“Disappointing”

PortBlue Las Palmeras
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Where to start I have just returned from a ten day holiday with my husband, daughter and
four year old granddaughter we stayed on a SC basis and prior to travelling I emailed the hotel
on 4 separate occasions and not once had a reply. The staff including Paco come across as fed up and have no interaction with the guests. The hot water goes off around 6pm every night, there are no cocktails served at the bar and when we asked for Sangria they opened a carton of ready made Don Simon and added some orange juice. There was no table service and always a queue at the bar. The pool area was acceptable but the sludge and grime in the ridge around the kids pool was clearly a breeding ground for bacteria. There are no inflatables at all allowed in the pool and my 4 year old granddaughter who was in the pool with my husband was reduced to tears when she was told she could not have her rubber ring on in the pool. The apartments were very basic and run down. We did meet some nice people and the Animacion team were fantastic with the kids

• Stayed July 2014
SAlgarHotels, Ecommerce at PortBlue Las Palmeras, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear June w,

Thank you very much for your review. We are really sorry that you didn't receive an answer about your request. Normally we always take note of special requests but can not confirm them until clients arrival.
All the apartments have individual water boilers, therefore the available water depends only on the amount used at the time by the ocupants of that particular apartment.
Regarding the comments related to health and safety, Las Palmeras passes regular and strict controls, obtaining always good results.

If you would like to send us any other comments, don't hesitate to contact me at info@salgarhotels.com.

We are sorry that your stay didn't met your expectations.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Erskine Scotland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed at Las Palmeras from 9th July to the 16th with my husband and 10 year old son. Having read some of the reviews prior to our arrival, we knew it was going to be a quiet resort. This turned out to be the case and so was perfect for our needs. S'algar itself was absolutely immaculate with not a bit of litter to be seen on the streets...very refreshing! There are 2 supermarkets and 3 small gift shops in the resort. However, if you are looking to shop on your holiday, Mahon is a 15 min bus ride away which you can catch directly outside the apartments (the times are listed there). This will cost you 1.70 Euros each way. There is a market which runs definetely on a Saturday and I think a Tuesday or Thursday which sells leather goods - bags, purses, sandals bracelets etc. Also found a stall which has football strips which pleased my son. (25 Euros for the shorts and top). We didn't spend a lot of time in Mahon but looks very pretty and we walked down to the harbour area where you can catch a glass bottomed boat trip (12 Euros for adult and 6 for child I believe and lasts about an hour).

Back to Las Palmeras. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and had booked a bungalow (34A we stayed in) which had its own little private garden, sunloungers, table and chairs and clothes dryer complete with pegs. The living area was very spacious and the kitchen etc was a handy extra with the fridge for keeping drinks cool. The pool was literally a stones throw away from our bungalow, as was the buffet restaurant. Meals in there are breakfast 8.30-10am, lunch 1-2.30 pm and dinner 7-9pm. Snacks of crisps and ice cream cones can be had at the bar inbetween these times and drinks of course. Despite reading the reviews before we left.....one which stated the food was bland, I have to completely disagree. We found the food to be extremely flavoursome and although a limited choice compared to previous hotels we have stayed in, the quality was first class, especially at lunch and dinners. Breakfast was cereals, pastries, bread( toasters provided), fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms or tomato, baked beans and mini hot dog type sausages. Lunch and dinners provided offerings such as steak, pork chops, chicken, veal, goulashes/stews, chips/potatoes, vegtables, salad bar, fresh fish, pasta dishes etc. My son loved everything he tried but to be honest he is not a fussy eater and enjoys a varied diet but they did have little fish goujons or chicken bites on for the younger clientele. Never a problem to have a lovely well-cooked and tasty meal! Compliments to the chefs! Also a soup on offer and desserts and fruit to finish off. How people can complain about the food is beyond me! Yes not a huge choice but an ample and extremely tasty one! Oh and just to say, we didn't use the separate pizzeria restaurant which you have to pay for but get 10 or 15 % off the bill.

Paco the manager could often be found helping out in the bar and restaurant if you can't locate him at reception and seemed a very nice man indeed and helpful should you require anything. We payed for Wi-fi for the week which was 3 Euros per day or 15 Euros per week, which allowed my son access to our tablet device for games etc. Failing this you get an hour free in the reception area per day. We also got a safety deposit key for the box in your wardrobe which cost 20 Euros but you get your deposit of 6 Euros back. Found the staff to be all very hard working and pleasant enough. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and really had no complaints about what was on offer.

