“Hidden Gem”

Ristorante Cipriani
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Found this ristorante by chance whilst taking a roundabout route to get to Fiumicino airport.
The coast around here is unaspiring but head to Ostica Antica and across the road from the main site you find find this little enclave of cobbled streets, a peaceful haven from the crowds.
Choose from 3 Primi & 3 Secondi 10 euros including bread, water and expresso, wine extra but not expensive. Excellent fresh simple food, good company, great ambiance, no better way to spend a couple of hours.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Spending a morning meandering back towards Fiumicino Airport for a return journey, we found the coastal strip particularly devoid of charm... until we happened upon this beautiful enclosure of a few cobbled streets, church and castle.. and a handful of eateries including the Cipriani in the heart of one of the streets. The choice was simple: from 3 primi and 3 secondi. The gnocci in tomato sauce was as good as I have had, whilst my companions had the pasta & Bacala. Unable to eat fish or seafood I could not join the others in the Gamberetti, which they greatly enjoyed, so the only choice for me was the pork.... and it was the right choice. Tender, and in a delicious sauce of asparagus and mushroom, all was mopped up with the bread. Finished with an expresso and including a litre of sparling water between us... and all for €10 a head..... and for me a 1/4 litre picher of local white for another €2. A truly delightful way to close the holiday.

Excellen ambiance, flavour and value.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I love visiting Italy even though it doesn’t always feel like a typical holiday resort. It’s obviously very much a developed, working country. Even among the historic sites of Rome or Florence there will always be plenty of be-suited businessmen going about their daily business. Most affordable hotels in the cities tend to be in the immediate suburbs which are not always the most attractive areas of town. Well, you wouldn’t wander around Peckham snapping your camera and sighing ‘How quaint’, either, would you? Do you get my drift? These areas may be convenient but not necessarily what a ‘tourist’ is looking for.
This is why when going to Italy I try to stay a little bit off the beaten track. When visiting Rome I stay in Ostia Antica; only 20 minutes by train from the centre but in a world all of its own. Ruins of the ancient port of Rome sit close beside the magical medieval village with its castle and narrow streets. It’s a great place to relax in the evenings and enjoy a quiet leisurely meal in idyllic surroundings.
These leisurely meals can come at a cost, that’s why you’ll appreciate my enthusiasm when recommending the Cipriani restaurant in Ostia Antica.
‘Fixed Menu, 10 Euros’ says the sign outside the door. ‘Yeah, right’, I thought; ‘They’ll hammer you on extras’.
Some people are of a universally trusting disposition and then there are people like me. People like me know the ways of humanity. We are constantly suspicious. We are never wrong.
Except when we are.
The restaurant offers a limited table d’hote but includes dishes to suit all tastes. The food is delicious and there is plenty of it. The fee includes starters and a main course.
My wife and I ordered the dishes on offer but also enjoyed a litre of wine and a large bottle of fizzy water. I waited for the shock when the bill arrived. Those ‘extras’ would be our undoing.
‘26 Euros please’ said the waiter. 26 Euros? We’d been spending on average 60 everywhere else in the area!
The next day we really went to town; the set menu, the wine, water AND a dessert and coffees.
‘As you had some extras that will be 32’ the waiter explained.
Still about half-price!
As you can imagine this restaurant tends to get busy and booking is essential in high season. It’s closed on Wednesdays so buy yourself some mortadella and make a sandwich while you’re waiting for Thursday.
The staff have something of a problem with English but are all friendly and try hard. At these prices for this quality it’s worth learning Italian! If you can’t, don’t worry. The manager’s English is very good and as well as handling bookings and payment he will guide you through the menu explaining what everything means and even recommending choices.
Delicious food in incredible surroundings at a discount price. I can’t recommend this restaurant highly enough!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I cant say that I disliked anything. It was great value for money three courses and coffee or water for 10 euros. The food was of a high standard. I would definitely return to this ristorante.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Was recommended to us by friends who have lived in Ostia for 20 years. The come here often and i was very impressed by the food. The Bacala was excellent as well as the Pepper and Parmesan spagetti. The rest of the food was very good as well and the charming location inside the old town next to the Castello di Giulio II was very special.
Any excellent way to recharge after a few hours walking around Ostia Antica