Fuerteventura Princess
US$138
US$133
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Ambar Beach(Jandia Peninsula)
US$123
TripAdvisor
Esquinzo(Esquinzo)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
1,888 results
All reviewsnaturist areamain restaurantclub lookealate breakfastpiano barevening entertainmentsaladsteam roomhalf boardmorro jabletiles missingplenty of choicerelaxing holidaynearest townnudist poolplenty of sunbedsbus service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2007

There's a few positives with this hotel; although having just got back yesterday what has remainded fresh within my mind is not the well kept gardens and spotlessly clean rooms as indeed everywhere else is, nor the lovely pools or ample amenities. No, what overides these nicer factors are the negatives. Mealtimes come back to haunt me especially. We stayed on a half board basis (and plenty of choice there was too if somewhat 'unsurprising' after a week) which meant that the moment your last forkfull touched tongue your plate was whipped away from you with such force that it nearly dislocated your jaw. Somewhere down the management line an edict was declared that said the moment a customer dare show sign of dropping a fork, get in there, and get that plate! Over three courses (and being the kind of person who's interested in these things) I managed an impressive average 'whipped-away' time of 49 seconds! By the second day I decided to play it cool and kept my fork at mid plunge underneath a temptingly empty plate, which kinda foxed 'em until they cottoned on to my game and decided to push an elbow in my face to get to the object of their mania, whatever the cost of riling me would be. There's nothing better than a nice relazing evening meal with an army loitering over one's shoulder! Maybe the plates were on loan? Maybe we were all under a 'wrap' time, a call-centre version of dining? In short I felt like one of them pelicans swallowing a fish the size of a french stick.

Other silly things were equally incredible; if say you wished to have a drink and decided to take a gander at the cocktail list, chose, and then wait for your drinks to return, and if the said cocktail list was not placed back in its place, the waiter/waiteresses obsessive complusively needed to address the wayward list before placing your drinks on the table. Folded back, placed to the left of the table with ashtray atop. Why? Time after time this was done, as time after time I couldn't darn make up my mind which cocktail I fancied. However, what made me rather glad to come back home yesterday to sub-zero temperatures was the general lack of atmosphere at the Princess. It's a huge hotel and I felt a bit like Jack Nicholson in the Overlook Hotel in the film the Shining; whereas Jack drove himself crazy for his own peculiar reasons, I was being driven demented by the miserable faces of the staff - sad to say it as well. Service was grudging, a chore, efficient in the wrong places and missing basic common hospitality in the obvious regions: please, thank you, not talking to another member of staff while serving a customer etc. Things I suppose we take for granted back home.

The hotel is pretty much a Germanic outpost in fact that adds another stiff atmosphere to the hustle of mealtimes where the odd Arian elbow in the eye is par for the course; I'm trying to think did I hear laughter at all over the week? Erm, no actually. In fact I didn't hear much of anything apart from the quiet hum of misery building as staff knuckled down to the coal face of trying to be nice before quickly throwing the towel in and resorting to what came natural. It's not like me to be frightened away from any bar, but...

After only two days I began to think what I was going to write about the Princess on this esteemed site when I got back home, lest some other soul venture there with certain glossy notions. I scribbled a few words down, about six sides of A4: HELP! HELP! HELP! I realised I'd seen this somewhere before and so decided to play softball by myself, pitching for a few hours in one of the wide open and featureless areas of ten thousand unoccupied chairs. The thud-thud of the ball finally aroused the suspicion of a member of the merry staff who came over (tidying cocktail lists and scouting out for plates along the way) to tell me I was to cease my play.

The real paradox with this place is that it is peaceful (not tranquil, that's different) but it's impossible to relax. If Heaven had a waiting room for those of us who'd displayed more than our fair share of sins on Earth, it might be like one of the enormous expanses in the Princess. You'd sit and wait, and wait, and after a while you'd realise this was it, this was the punishment. If lucky a drink might be dropped in front of you to quench your thirst, or a meal to last you over the stretch of Eternity, but rest assured, neither'd make you feel any better. You're here and you're an imposition, get used to it!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank MWales
DireccionFTV, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Fuerteventura Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.
We are currently improving our customer service and would like to apologise that we were unable to respond to your review sooner as our guest’s opinions are very important to us. For further information please visit our webpage.

