“amazing place”
Review of Pinard on Sea

Pinard on Sea
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bloubergstrand
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I've been here for some days spending a weekend over a business trip. The place is awesome fantastic view of table mountain. Owner Stan is very helpful. The place is clean, fresh and directly on the seaside. It may be difficult to sleep the first night with the shore and waves pushing against the rocks so bring some earplugs. Surrounding is amazing and good food easy around!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very Nice spot, just sat on my bed and watched the sea and table mountain for hours. The rooms were clean, well decorated and warm. The staff were friendly and overall I had a very nice few days there. Its also right next door to a decent restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the last room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Floor-to-ceiling glassed rooms, directly overlooking the ocean, with a breath-taking view of Table Mountain! Massive room on the top floor with wrap-around balcony, a bit narrow, but enough to sit outside and enjoy a coffee as the sun comes up, or wine as it goes down. The balconies on each of the three levels overlook each other, so you may find yourself raising a glass and shouting a cheerio to your fellow guests. In-room curtains can be drawn for privacy. A mash-up of items collected by the owners from around the world makes for interesting room decoration, but that’s part of its charm, and its ‘personal’-ity! Coffee plunger, coffee and amenities are in-room and you can order wine by the bottle. Early morning activity on the ocean is a gentle wake-up call and the waves crashing at night is a great soundtrack to lull you to sleep. Park the car and walk. A great restaurant next door is good for breakfast or dinner and, like Pinard, it’s right on the Ocean with the same great view of the Mountain. Head in the opposite direction and there’s fantastic bars for sundowners and a little further along a small shopping complex with clothes shops, supermarket, beautician and more great restaurants. Get your “surf” on and give it a try if you dare go into the ridiculously chilly waters. Stanley and his team were helpful, but discreet. Pinard is a place to stay to enjoy the views and make use of your own leisurely time as you see fit. Pinard does not provide room-service or have any in-house restaurant or catering facilities, so if its hotel-like add-ons you’re after Pinard is probably not for you. But, if you want one of the best views in Cape Town in a spacious, comfortable and friendly environment, with everything you do need within walking distance, Pinard Is The Place!

Room Tip: The top floor room is the pick if its not booked
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Instant Ricoffy sachets as coffee was a let down. I expected something more and better.There was a perculator but no coffee. The view on the sea was an absolute winner. I experienced a lack of privacy on the floor that I occupied as other guests just wandered around to my balcony. I would definitely recommend a stsy of one or 2 nights.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank SoniaD21
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We have had the priviledge of staying at Pinard on Sea for the past 3 years and have just returned from our 4th visit there! The situation and views are second to none, Stan and Kennedy offer excellent service. I have read the review from Jen in Joburg and cannot agree with her comments at all!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeannieh22
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The location for Pinard on Sea is fantastic. The manager, Stan and his assistant manager Kennedy do a great job of making this marvelous place a welcome home on the beach for the few lucky guests who get to stay at Pinard on Sea.

Lizzy in Blouberg

Room Tip: The 3 front bedrooms have the most incredible view and location. The two family apartments make a g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lizzy B
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Firstly - Let me state that I took the time to photograph all the problems I encountered with this "luxurious" establishment. I enclosed with these photographs - an 8 page document stating all the problems. This done - over 2 weeks ago. I have not had the common courtesy of a reply and feel that I do need to write an honest review if no-one else is going to do it.

No getting away from it - the view is priceless. The view however, does not make it luxurious, romantic, clean, modern or desirable. The view does not justify the rates.

We took 10 days of our annual leave to spend in Cape Town and how dissapointed we were.

1. BATHROOMS - old, dirty, dated, no cold water. Most disgusting blue plastic shower curtain with cable ties and shells. Black alge CANNOT and should not be covered with silicone. This does not work. The filthy dirty cup placed at eye level with a rancid smell has no place in this building. White slippery wall tiles in the shower - pre 1980 ! Mismatched white - old - tired towels and no soap make it most uncomfortable. White towels need extra attention and your staff have not been trained to do this correctly. While 1 ply toilet paper is good for the environment - there are surely higher quality 1 ply rolls available ? Paper that does not crumble in your hands once exposed to moisture ? Most uncomfortable - especially for women - sitting with a hand full of paper balls !!!! Infuriating !!!!

