“Fabulous help from Stephanie”

Le Clos Deauville Saint Gatien
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous help from Stephanie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Our rent a car broke down outside this hotel. Stephanie at the front desk made multiple calls to Avis and the insurance company to get a tow truck and transport to Caen to pick up a new car. We were so fortunate to find such a helpful person, it may have helped that her father was Australian like us. We are very greatfull. Whilst we were there we had a look around impressions were very good. The grounds looked well kept, the lounge and dining areas comfortable and inviting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here from 23rd to 27th December, and were a bit apprehensive about it, from some of the reviews on this site. However, our room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had both a bath and shower. We had several meals in the restaurant, and the food was excellent. The staff were friendly and eager to help. We did find that the water in the swimming pool was not as warm as we wanted, but other guests were happy with it. We would have liked a kettle in the room to make tea, but otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would go again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan H
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Excerpt from a letter of complaint to the Hotel:

"I am writing to complain about the inadequate room and appalling service my wife and I encountered during our stay at your hotel"

We booked at your hotel specifically after a wonderful stay the previous year and anticipated another experience, especially as we arrived late, exhausted and very wet after a long drive from the South of France. Exceptionally for hotels, we were charged for our room before we were shown it, in retrospect, a wise move by the hotel.

We were shown to Room 53, and settled in for a good evening, only to discover that, although the room was of an adequate size and furnishings, the bathroom appeared to be set in a very small cupboard, the separate toilet not being much better. To accommodate it,, the bath was very narrow, of little use to me who am on rather a large size. To get out of the shower, one had to open the door of the cupboard, and I found it actually dangerous trying to navigate my exit, with risk of slipping or falling as I twisted round the door.

After a great meal in the evening, we felt much better however, and decided to tolerate it, but when I settled up the bill for my meals the next day, and was asked if everything was well, I felt I had to say a word. The receptionist appeared shocked by my description and apparently also because I was in Room 53. She spent some time checking how we had been given this room and asked if it had been a late booking. In fact we had booked several months previously. My deduction was that this is not a room normally offered to guests and, from something said guess it was used for employees.

The duty manager was standing behind her, and I proposed she took the matter up with him, but although he clearly heard my concerns moved rapidly away at this point and buried his head in a computer terminal. As he had made clear he didn’t want to get involved I did not press it, as this would place her in a difficult position and I did not want to spoil the end of a great holiday with a row. The receptionist had already apologised and tried to settle the matter by offering us a different room the following night, which was of course impractical as we were on route back to England.

Still content to let the matter pass I returned a little later to hand in our key, when the duty manager was the only person at the reception desk. I thought, however, that I ought to mention the matter to him. His initial response was that he did not know what I was talking about, which was clearly untrue as explained above. When I pressed him, his only response was that he had not been on duty the previous evening, so it was nothing to do with him. I then pointed out my concern that the situation was potentially dangerous – an allegation that in England could not be ignored. Apparently, it can in France and he ignored me! Shocked, I then told him I would complain, but he had nothing further to say and turned away from me.

Without the manager’s appalling rudeness I would not be complaining about a bad situation, which could have been resolved by a simple apology from him.

As it is, what could have been a regular booking from me, has been lost with a great deal of ill-will"

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Aline H

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Gatien-des-Bois hotels

Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

If this were in fact a three star hotel. I also wonder what the travelers were ingesting who rated this filthy (read my other reviews- I don't believe I have ever used this word before, and certainly not to describe a hotel in Normandy), mold-ridden (same comment), atrociously equipped old nag of a trap.
Very sorry to say, despite the lovely lawn and flowers, the furniture is best described as "Appalachian Yard Sale" (of the Walker Evans variety) and the mattresses as "ancient, lumpy bags of mites." The lower level help are charming and mean well, but management is stingy and incompetent. The building has a "do it yourself" or "bricoleur" feel, repeat with paper-thin walls, dangerous staircases built not-to-code and not to tread-riser conformity, bathrooms that manage to smell bad, work poorly, and not accommodate human bodies - it just goes on and on.
Add to that our items missing from the room and uninterested management, and we say, "never again."
Activities - tennis court of the "weedy parking lot" variety (really not an issue, since all around are excellent and available courts and other sports facilities, stay in a clean hotel with good mattresses and a functioning HVAC system, get a good night's sleep and go enjoy!), no functioning gym, would never dream of trying a pool or sauna in an unclean and disturbingly poorly built and maintained facility such as this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank feinschmeckerpartout
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I went there for Easter for two nights with my husband. Normally, we don't book any hotel in this area as we have the chance to have someone in our family who has a house nearby. Yet, it was already full. Thus, we decided to get a room there.

I want to precise first of all that I don't like writing bad reviews and that my opinion is not biased by anything. I'm thus sorry to say that I really disliked this place and regretted my booking. N.B: it was very cold in deauville that period (and for that period!): around 8°C.

The room: we tried two: a roof top one (dreadful: small, no view, a glummy staircase, a tiny damp bathroom, very cold with only a small heater looking like a toaster in the middle of the room...We left in after 5 minutes as I preferred to sleep in my car rather than there, honestly), a ground floor one (which we kept, despite the view on the car park, the old fashioned and cheap furniture, the terrible hors d'âge mattress, the absence of heating - only in the toilets, can't tell you why but can tell you we kept the door of it opened to get some warmth - the very small bathroom).
That's for me the real bad point: that's one of my first expectations in a hotel: to have a room where I feel comfortable or, at least, all right.

I didn't try the diverse equipments as I would flee from there as soon as breakfast was ended, I just had a look at them since my room wasn't far from the inner swimming pool and the hammam place.
By the bye, the staff is nice and welcoming (...mm, weird, yet: they apoligized a lot for the first room, "now that they could see us, they understood that it was not the right room for us. It's a shame she has just given this lovely room to these people before us..." =??? is there a room depending on the person you are?). The breakfast is good with a quite wide choice (but you pay an extra 14 euros charge per person for it - which is about the price of breakfast-in-room in a "relais et château"!) in a quite nice room on the ground floor.

Concerning the prices: honestly, I don't think it is worth the price, so (about 110 e the room per night + 28 e breakfast). Actually, it seems that many things are subject to extra charge, as I could read in the room: bathrobe, tennis rackets...etc.

I didn't put the worst mark yet, as I consider I didn't try all the equipments and that, maybe, I was unlucky with the room.. And because the area is quiet and not too far from Trouville. However, I definitely wonder why this hotel is member of Châteaux et Hôtel Collection...?! For my part, I won't put a toe there again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank isabrit05
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Great reception, speedy allocation of our room, which was very nice - until the cleaner went past ! It was so noisy and it became clear that the ground floor of the original part of the hotel was not the place to be. In fairness, our complaint was dealt with quickly and efficiently; we were moved to a better room in the new wing at no extra cost. One wonders why we were given that room originally. The spa facilities are good, the food excellent (dinner and breakfast) and the wine sublime.

Room Tip: Do not accept a ground floor room in the original part of this otherwise good hotel