We didn't spend a lot of time by the pool but chose to use the sports facility on a daily basis which is 1 km away (shortcut to be had through beautiful gardens with sea view-just ask Ros there to point you in right direction). We went there as my son is very sporty and wanted to participate in table tennis, football, tennis, french boules etc. There are organised activities at different times of the day for both adults and children alike but we found it didn't seem to be advertised in our apartments (not sure why) and so often was a poor turnout for kids activities. Sporting bar opens from 10-3 pm Monday to Friday and then again from 6-10pm and 10-6pm Saturday and Sunday. We often took a little cool bag with bottles of water if we were there between 3 and 6 pm weekdays as bar closed, however supermarket close by. Be warned though all inclusive doesn't commence until 11am if you wants drinks, snacks etc. Have to give a special mention to Ros (English lady who has lived there for 40+ years that works at the sports centre). She was an absolute delight and very kind during our visits and also helpful should you want to participate in an activity. Very well run and immaculately kepts sports facility (with sea views) and so quite strict guidelines in place to keep it at its best. Must have a top on (no bare chests to be shown) and if taking part in certain activities - football, tennis, guided walks etc must have trainers on. Thanks again to Ros who came to my husbands rescue after a little mishap with a cut eye playing football with local Spanish youths who also use the facilities there so great set up! Highly worth a visit.......my son loved it!!!!!

All in all we had the most wonderfully relaxing holiday and only wish it had been longer.

S'algar is a beautifully maintained and pretty little resort - yes no beach but you can go to beaches at other resorts if required. We used the S'algar express a few times...the little train that runs from 7-10pm each evening which is a bit of fun. Would highly recommend Las Palmeras apartment - beautiful spot....wee bit hilly if you have mobility problems perhaps. We met some really nice guests on our visit and my son made a new friend so a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Entertainment was fine but we didn't generally bother too much with it and preferred to have an evening stroll.

Would highly recommend if you like a quiet holiday - rest and relaxation!! Have a great time!!! I know we did!!!

9 Thank Ann Marie M
SAlgarHotels, Ecommerce at PortBlue Las Palmeras, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Ann Marie M,

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to know that you and you family enjoyed your stay in Las Palmeras.
About the sports area, all guests who wish to know the activities going on they just have to ask for it at the apartments reception.

We will be more than delighted to welcoming you again in the future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have just returned from las palmeras, went with a 4 year old n 15 week baby, also my parents. Had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday in a lovely quiet hotel.
The hotel and resort are very quiet but ideal for relaxing. The entertainment was on 4 nights a week n was ok, think my son would have preferred the mini disco to have been on more than 3 nights a week.
The food was good always something we all liked, in fact my partner and my dad really rated the food, and my son always had something he liked.
The pool area was very spacious and clean and although we got sunbeds everyday because we were up by 8 later in the morning people were looking for them. We had booked a bungalow which states it comes with 2 sun loungers in the garden however people looking for a sunbed did take these.
We booked a bungalow which was a great size and provided everything we needed. Maid service is only every three days but fine for us, I don't have clean bedding and towels at home everyday so don't need them away. There is bins situate around the complex to put rubbish in.
The staff were fantastic n all worked very hard, the ladies in the dinning room especially worked hard. The batman at the pool bar was also very nice n was great with my son who really liked him.
The resort itself is very quite and not for someone with mobility issues as it's a good 10 mins walk to the shops and centre, also there is no beach.
We never used sports facilities or the San Luis so can't comment on them.
Only couple of negatives is the flies and Mosquitos take something with you! Also the dinning room could get busy and u had to que for a table but the staff would work quickly to get you a table.
Overall very enjoyable!!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in a bungalow right near kids pool but all bungalows face the pool area.
2 Thank Sally62683
SAlgarHotels, Ecommerce at PortBlue Las Palmeras, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Sally62683,

Thank you very much for spending your time to write about your stay in Las Palmeras.
Regarding the mosquitoes, its usual that some mosquitoes appear in the afternoon when the sun comes down, since we are very near to the sea.
We will forward your comments and pass the to the staff and take note since our goal is to improve day by day.

We would be happy to welcome you and your family in the future.

Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have recently returned from a very relaxing 2 week holiday in Menorca staying at the Las Palmeras Apartments in S'Algar. Apart from an uncomfortable 2 hr delay sat on runway waiting for French Air Traffic Control to resolve their differences (which must have affected all flights) we found the Jet2 flight from Blackpool Airport both out and back a very easy, fast and efficient service, much less hassle than travelling to and from Manchester with all that queuing etc.
Overall very pleased with resort:- Pool and surrounding area very clean and quiet. Entertainment:- adequate to poor, but Hotel San Luis, a free 'train-ride' down the road, provided the main entertainment at much louder levels if you wanted a Pontins style holiday! Food:- we stayed B+B, but if you are vegie, there is very limited choice throughout the resort and only 2 small Spar type shops to choose from. Staff:- Limited number of staff are friendly and work hard doing multiple jobs. Apartment:- Clean and tidy, sheets and towels changed regularly and air-con working OK. only downside was that all TV was in Spanish and it wasn't clear whether plates and cups were microwaveable.
The Jet2 Rep. was at the airport on arrival and did attend the welcome meeting the following day, but for the following 2 weeks we did not see her again. We had inquired at the meeting about an Island tour to run on the Wed. the only day available to us within our stay, she said would phone us on Tues. morning to confirm places. On Tues evening received text saying it would not run. Perhaps a good thing then that we preempted her text by booking the tour with Thomas Cook Rep. Stephen Cooksley, who proved to be the friendliest and most genuine rep we have ever met. Not only did he visit all the hotels on a regular basis, he made time to listen too and chat to many holidaymakers in the resort and put them at their ease. We flew wit Jet2 but he is a most valuable asset and ambassador for Thomas Cook.
Having now seen other hotels and apartment complex blocks in Menorca, I would definitely return to and recommend Las Palmeras in S'Algar if you are looking for a quiet and relaxed break.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave A
Dear Dave A,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay in Las Palmeras, and finally managed to enjoy the island tour. Menorca is a lovely island with lots of special places.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We're are still on holiday here at las palmeras apartment it is a very quiet village only 3 restaurants no beaches only 2 supermarkets 2 gift shops 10 min walk to get water & any other bits. the little train only runs at night. If your not all inclusive it very expensive €4,50 a pint.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dennis S
Dear Dennis S,