2. BEDROOMS - beds are old, worn, squeaky and linen is mismatched, pillows are not covered with pillow protectors - hence the smell of body odour keeping you awake all night. Blanket in the cupboard, needs a good washing to get rid of all hair [pubic and otherwise] from this blanket. Fitted sheets do not fit correctly. Most unluxurious and such a cheap way to make a dreary room bright again. Squeaking beds are so easy to fix and so unromantic trying to dodge the sqeaks.

3. NOISE FROM NEXT DOOR servants. In luxurious settings - servants should be seen and NOT HEARD. The staff next door start work at 7am and scream and holler between floors whilst dragging dustbins in and out. This taking place 4 foot away from your window as there is no air conditioning in 44 degree temperatures. Having asked them once to try and be quiet - for the next 9 days - almost as if on cue - they would start their performance - just for us. They tell me that it rusts and that is the reason for no air conditioning. Other hotels and B&B's charging less than you do seem to manage ?

4. KITCHEN - if you have to have cockroach bait traps - how about hiding them so that it is not that obvious that there are millions of cockroaches and other creepy crawlies in the kitchen ? The cutlery drawers are oily and dirty and had to ask the staff to wash the cutlery. The owner seems to think that self catering implies all the trash from his own kitchen that he no longer needs. Personal items and trash belong on the rubbish dump. Not in your LUXURIOUS and ROMANTIC hideaway !

GENERAL

Cleanliness - appalling ! You cannot walk barefoot as your feet get that oily, black, gritty feel. 1980's floor tiles need clean water and some bleach. Windows need to be cleaned when guests are not there. Privacy is an issue with staff cleaning the windows while you are trying to shower.

DSTV / CABLE - non existent. CNN and 4 local channels does not constitute Cable television. Locals enquire about cable as they might be following a series or sport or whatever turns them on !! Do not lie and say that you have DSTV while tryint to take a booking. Your room upstairs has full on DSTV - why would the guest suites not be able to get Cable because of the wind ? Do I look that stupid ?

WI-FI - the entire neighbourhood must have the password as I could not receive or send emails. Upgrade - your rates allow this small expense. Not good enough for leisure guests let alone business guests.

The NOISE coming from the owners unit will keep you awake all night if you are unfortunate enough to get the room below his. I mentioned this FACT and was told that the people were moving out that day. Scraping chairs and moving furniture above paying guests should be high on your list of priorites. Then to lie to a guest ? I take umbrage to being lied to and to you thinking that I am that stupid to believe you !!

Self catering is exactly that - CATERING. That does not mean take away the DSTV or the
WI-FI - or the dish washing liquid or the soap in the bathrooms. Left over soap and earbuds from your travels just dont do it for me after enquiring where the hand soap was. You are on holiday and now you have to go out and buy dishwasher, dustbin bags, soap and insect spray !! Really ?? Equip your self catering units correctly - make sure that they are absolutely spotless and then charge the correct rates. wHILE you are at it - decide what your decor theme is going to be - flea market purchases because it is cheap does not make it luxurious. You have 40 different themes going on and none of them work.

Overall - ?? We were sick for 6 days - probably due to the first night that we ate in the unit - the noise generally was disturbing and not private at all. Would never go back and tell 10 local people a day not to either.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen_in_Joburg
sfinley51, Manager at Pinard on Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

To Whom It May Concern:

Let me address Jen In Joberg's comments point by point. First let me relay the experience of my assistant manager upon Jen In Joberg's arrival. Before unpacking or even looking about Jen In Joberg coerced my assistant into emptying all the cupboards, washing them and washing all the dishes. We had just had all the cupboards in the kitchens washed prior to her arrival so we knew they were clean. Our business is all about cleanliness and we do work hard to make sure things are clean!

