“Overall glad I came but both the positive and the negative reviews are right!”

Chateau de l'Aubriere
London, United Kingdom
“Overall glad I came but both the positive and the negative reviews are right!”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The chateau is stunningly beautiful from the outside and the hostess is very charming. Its also, however undeniable that the rooms are tired, shabby and in need of a very serious make over. I would usually refrain from making a negative review if I like the proprietor but I would just say here PLEASE spend some money on renovation, you have such a beautiful property and it would really benefit from it. Personal service and uniqueness definitely add huge plus points but if you are paying 250 euros a night you do expect something slightly less worn.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank member74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This castle is very charming. Do not expect a sterile hotel room, but a real, old and pleasant room. The floor is creaking, etc, but what do you expect from a real old castle? The lady is very attentive and guards over the guests like a mother. The garden is beautiful with a great swimming pool. A good solution if you want to spend a nice chateau-experience in a warm environment.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bram V
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I don't write reviews but when I saw the negative comments on this site I just had to speak up! I stayed at this most amazing chateau last August and am looking forward to staying again this year. I don't know what some people expect! The chateau is beautiful and OLD and YES OF COURSE the floor boards creak and the carpets are worn . . . that adds to the character! I've stayed in other castle hotels and yes I've seen many that are better appointed but all of them put together couldn't hold a candle to the amazing hospitality my daughter and I received at this chateau. Of all the castle hotels I've stayed in on my trips through France this is the only one that I am returning to. Not for the carpets but for the unforgetable experience of those wonderful hot croissants cooked for us by the charming Countess and the juice she squeezed for us from fruits from her trees. Does it get better than that? She was delightful from the moment we arrived until the moment we left! I'll have 'plastic marble' in the bathroom over plastic staff with plastic smiles any time! I can't wait for my next stay!

Room Tip: Our room was quite 'tired and worn' and the ensuite did have 'plastic marble' so, if...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank carlaodell
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

What a great experience! We were made so welcome to this most amazing chateau and family home. The whole place and grounds are beautiful, the rooms huge and very comfortable.

Our evening meal was wonderful as was the wine and attention from the very charming Countess.

A wonderful time and can't find fault. No idea where the poor remarks on this site came from, clearly not on the same planet! No hesitation recommending this superb chateau to anyone, we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Choice of rooms all very different so look first to choose one to suit your taste
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Carmel Valley
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had booked a four night stay here based on location and the look of the hotel on the internet. There was one previous bad review which I ignored....mistake! Every step on the floor produced a loud creakI, the carpets were dirty and frayaed, the walls were chipped and dirty, the bathroom "marble" was plastic. We dropped off our luggage and drove around the area fretting about what to do, then we saw a sign for another "chateau" and followed it to a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous setting. One of the staff at this new hotel confirmed that they did indeed have a room for us for 4 nights and made a call (in french) to the owner of this hotel for us.. When we returned for our luaggage I must say the owner was most gracious when we said we didn't want to stay there and charged us for one night only . The new place we found was Domaine de Beauvois, only 10 euros per night more and well worth the change.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We had seen both positive and negative reviews on this hotel and having been there, we now have to side with the negatives. Overpriced for what it was -- "faded glory" is an apt description. Rooms were shabby; bathroom carpet a bit scary. We didn't eat there because it was too expensive. The hostess was charming until we were ready to check out and she told us she had us booked for 6 nights rather than 3. (We had booked through Venere.com. Hostess told us we needed to contact Venere; we later contacted Venere, they told us we needed to contact her. Nothing was ever resolved. ) We left, as planned, after 3 days but had to pay for 6. There are many other hotel options and we suggest choosing something else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank culturevulture45
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We spent one night in an expensive "suite" The rooms were dirty, the bedspead looked as if it had never been cleaned, the bathroom is carpeted and smelly and although there is a mini-bar, it is stocked with very expensive out-of-date rubbish.

All rooms are upstairs, and carry your own luggage, which is fine if we are not paying 180Euros for the pleasure. Security is a nightmare, so do not take any valuables there. The owner speaks little English and does not attempt to help. Breakfast is a very overpriced 15euros and there is nothing within walking distance. The location is on the outskirts of Tours, and given that there are over 300 establishments closer to the attractions of the Loire Valley, there is nothing good about this place. No wifi for business, nothing for leisure travellers either.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Nazelles-Negron
Chateau de Pray
Chateau de Pray
#1 of 1 in Charge

Been to Chateau de l'Aubriere? Share your experiences!