Reviewed 19 December 2007

This has got to be one of the best hotels I have experienced in the four star category. In terms of presentation, service, catering, cleanliness, facilities and location.
To expand abit, let me correct some of the negative points others have criticised on here.
There are no parosols, but there is a vast selection of lovely sunny and shandy places all round the terrace areas, to meet all requirements. The walls are not that thin, it's the same as being at home, you occasionaly hear someone walking around, but it's hardly a place full of hardend ravers!!
The food is of an excellent quality. It serves an international clientel and it meets all their tastes. Food presentation is exceptional and I have never seen a buffet style operation replenished so often during service. Hot food was always hot and servery areas were immaculate. If you can't find something to meet your tastes or dietry requirements here then you need to visit a dietition!
Bar service is excellent, as soon as your bum hits the seat someones there to take your order. You can sign or pay cash and when iI got my extras bill it was spot in accurate. They ensure you sign so it's very hard for them to inflate your bill.
Pool areas are immaculate and there is an area for everyone, children/family pool area, lawn areas, quiet pool terrace areas and an oasis nudist area.
language wise, yes there are Germans here, aswell as all other European nationalities. The staff generally speak a little English and German and it really is limited. So when your British don't think it's English they don't speak weel, the Germans have the same problem. But everyone gets by and the staff understand what you need and request. This is not a predominantly German hotel, it's mainly British and German with a bit of everything else thrown in for good measure!!
I could go on and on, but overall when you pay 4 star prices your getting more than value for money here to a very high standard. If it's not good enough for you then dig alot deeper in your pockets and pay 5 Star Lux prices or stay at home.........One of the best and most comfotable holidays I had........

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
16  Thank MarkDearden101

Reviewed 19 November 2007

we could not stand this hotel it was like being in butlins the walls wewe paper thin the staff were so unhelpful and very rude the pool didnt have any parosols round the pool you had to pay for clean towels round the pool the food was o.k but the service awful we would never go back no way was this hotel a 5x platium

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank cuffley6

Reviewed 9 November 2007

This place is simply heavenly.
It is on the beach, miles of soft sand, no stones, warm sea, freedom to naturist sunbathe on the beach, in the sea and in the hotel, in a secluded area.If you haven't tried it you will be very tempted and should give it a go.
Food was of a good enough quality, plenty of variety. Late breakfast overlooking the sea was great.
No shortage of sunbeds, no need to reserve. Evening entertainment was pleasant enough, daytime entertainment was there but we were too busy relaxing. Staff were helpful but not overly friendly. Service was good, we broke a glass in our room, a cleaner was there in minutes to clean up and replace the glass. Air conditioning was effective and quiet ....could you possibly ask for more?

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank AnnaPolly18

Reviewed 10 October 2007

Intro:

We have just arrived back from a fantastic week in fuerteventura, the weather was brilliant, we had to keep reminding ourselves it was October!!! we traveled to the hotel with Thompson's, the flight and transfer went without a hitch, I will forewarn you... there transfer there is quite daunting by the fact you spend an hour driving though nothing but mountainous desert, but once you arrive all becomes clear! I would like to point out here.. that this review may seem overly negative, don't be fooled, this is a good hotel, its just the positives are way to many to list.

Check in:

Check in was swift and professional, our bags were taken and we were ushered to get to dinner as it was late, (I will get to the food later). We then had the opportunity to have some 'fun' trying to find our room with the ever so slightly useless map they provide, we did however find it 20 minutes later. We then waited... and waited... for our bags... they came about an hour after we had checked in, not good, lucky for the porter he didn't wait for a tip! Because I would of given him one, “be quicker”.

The room:

In the heat of a good 12 hours traveling (driving/waiting/flying/transfer) we were disappointed with our room on first impression. The room was (almost) as pictured on the websites, however to my partners disgust there were no towel swans... it didn't bother me personally but we are all different! The big issue with the room was that we, with what it turns out to be most brits, got stuck into what is an almost semi-basement room. If you Imagen the room is built into a slope so half of the room is technically underground, this meant the balcony was VERY SMALL but what did it, was the fact it was closed off with a thick moth eaten hedge. This along with the balcony light attracted so many insects it made it totally unusable! The walls were also not sound proof at all. We had the pleasure of listening to the bed going like crazy both next door and above us, to be fair I did enjoy mimicking one womans vocalness back through the wall at them, to which the springs immediately stopped creaking... there is a tip for a good nights sleep in there somewhere! The tv is all in German and Spanish, CNN is the only watchable channel as sky news seems to run on a 10 minute repeat cycle. I did have the pleasure of seeing Deal or no Deal in both German and Spanish though... thats got to be worth flying out there alone for...hmmmm. We knew this was the case before we got there from other reviews and said “ah we wont be watching tv.. what moaners” however when you think you come in at 5, and don't eat until 8... you need something!

The Grounds:

The rest of the hotel ranges from nice to great, unfortunately, the pools are not heated so are as good as unusable for most, we probably spent less than 30 minutes in them all holiday.