Yes, our location is unsurpassed being located directly on the beach facing Table Mountain across the bay. With this location comes unusual weather and maintenance conditions that people who do not live at the sea cannot even begin to understand or even imagine. Come live with us at the beach for a year and you will love it, but you will understand this is not for the faint of heart. The wind, the salt, the sand and the sun all combine to try and return the houses here to their natural elements. We know this and constantly maintain and clean on a non-stop day by day basis.

1. I have responded to her letter via email several weeks ago. My legal advisors asked me to keep it short , simple polite as they are as disturbed by the tone of her review as I am.

2. The bathrooms are clean and were clean when Jen In Joberg arrived. Yes, there is a spot of algae. We are regrouting. The blue plastic shower curtain is now gone. We realized after Jen In Joberg's comments that no covering on the shower is necessary at all hence the problem is solved. The glass, it was not a cup, was not dirty nor rancid or smelly. We can even begin to guess what brought this comment from Jen In Joberg. Jen In Joberg does not like the tiles? Okay. There is always soap in all our bathing areas. Jen In Joberg and her husband wanted bar soap, which we got for them and gave to them. We supply liquid soap, a greener and more economical choice for us. The towels are white. We soak them in Steri Nappi or Vanish. Yes, we do this. The towels do need replacing and we have been aware of this, however they are still serviceable and in good order. I use the same toilet paper myself and have not had Jen In Joberg's experience with it disintegrating. Our conservation clients get upset when we use the luxury two ply paper as it is not good for the environment and apparently causes problems in the water sewerage treatment plants because it does not break down.

2. The bedrooms. No, the beds are not brand new. They are not worn out either, nor are they dirty. We still cannot get the beds to squeak so are unable to answer to the squeak problem. We do have pillow protectors and they should have been in place. This seems to be an error on our part and we apologize. Perhaps my nose is simply not as sensitive as Jen In Joberg's. I don't smell body odour on the pillows, simply clean fresh linen. We are unable to locate publc hairs on the blankets so we don't know where that is coming from. The sheets are the sheets we get from White House and other linen suppliers to our industry. They are quality all cotton 280 to 400 count linens.

3. Noise from the next door servants. The very kind people who live next to us do have staff. They are not always dead silent. This is not Apartheid South Africa. We will do what we can, but the property next door does not belong to us, the servants next door do not work for us and they do have rights in 2013 South Africa! The temperatures were not 44 degrees. In the ten years I have lived on the property this has never happened. I am sure there is a historical record of this at some date, but not in 2013. We do not need air-conditioning. We live right on the beach next the frigid South Atlantic Ocean. Some of our more portly guests have requested an air-conditioner as they seem to require temperatures below 20 degrees. While we wish we could supply this requirement, which would get us a five star rating by the way, we cannot justify the ongoing repair expense for approximately 5 to 15 days a year use. The house 3 houses away from us, owned by the Fiat Family, just removed their air-conditioning as they found out what we knew. The ocean here will destroy it a hurry and it is simply not necessary at the beach in Bloubergstrand. The ocean, combined with the wind does the job of keeping things cool here.

4. The Kitchen. The cockroach bait trap, which is hidden, Jen In Joberg searched it out and found it, is a preventative measure. We don't have and never have had cockroaches in the house. The picture Jen In Joberg sent me was of a wood beetle that probably came in with the firewood. The drawers were not oily when Jen In Joberg was here and they are not oily now.

General:

As I noted at the beginning we work our hind ends off keeping things clean here. You can always walk on our floors without getting black feet. We, however, are not about to start trying to control the wind (yes it blows stuff in namely salt and sand) nor where our guests place their, often bare feet, before returning to Pinard. We simply mop it up as always. The privacy concerning the windows and guests showering is a comment which I to this day cannot imagine how the comment was inspired. There are no windows we would be cleaning in the bathroom areas while anyone would be showering. This is a very confusing comment!

