“Weekend Getaway!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llantwit Major
London, United Kingdom
“Weekend Getaway!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the West House Country Hotel during a weekend in November to get away from a busy working few months.

The room we booked was one of their newly re-furbished rooms which we were delighted with. For anybody staying here it is definitely worth requesting one.

It is a family run hotel and therefore avoids all the typical coldness and unfeeling that so many larger hotels seem to have; but what really sets the West House apart from other hotels is the staff. They were so friendly and helpful without being false or overbearing. It was the perfect location to de-stress; the lounge where we read our books and enjoyed a beautiful log fire was a favourite.

During the day we drove along the Heritage coastline and enjoyed the wonderful scenery that the area offers.

We stayed at the hotel for dinner and enjoyed exceptional food that could grace the tables of any top restaurant. The menu was varied and there was plenty to choose in the wine list.
We would recommend this hotel to people who enjoy character and want a home away from home. We will certainly be going back and hopefully when it is a bit warmer, so we can enjoy the outdoors more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David M
WHCH, Owner at The West House, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break with us. I hope we do see you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2011

When my husband recently booked a romantic weekend break, it was so lovely to go back to the same hotel that we got married in six years ago. Everything about our stay was wonderful. We had a beautiful meal in the evening and the same at breakfast the following morning. The staff were all welcoming and very helpful. It brought back lovely memories of the happiest day of our lives!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie H
WHCH, Owner at The West House, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
I am delighted that you so enjoyed your return to our hotel for your romantic break. We are always pleased to see couples return after their weddings. Thank you for your comments. I hope we see you again.
Melbourne
Reviewed 7 October 2011

You could feel every spring in the bed digging into your back. The hotel had that old musty smell and the decor dated and run down. The shower simply didn't work. No one asked us upon check out if we enjoyed our stay... No need to wonder why!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Messyhair99
WHCH, Owner at The West House, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
We did experience some storm damage to our roof which soaked our landing carpet and underlay. As our carpets are custom made this regrettably took a bit longer than we had expected. They have now been installed and the musty smell has since gone. Two of our rooms have electric showers which have to be turned on to get hot water. We generally make a point of ensuring that our guests are aware of how they work. I apologise if we were remiss in doing so. Our Hotel is old, it is a sixteenth century historic building which for many exudes a memorable ambience and charm. It’s a great shame you did not make us aware of your concerns during your stay. Had we known of your dissatisfaction, we would have addressed them and have endeavoured tp make your stay more comfortable.

Travellers are raving about these Llantwit Major hotels

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Mature couple/part of a 14 strong U3A walking party who were based at the hotel.

We found the hotel cosy and clean - there was a strong smell of polish - and fairly comfortable, if a little 'tired' in its decor. The springs in the bed in our room (No 3) made sleeping a little testing however the en suite facilities were first class. There was no hair dryer in the room as advertised. Oddly some of the ceilings appeared to be partly finished.

The food in the restaurant for our party was interesting; there was insufficient amount of vegetables on the first evening and the food on the plates became cold whilst we awaited the vegetables to arrive. The dining room was understaffed for the numbers involved, However by the third evening the reverse was true more vegetables and staff to match. Food was generally tasty but there seemed a high reliance on rice as the staple ingredient (two out of three dishes on two occasions). The walnut/perl las cheese in poached pears starter was delicious.
The English cooked breakfast (can I say that in Wales?) was made with good quality (local?) ingredients.

Staff were generally very helpful and friendly.
Many of our party got extremely wet on our first afternoon and arrived back with wet boots/shoes which were taken from us to a drying area however we would have benefited from having the heating switched throughout the hotel on that evening too.