The beach:

This is where the holiday completely turns around. The beach is totally awesome! Lovely fine sand and a clear blue ocean, it is also not very busy at all (if you go to the right bits) which meant it was spotless and little fish swim around you in the sea, one sort just randomly swims about at ground level while another sort swam in formation (a group of maybe 20) an inch below the surface, which was a great sight as they let you get within meters before darting off. The sea ironically is a lot warmer then the pools! This is where we did all of our swimming! On the final few days the breeze picked up and the waves were huge, about 5 foot high only meters from the shore, great for body boarding etc. A 40 minute walk down the beach takes you to jandia, or “moro Jabel” as they call it, you wont find “jandia” as thompson call it on any map! I wont lie there is little there, a spar though which is nice, as you can pick up for instance a 1L bottle of vodka for 5 euro's, and the 11 Euro bottle of champagne we brought from the hotel shop for 4 euros (they sell wine but they don't give you are bottle opener, so something popable it was) that explains why it tasted so bad. Its a £2.50 bottle of cava!

The Staff:

The staff for the most part were fantastic, something to note is, the myth that all Spaniards pop out of the womb speaking fluent English is just that, a myth. All staff only speak Spanish and maybe German. This for us is not a problem, I enjoy trying my hand at using the local tong, after all... I would not expect tourists in the uk to expect me to speak every language going for their benefit! Just to note though, if you can say “San Miguel” and “grassias” you'll be well away. The only staff we had issues with was the shop staff, 3 woman that just seems to stand and gossip and are about as rude as you can get when it comes to buying their well well well overpriced goods. If you can get them to acknowledge you are even there your on to a win.

Other Guests:

The hotel seemed to be made up or about 90% Germans. They were not in anyway a problem in how they behaved. We did find them very rude in terms of, if you hold a door for them, or let them through a narrow space they walk through staring strait ahead and completely blank you.. a smile is international.. but that seems to of overpassed them. I am not going over the top, after a week of complete rudeness of this kind of thing, and just randomly pushing in when in line etc you begin to get a little annoyed. I also found the way they talked to the staff quite offensive, not making any effort to speak any Spanish what so ever. Maybe its just the cultural divide! I guess its the price you pay for avoiding the wild brit crowds though. We noticed that the hotel also gives the German guests a champagne reception... they brits dont get that.

The Food:

Now we get to the nitty gritty. Breakfast was both ample in size and what was on offer, if you can Imagen it, its probably there. The only downside.. and something we heard many brits voicing, is that German guests are brought a pot of fresh coffee as they seat, we don't. We sat in the restaurant as it opened, every single table but ours had a fresh coffee taken over within seconds of people seating. We only got coffee at all on one day as I fixed a waiter with my messmer stair as my other half was pointing out VERY loudly so the whole area could hear about the obvious different treatment as he was talking some “other guests” their coffee as they had been seated a whole 3 seconds.

The pizza bar at lunch is both fantastic value offers great food. Not much more to say about it, thumbs up all round.

Evening meal... this was the biggest issue of the whole holiday, and in reality, the only issue was cant laugh off, the German coffee thing we found to be honest just funny, but thats the kind of people we are, silly things like that don't bother us, we just laugh at how obvious the way guests of different nationalities are treated. The evening meal however is no joke. First off the staff do a great job with the size of the eating area they have to manage. They deserve nothing but praise for how hard and fast they work. The size of the eating area ruins any plans you have for a nice romantic meal.. and as this hotel is 90% couples that is what most people will be wanting. It feels more like factory canteen. The food on offer to our pallets (and we are not fussy) is limited. It is not only a question of “do I normally eat that” its a question of “am I prepared to eat that”. The food choice was further limited by dishes I would normally eat, being untouchable as they were to be blunt, vile. I had chicken and it still had a load of the quills from the feather ends sticking out of it!!! the food was mostly as good as cold. I would of killed for something as good as “dodgy pub grub” that week. One night they had the audacity to have a themed night. It was spanish.. fair enough but all there was to eat was that mush with all the whole little fish sticking out of it. I cant believe how out of order they were. We had a small bowl of soup for starters and left. We gave up going to dinner in the end it was that bad!

Trips:

We went to the oasis park, which if you have been to any of these type animal parks before you will of seen it all. They provide a rep that speaks no English either! We were annoyed as the package Thompson offer gets you there for 9, and you are expected to take a camel ride up a mountain. The poor things have two seats, with most German guests (they are mainly on the big side) this is a total weight of at least 30 STONE! The poor animals groaned and wept as they were whipped at forced to lift the brutes on their backs, we, as we have morals... refrained. They are forced to climb the huge mountain nine times a day non stop chained nose to tail, when on the floor they tie their legs together back on themselves to they cant stand up! We were refused admission to the rest of the park until our group had finished the ride. Two hours wasted! The rest of the day, besides bothered by our non English speaking rep for “spare cigereto” even though we don't smoke was nice with great shows.

Finally:

Besides what seems like a negative review we did have an awesome holiday. But this was thanks to the beach, not the hotel! From talking to people we would book the cheaper “all-inclusive” next door if were could go back in time, as it shares the same great beach. Don't let this review put you off, the only thing that is a real problem is the evening meal but the other princess is meant to be a lot nicer for food!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple