“Wonderful place to relax”

St. George's Caye Resort
Lawrence, Kansas
“Wonderful place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at St. Georges and it was perfect. We spent our first night in Belize City in order to go to one of the Mayan ruins before we went to the island. A driver from the Island picked us up at the bed and breakfast we stayed at and took us to the dock to catch the boat to St. George's. Once we were on the island it was time to relax. The staff went above and beyond to make our trip perfect especially Santiago and Theresa. My husband enjoyed fishing off the docks and they were always offering to provide us with bait and supplies. The food was wonderful and we enjoyed the family style dinning. Our rooms were always cleaned and tidied up while we were at breakfast. They arranged our fishing and snorkeling trips and everything was so easy. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great place to enjoy some snorkeling, diving, kayaking and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Whitley A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at St. George's over spring break for a study abroad trip in March 2012 and it was an amazing experience. The staff are some of the nicest and down to Earth people I've met and the scenery was absolutely amazing. The food is family-style and was all natural and organic as well as tasty. There were only a few items which I wouldn't normally eat, but by the time dinner rolled around I was so hungry from having so much fun I would eat it and be glad I did.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Jacksonville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

While I cannot say our visit was not enjoyable, I feel that people should be aware of exactly what they are purchasing before booking this resort. It was beautiful, quiet and serene, and several days we had the beach completely to ourselves. That being said, I can hardly call this place a resort. Church camp continually came to mind, as meals were very structured, at set times, and without options (except for breakfast). Like it or don't eat, and the "snack bar" had chips or popcorn. There is a $150.00 fee round trip to go Belize City, so dining elsewhere is out of the question. The room amenities are straight out of Motel 6, from linens to nonexistent water pressure in the tiniest of shower stalls. One side of the island is too muddy to wade out and swim, and the other side is clean, but saw a Crocodile there day one, so opted not to swim at all. All the other couples stuck to the pool. Free rum punch every day means ONE, and after being greeted at the dock on arrival, drinks will not come to you. Everyone there was very nice, but the staff is minimal, so the bartender becomes a server at mealtime and you'll be drinking water from the communal pitcher. We enjoyed the excursions immensely, and the privacy was unbelievable, but I cannot say I would visit again.

17 Thank JackandJudi
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2015
We are very sorry that St. George's did not meet your expectations. We try to convey the facilities and experience through our extensive website, and based on other guests' feedback we seem to do so pretty effectively. We have added many photos to our website since your visit in order to even more thoroughly show others what to expect.

Even though our facility is not what you prefer, we are very happy that you loved the service and the excursions - a good introduction to Belize.

For future visitors, we do recommend exploring our website and contacting us if you have any questions or concerns prior to making your reservation. We are committed to wonderful experiences in Belize for all guests.
Murphys, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very good food and lodging. The dive boats and staff are top notch. We were a group of 11 friends and had a very enjoyable time. The resort was the outstanding feature. The diving was OK, but no shore diving, or nearby snorkeling. Trip to the mainland to see Mayan ruins was spectacular!

Room Tip: Do not stay on lee side of island, too hot and no breeze.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chesterfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our second trip to a Belizean Caye in the past 30 months. This time we stayed at St. George's Caye as it did not require an additional flight once we landed in Belize City. We were greeted at the airport by a friendly driver who quickly took us to the docks were you take a 25 minute boat ride to the island.

The island was significantly larger than the resort we had earlier visited and includes several private homes. The resort itself is small and friendly. The total number of guests during our week stay varied from 4 to 18. We booked an over the water Cabana that had a beautiful view of the sunset but there was very little air that moves on that side of the island. The rooms are air conditioned so they were comfortable but we like to sit outside and we were not able to do so comfortably. We moved to a beach front room on day 3 and there was a really nice breeze that blew every night making relaxing on the roomy front porch of our cabana sipping wine very enjoyable.

The staff was courteous and friendly. English is the primary language in Belize so communication is never a problem. There are many items that are included in your stay...I really enjoyed using the Hobie Cats to go sailing. One afternoon,my wife and I passed directly over a pod of manatees about 300 yards from shore. I am not a diver, but the divers there indicated it was a great location to do so if you are not afraid of drowning like me. :-)

The meals are included in your room fee and served at the main building where you sit with the other guests. The food was above average for these type of resorts with a good variety. We had a vegan guest that they accommodated at each meal. The bar is well stocked and they have a good variety of specialty drinks. It should be noted that the bar in not included in your room fees and if you are like me on vacation it can add up pretty quickly.

My only negative comment is that while they have built a beach to relax on it is really not a "swimming" beach. Once in the water you will quickly sink to your ankles in mud and silt. As someone who loves the beaches of Tulum this fell well short of that standard.

Overall, this was a great place to go relax and enjoy superior service and facilities. We will go back again and soon.

Room Tip: The above the water cabanas were a little disappointing as you are more over sand than water. But t...
4 Thank gibbons63
Thank you for choosing St. George's Caye this visit. Just a note to other travelers to see my comments about our new swimming beach - we now have it all for our guests! Thank you for the feedback.
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I recently spent a week at the St. George's Caye Resort and was very very impressed. The setting is spectacular. This all inclusive resort has it all. The food was excellent and the staff very very helpful. I was especially impressed with their dive program and dive master. The resort is only minutes from the reef and offered a whole range of dive/snorkel options that I felt comfortable with. I can't wait to get back there.

Room Tip: The bay side cabanas have a wonderful sunset.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Pat M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband surprised me with this trip to this amazing island and it FAR exceeded my expectations! I knew nothing till right before and I told him I wanted quiet, beautiful and secluded. Wow is all I could say for almost a day! We had a cabana over the water and the sunsets were breath taking along with being able to just jump right into the water with the most beautiful fish. They had group dinners and at first I was thinking "I'm not sure about this" then we got the chance to meet so many sweet, nice and interesting people! Our room always looked great. Our food was so good we couldn't wait for the next meal. It was the best place in the world to us and we love to call it "our island cause we will be back" we did the Myan tour where the driver Cornell knew I wanted to see a monkey and let me feed one, we snorkeled we went on the kayak, and sailed in a Hobie Cat where we saw dolphins, a manatee I did get on video. The bar staff was so nice and everybody that was there was on cloud nine. Just a terrific place to go get away and leave your troubles behind. If there's a problem tell the management they are 100% willing to fix any concerns. I would continue and have in person, I just can not give this place enough credit.

Room Tip: Bring an underwater camera, a great attitude, and get ready to relax!
1 Thank Michael H
"Amazing Honeymoon" Every couple should have one - thank you for sharing with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's Caye
Victoria House
Victoria House
#9 of 54 in San Pedro
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,262 reviews

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!