible experience on their trip. He met with them morning and in the evening to discuss conditions and recommend locations for their tastes. Again, the small number of guests allows for more direct customer satisfaction and flexibility. If you choose to simply enjoy the hammocks and beautiful beach area – this quiet resort is well suited for this as well. After a week, I left St. George’s Resort refreshed, relaxed and with great memories. Although I usually prefer to travel to new venues on vacation, I’m keeping this resort on my travel list for the future.

Room Tip: Cabanas on the beach face the sunrise and wind while those on the dock face the sunset and little wi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St. George's Caye Resort

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We had a terrific vacation at St. George's Caye. The staff took care of us from the time they met us at the airport until they dropped us back at the airport. Eli met us on the property with a nice rum punch and cool washcloth and showed us around the resort. When we got to our cabana, our bags were already there and we were off for the week. We knew what to expect since we had emailed all of our questions and done research ahead of time.

Jose was our dive master and showed us everything he could. We got great pictures and Oliver got us out of the water without incident. Eli, Sapo and Elbin took care of our bar needs, serving meals and having our coffee and juice on our deck every morning. It was really nice to have them address you by name. The food was phenomenal and they catered to an allergy, making something similar for my husband, even with the apps prior to dinner.

I had an amazing massage....one of the more professional massages that I've ever had..."Ana" concentrated on those tough areas. Barry and Ashley were around, chatting but not hovering. The staff was so accommodating in every way. We asked one day to leave a little later on the dive boat and arrangements were made.

We stayed in an oceanfront cabana and had the wind blowing through our cabana all week. We never used the a/c, which we loved. We had great sunrises each morning with our coffee in the robes that they provided. We would go back in a minute.....great job!!

We felt like part of their "island family" while we were there. Barry and Ashley have put together a fantastic team! They nurture and encourage their team members to expand their knowledge and abilities in various aspects of the resort's many jobs....and it shows! Everyone bends over backwards to make your stay there enjoyable.

Keep in mind folks....it's...an....island! You're not gonna grab a taxi and go to the corner store. And yes....it takes fuel to run that boat! You can't expect a freebee trip to the mainland because you're bored! Do your homework...and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My finance and I chose Belize and St. George's Caye Resort for our destination wedding. We are so glad we did, it really was a dream vacation and wedding. We chose the resort sight unseen based on reviews and an article in a destination bridal magazine. Ashley made planning from the states an easy process. This type of wedding and location is not for control freaks though! Together with 30 of our family and friends we rented out the entire resort. From the first moment of arrival everyone you encounter at St. George's Caye Resort is friendly and welcoming. The island and resort are big enough to offer excursions for guests wanting a bit more excitement, but plenty to do if they wanted to stay a little closer to their cabanas. Our group explored Mayan ruined, cave tubed, kayaked, sailed on the Hobie cats, snorkeled, took scuba lessons in the pool and just enjoyed the beautiful beach. There really was something for everyone to enjoy. We loved having everyone eat together in the lodge for our meals. If we had stayed at any other type of resort we never could have managed to have everyone together for meals (can you imagine 30 people agreeing on a restaurant!). I'm a very picky eater and the chef made sure I never came close to going hungry.

Our wedding day was perfect, right down to the weather. Ashley and Barry opened up their home to me, my bridesmaids and parents for me to get ready in the peace and full blast air conditioning. Ashley and the spa manager arranged to have an extra person on staff to do our hair. It was a bit unnerving to have someone do your hair through a translator, but she did the most amazing job I could have imagined. Far better than my consult in the states with my own hairdresser. While I was busy getting ready the resort staff were prepping the outdoor area for our wedding. I did not see any of it until my father and I walked down the aisle. The scene belonged in a magazine. I had inquired about using turquoise ties on the guests chairs to match our wedding colors, but was told they didn't have any, which was understandable. Ashley had a trick up her sleeve and had them for the wedding, but left it as a surprise. It was so wonderful! As my father and I walked from the house to the wedding we passed the entire staff of the resort as they gathered in front of the lodge to watch the wedding, along with a few residents of the island. They all started clapping and cheering as we passed, you could truly feel the warmness and happiness they felt for us and our family and friends. The Belizian people treated us this way the entire time. Ashley helped us find the most amazing wedding photographer to capture our once in a lifetime experience. She also contracted a local band to play the night away as we celebrated. Ashley really made it such an easy and enjoyable experience to plan our wedding. I can't image starting our life together in any other location in the world. St. George's Caye is a wonderful treasure.

Room Tip: The over the water cabana's are wonderful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShelbyRogers
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The island and the staff are amazing (except the management)!!! We couldn't ask for a better beautiful place to stay and the food was good no complaints there. Bring bug spray you won't notice them at first but they are there. Seemed to come out even after arriving back home. The ocean views were amazing along with the private thatched huts added a nice touch. But be prepared to pay if you want to get off the Island. Ask ahead to get the cost to travel to other Islands before booking. Also don't commit to something without fully understanding as the manager will charge $$$$$ even if you don't go!!! Also, bring your booze and drink it whenever possilble. Their alcohol I swear was watered down!!! You cannot taste it nor feel it most of our party stuck to beer figured that couldn't be tampered with... My biggest complaint is I felt like I was held hostage unless I wanted to pay dearly to leave the Island. IT WAS ROBBERY!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 and it was nice any rooms from 8-12 would be the best as you got the breezy si...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank luv2travel9446
Ron H, Managing Director at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

As evidenced by virtually all of our other Guest reviews, satisfaction and active endorsement of St. George's is extremely high. Even though this Guest clearly recognized the great service, setting and food, we are sorry that he was not 100% satisfied, but unfortunately he came to the resort as a member of a business group, and our resort apparently would not have been his personal choice. The group was quite diverse, and our manager and staff did everything possible to provide an excellent experience within the limitations imposed by the group leader. This group did have the opportunity to visit other islands and to enjoy guided excursions to the mainland, and these were enjoyed quite a lot. Since we have received very high praise from the rest of this 22-member group, and a stellar review from the group leader, we are confident that our future Guests will continue to have an experience that will cause them to actively endorse of St. George's.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I just got back from St.George's and let me tell you......AMAZING EXPERIENCE!! I booked this as a corporate retreat for 22 people, which could make things really stressful, but Capt Ron, Barry and Ashley were WONDERFUL, and actually REALLY cared about each and every guest! Sapo, Eli and Elbin were TOP NOTCH and made sure we were taken care of and did ANYTHING we asked! The chef was WONDERFUL and every meal was perfect. Funny, but my favorite food item was the breakfast burritos! I am a experienced scuba diver and having a place that caters also to divers was really great for me! Most of my group are not divers- and they took care of each and every one of us like we were all that mattered. Freddie, the dive master, was one of the BEST I have ever dove with! I am so looking forward to going there again! (and I NEVER go to the same place twice!) They have the tour guides and activites all nailed down, and it was nice to know that I could do whatever I wanted, and they had me totally covered. I met SO many nice people, and I really appreciated the environment that allowed for a fun, easy way to make new friends! Thank you Capt Ron, Barry, Ashley, Freddie, Eli, Elbin, Sapo and ALL of the staff and St. George's Caye for an AMAZING trip!

Room Tip: I had an "over the water room" which was great because it was calm- but it got HOT over th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank holly4scuba

We very much appreciate the praise for our staff and managers - it is always nice to have the hard work and true caring attitude of our people recognized. Taking care of a group of 22 diverse people with highly differing expectations and requests is a challenge for a boutique resort, so we are pleased that your program was a success, and that nearly every one of your team was thrilled with the experience. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

The other reviews are absolutely true, St. George's is a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back! The island is so pretty, the diving was amazing, and the food was incredible (they have a new gourmet chef, Ernesto, and he's fabulous). But it is people who work at St. George's that make the resort such a special experience, they made us feel like we were at our own perfect little tropical island home.

Room Tip: We loved our cabana over the water, they don't get much of a breeze but what an amazing view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Barry and his staff made for a relaxing and wonderful vacation for my daughters and I! The reviews I read were spot on for describing this gem. I don't get to travel often, so I was very happy to find the resort even better than I expected. I loved the comfortable, almost family-like feel that comes with staying here. We loved meeting Barry's wife and their beautiful little girl, who was often on the hip of one of the staff. Eli and Elban, the two Belizean brothers working the bar and serving meals were very engaging and left nothing for want. My daughters are 19 and 21, and while I was a little worried they might be bored with no nightlife or shopping on the island, they thoroughly enjoyed exploring the island and relaxing their stay away. We all wish we were back there!

We stayed on ocean side in wonderful, clean cabanas, and were very grateful for the constant ocean wind. I can see though why the calmer "bay" side would appeal to others. The food was incredible! And once again, they bent over backwards to accommodate individual tastes and likes. The "family style" dining was a new experience for us on vacation, and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting the other guests and sharing our days over the fresh juices, daily homemade breads and fresh, interesting meals. We learned that a lot of the produce came from the family farms of Eli and his brother back on the mainland. It couldn't be more fresh and delicious. I'm not sure if they appreciate the farm-to-table nature of it that so many restaurants in my area are trying to achieve! The grounds of the resort were impeccably maintained, and the island itself was a treat to explore. We made great use of the kayaks, and got to take a sail on the hobie cat around the island (thanks Eli!! He took me out on one of his breaks!). Everything was available for use whenever you wanted, just grab them off the beach. Mostly, we just relaxed on the beach or in our hammocks reading and enjoying the warm sun. The highlight of the trip was a dive trip with Jose, the dive master. I'm certified but my girls were not, but after their pool course with Jose, they were very comfortable on our reef dive-which was incredible!!

All said and done, an incredibly relaxing stay! From being met on time at the airport to putting us back on the plane, and everything in between, we wanted for nothing. Barry runs a smooth, fun operation! I can see that this resort is not for everybody though. It's not all shiny and new. There's no beer-pong and out of control kids. But, if you want to kick back and relax I can't think of any place better. I can see this as a great place for honeymooners or a romantic get away. And if you want to dive, cave tube, tour temples, etc., it's all available for the asking. I can only hope to get back to that cabana some day....

Room Tip: Ocean front cabanas had a constant breeze! The ones just behind them we heard were just far enough...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Athens Gate Beach Resort
#3 of 53 in San Pedro
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!