Overall a fairly comfortable stay for the price. (Bed, breakfast and evening meal at £50 per person in September 2011)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SandB123
WHCH, Owner at The West House, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Thank you for your kind comments. Our beds were recommended to us by our contract supplier, as that chosen by most Hotels. Most people comment on having had a good nights sleep. However we are taking your comments very seriously and have decided to test several products with the objective of finding a mattress that best suits all.
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I would equate my stay with a stay with my grandparents - the people who run this hotel are so sweet, and are always chatting with you and checking in to see how you are. The room I had was a little dated, but the bed was comfortable and the shower was fine in every respect (loved the towels - so soft!). Everyone was super friendly, and it was well located. The price I didn't find to be ridiculous, especially coming from London where everything is overpriced. The blowdryer in the drawer looked a bit old so I stayed away from it, but my room was otherwise very cute. Dinner was very good - I recommend the whiskey sauce with the sirloin; welsh cheeses are fantastic! I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank thoma22d
Pontmain, France
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and would not stay again at this over priced hotel which pretends it is far better than it is.
When we arrived reception had booked us into two different rooms ans seemed a little put out that we only booked one twin room.
The Room was small but beds were comfortable. The bathroom was spotless but the shower was more of a 'dribble' than a shower. Water pressure was so low it took an extra 10 minutes to rinse off. The bathroom door was bigger than the frame and wouldn't close. We went to the bar for a drink and there was nobody around to serve, despite ringing the bell in reception we had to wait a long time for service. The dining area is drab and the tables are far too close together. The food prices were very expensive for such a below average establishment. The information pack in the room says they serve bar snacks but when we asked for this service we were told they do not offer bar meals. The breakfast and parking facilities were good. This hotel is NOT worth the considerable over price they charge.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tiggernortheast
WHCH, Owner at The West House, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Quite often people book two or more rooms under one name. Our apologies if we got it wrong.
It was no problem for us to cancel one of them and I am sorry if it caused you a problem at check-in.
Pricing is subjective; we have rooms from £58 to £120 giving guests a good value for money choice depending on their requirements.
We obviously failed in providing you with the level of service that we are proud of and for that I am truly sorry. Regretably the the litany of time does not enable me to investgate and tell you why we fell down. All I can do is to apologise and assure you that your experience is certainly not the norm. Had we known of your dissatisfaction during your stay we would have tried to address them. I hope that you may visit us again one day and truely experience our warm hospitality.
EXETER
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights in June at the West House Country Hotel.
It’s situation and parking facilities are excellent.
The rest was not so good.
Having viewed the Hotel website we were looking forward to our visit.
Unfortunately there was only one other guest in the hotel which did nothing for the atmosphere.
Our room was fairly small, but adequate.
We had a drink in the bar and went in to our evening meal.
Our starter of garlic Prawns on salad looked a bit sorry for itself,and when we were asked “was everything allright” I told the waitress “That it was nothing special, and grossly overpriced “
She said she would inform the chef of our comments.
Having ordered a medium/rare steak I was surprised to find that it was extremely well done to say the least.
I chewed my way through half of it and left the rest.
Once again we were asked was everything allright. I showed her the remains of my steak and told her I was quite disappointed with the meal.
Again she said she would inform the chef of our comments.
The hotel website sings the praises of the quality of it’s food, but on the night, the chef had nothing more to do than to cook a fairly simple meal for two people and failed miserably .
Conversely breakfast was quite good.
Subsequently our pre dinner drinks were deducted from our bill
My advice to potential visitors here who don’t mind a fairly small average room to go down to the local fish, and chip shop for their evening meal.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank yokelExeter
WHCH, Manager at The West House, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us particularly when so many guests have had terrific breaks away. Our hotel is a great base to enjoy the many attractions in the area. We do have several different types of rooms ranging from standard to four poster. The standard rooms while smaller in size, represent what we feel is good value for money. With regard to the food I deeply regret your experience, particularly when our restaurant receives so many compliments with many of our restaurant guests returning time after time. I wish I could turn back the clock and make it right for you. Please accept my apologies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llantwit Major
Celtic International Hotel Cardiff Airport
The Brentwood Hotel
The Brentwood Hotel
#4 of 6 in Porthcawl

Been to The West House? Share your experiences!