DSTV/CABLE- We have it. We had it while Jen In Joberg was in residence. We carry a pretty standard hotel/guesthouse package. We get to travel and stay in many nice places around the world and cannot find anyplace that will give you all the channels in world. Let me reiterate, we have a standard package. Many of our guests bring their own DSTV decoder if they want to watch all the channels they enjoy at home. We do the same when we travel. This is standard in South Africa. We don't know why this comment was even brought up! Yes, when the wind blows here sometimes we actually cannot get reception. Again, we cannot control the weather. Jen In Joberg did not bother to relay that I went up on the roof trying to ascertain, just for her, what the problem might be. We have subsequently found out that our dish blew out of alignment and it has since been readjusted, however DSTV just took our whole system down a couple of days ago for upgrading. Our guests had to wait several hours before the signal was returned to our system. Again, this was something that is simply beyond our control. Please, don't try to make me responsible for things I am powerless to change. Multichoice is an entity all to itself, much like the Department of Home Affairs. Can anyone change that?

WiFi. The entire neighborhood does not have our password. I can and do check to see who might be using the WiFI. I have discovered that our ISP, Snowball Effect, was hit by several burglaries at the time Jen In Joberg stayed with us. This resulted in a loss of capacity. I was not aware of these happenings at the time. If anyone wants to check with Snowball Effect, they are easy to find on the internet and their updates will verify what I have just said.

The NOISE. Guests were in residence in the owner's quarters for the month of December and the first part of January. The only noise I am aware was the packing going on the night before the guest's departure. Jen In Joberg did relay to me the next day there was noise above her. By then the guests were gone leading me to believe the problem was gone. I actually cannot imagine why she thought I was lying. I simply do not get where many of these comments are coming from. I do know Jen In Joberg was very ill for most her stay with us. I am very sorry for that and hope she is better now. I can only imagine that her illness is in part responsible for this review.

Self-Catering: Definitions seem to very from person to person. My personal experience with Self-Catering is that you are solely responsible for catering to all of your own needs: from supplying your own bathing amenities to cooking and cleaning for yourself. The official definition in the Cambridge Dictionary is: (of a holiday) having a kitchen so that you can cook meals for yourself rather than having them provided for you. This, quite honestly, (no I am not lying here either) is what we do. We come in and tidy up for our guests daily. We help with the dishes, we sweep and mop the floors. We make the beds, change the towels, and tidy the bathrooms in our self-catering units. We change the sheets as needed for the guests. We did all this for Jen In Joberg. We have dishwashing soap, there was soap in the bathrooms, dustbin bags should have been in the dustbin and we do not supply insect spray as we don't live in the tropics and there is no need for this. Our self-catering units are always absolutely spotless. The Seaview Beach Apartment was spotless when Jen In Joberg arrived and it is spotless right now.

Jen In Joberg does not like our rather eclectic decor. That is fine, but this really is simply her personal taste and should not be an observation in this review. From Jen In Joberg's previous voiced and written comments to me I have discerned that she does not know about classical decor and she does not understand that we are in the wine industry with an award winning garagista cellar in Malmesbury. Much of the decor in the particular Self-Catering Beach Apartment, Seaview, where Jen In Joberg stayed reflects this. Most of guests seem truly interested as this is wine country down here in the Western Cape and the theme is appropriate for where, who and what we are.

We do not accept the paring comment that we were responsible for Jen In Joberg's illness. We do not prepare or serve food to our guests especially not in the spotlessly clean Self-Catering Beach Apartments.

I hope this will serve to refute much of the rather egregious comments Jen In Joberg has made about us. I found most of her comments and observations inaccurate and personally insulting to myself as well as to our staff and our establishment. We truly do not know why this review is so vindictive.

P.S. The documented dates of Jen In Joberg's stay with us are: arrival 8 January to departure 18 January 2013 where she requested and we, at no charge, acquiesced to her very late departure that day.

Regards,
Stan Finley
Manager
Pinard on Sea, Luxury Neighborhood Boutique Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloubergstrand
Bliss Boutique Hotel
Dolphin Beach Hotel
Dolphin Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Table View
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#62 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Pinard on Sea? Share your experiences!