We just spent a week at the Ferienhotel Wörthersee which is situated in Töschling just outside Pörtschach on the Wörthersee. The hotel is quite modern and the view from the rooms overlooking the Wörthersee is absolutely stunning. The hotel boasts a wellness centre with indoor pool, two saunas and an infrared cabin and offers various massages and treatments. There is also a bridge down to the lake itself where there is a small lido and a bar which was already closed for the season. The drawback with this hotel is that it is separated from the lake by a rather busy railway line but this applies to quite a number of hotels along this side on the lake as the railway runs all along the lake from Klagenfurt to Velden.
The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and obliging but, unfortunately there is nothing much to do in the evening and despite the fact that the hotel was quite full, all the guest must go to bed very early as the bar was virtually empty every night of the week. To go out you either have to get a taxi or drive yourself but even if you make it into Pörtschach there is not much going on either and all the bars around the lake shut down about 8pm. Admittingly it was the middle of September and it may well be different in the height of the season.
The biggest disappointment with the Ferienhotel Wörthersee was the food on offer as the Halfboard option which was advertised as 4 course dinner with Salad Buffet was rather poor. The choice of food which had to be made the evening before was a simple meat or vegetarian dish, a soup, a starter and a desert with no choice offered apart from the main dish. Everyone seemed to eat rather early and by 8.30pm the restaurant was deserted.
So all in all it was a very quiet holiday with early nights in bed as even the Satellite TV only catered for German speaking guests with not an English channel to be found.
Having said all that, Austria is a lovely country with plenty to see and do during the daytime and should you decide to go to the Corinthia Region then just make sure you get the KÄRNTEN CARD, a kind of credit card which gives you free admission to over 100 attractions such as Cable Cars, Boats on the Lake, Museums, Zoos etc etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ferienhotel has 50 comfortable rooms and apartments and is set in a beautiful location about 1,6 km far from the next village Poertschach, directly at the lake "Woerthersee," where you will watching the sun rising over Maria Woerth and setting behind the Karawanken Mountain Range. The surroundings offer many possibilities for walking tours, golf courses, bike ways and cultural highlights. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Ferienhotel Woerthersee reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ferienhotel Woerthersee Techelsberg
- Ferienhotel Woerthersee Hotel Techelsberg
- Ferienhotel Woerthersee Austria/Techelsberg