Thank you very much for your review. We are really sorry that your stay is not meeting your expectations.
As you mention, S'Algar is a very quiet area but there are guests that search for a peaceful and quite Resort to relax during their holidays. Nevertheless, guests staying at Las Palmeras are more that welcome in the Sports area near to Hotel San Luis.

Since you are still in the Resort, we would be more than happy to assist you and make your stay more enjoyable. Staff will be delighted to help you.
In case you would like to upgrade to all inclusive your only have to ask for it in the reception.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

For review context please understand I have travelled for 40 years mainly across Europe and stayed in a variety of accommodation.Given this is my first ever review I would hope that you will realise I can put up with a lot and try and put myself in others shoes rather than just congratulating or condemning.
My issue therefore is that previous reviews are in some cases bizarre.
1.Paco and staff do clearly work hard but my observations were that a price is being paid and over the course of the season their service is suffering.Owners of LP please note and support them.
2.Food standards are not keeping with what Britain expects, food temps are poor generally lukewarm at best never saw them checked,no sign of fly buzz bars to keep them away from food , when cheeses are out becomes paradise in that area (in case you wondered they are not covered at all as are not the desserts) in fact next time I see my eho will query Eu laws versus ours
3.If you were going into a restaurant in Britain you would complain and report to eho, I assume we put up with it as it is all inclusive.
4.All inclusive runs 11-11 don't even think of getting anything outside of these times.
5.Don't expect entertainment on a regular basis or of any quality when it does.
6.Apartments decent size but need some maintenance e.g. painting , tile grouting, deep clean (our curtains were musty) didn't feel like this had been done out of season
On the positive side pool area is excellent and if you like it quiet and by that I mean monastery level you will love it plus if you need activity, facilities at Hotel San Luis are included (in the main) and are fantastic only a short walk through the residential area take note of organised activities times as for some reason they are not put up in Las Palmeras.
Finally understand I have written this for you to try and provide some balance to the other positive stuff and even though all the above is true still had a good holiday just not a great one.

4 Thank neil d
SAlgarHotels, Ecommerce at PortBlue Las Palmeras, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear neil d,

Thank you very much for your email. We are really sorry that your stay in Las Palmeras didn't meet your expectations.
Since you mention EHO laws, we comply with all the european regulations and have very strick controls every week.

If you would like to give us any further comments feel free to contact us under the following address. info@salgarhotels.com

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

having just returned from las palmeras this afternoon I wanted to write whilst it was all fresh in my mind! A short 20 minute transfer from Mahon airport and you are in the village of S'Algar. Las Palmeras is at the top of the village and a warm welcome awaits you from Paco. ( never has a day off). All the staff are friendly and seem to work day and night 24/7. The all inclusive option is great. 11am -11pm. ( you can upgrade on arrival for 42 euros per day) The food is good, always a choice and always hot. Crisps and ice cream available freely in between meals. We paid extra for a sea view but to be honest as you are so far from the sea it really was a waste of money. The rooms are big with a kitchenette and a lounge. Maid service every 3 days. there is a safe in the wardrobe 2 euros per day plus 6 euro returnable deposit. You can hire towels for the sun bed from reception 10 euro deposit and 1.5euro to exchange. when we arrived it was very quiet with hardly any children however this changed last weekend when Scotland broke up for the summer holidays. however there was still lots of sunbeds - you don't need to reserve as there are plenty. the pool did get noisier though. the local bus stops outside the front door as does the local Salgar express train. both are very handy. I would recommend this place especially if you have young children

Room Tip: bungalows are smaller and have gardens. lots of mosquitos around
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa W
Dear Lisa W,

Thank you very much for your review, for sure it will be very helpful for future guests.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Las Palmeras.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards.

Estefi C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near S'Algar
PortBlue San Luis
ILUNION Menorca
ILUNION Menorca
#6 of 9 in Cala Galdana
Aparthotel Paradise Club & Spa

Been to PortBlue Las Palmeras? Share your experiences!