“Amazing Gorilla Trek” 5 of 5 bubbles

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Amazing Gorilla Trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I didn't want to miss the Mountain Gorillas when in Uganda this summer. It is a long 9 - 10 hour drive from Entebbe to Bwindi, and much of the road is under construction. when construction is done, it will be a comfortable and shorter trip. My plane landed at 11:30am, and I was at my lodge by 10:00pm.

My lodge, Broadbill Forest Camp, was only 10 minutes from the entrance I used for the trek. My guide, Shaun Sendyowa, selected the gorilla entrance I would use, and made a good choice of locating the Camp near that entrance, as he knew we would be late in arriving. Other visitors had driven one hour from their lodge, before arriving at the entrance early that morning.

Each entrance has different characteristics: flat, steep, bogs, or dryer. If you have concerns about your physical ability to manage on steep hillsides covered in vines, then be sure to tell whoever is making the arrangements. You want them to select an area you can manage.

I went in at the Ruhija sector. I don't have a personal comparison to the other entrances, but from photos I had seen online, it seems this entrance is steeper and potentially more difficult then some. I loved it, and had no problems with the terrain. Each of us paid a "holder" $15US to carry our small backpack with our lunch and other personal items. The holder also offered a helping hand as needed, but was not overly solicitous. Two visitors in my group had trouble with footing, and they benefited from all the holders helping them.

I was traveling solo, and placed with five English speaking visitors about my age. The guides, holders, visitors were respectful of the environment, the gorillas. The permit seems expensive, but it isn't when you understand how much it does to protect this area of the world. It truly is a life experience worth the effort it takes to dive deep into it.

3 Thank Sharon59801

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Once in à lifetime experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! We walked through the beautiful forest for 2.5 hours before reaching these wonderful creatures. It was an absolutely amazing experience that is difficult to describe in words. This endangered animal is just à breath taking encounter. The trekkers and the guides are so good and will ensure that the dream comes true.

Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“What an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

What a magnificent experience . After a fantastic briefing at headquarters . Our guide O Max started us off on a gentle slop , then we entered the forest he was vert mindful of our fitness levels often stopping to point things out and let us rest . After about1 hr we came across the silver back of M group sitting next to the path with his female companions . They where very happy for our group of 8 visitors to be there in there habitation and take as many photos as we wished . He was relaxed even showing off at some stages . Then when he was to hot in the sun walked right passed to a shady position where he has happy for us to keep taking photos of his group .We where very lucky and feel privileged to have spent time with these magnificent creatures in there own habitat in stead of looking at them through the bars at the zoo . They did not appear frustrated as some of the animals in the zoos look .
I would highly recommend this activity to any traveller as it was explained to us that 20% of our fees go back to the community so they can have a better life . Education on gorilla conservation is obviously working as the village appear very happy to have us here as they know our money is going to help them .

2 Thank Sue G
Nottingham, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Seven and half hours trekking up and down hills, in an untouched forest on the middle of Africa, sharing the experience with strangers from around the world is a remarkable trek. Add to this, you are following a family of mountain gorillas, particularly the silverback and especially the very good, then you realise what that you are privileged to have this opportunity of a lifetime.

Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Great Place To Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Recently, I made the trip to beautiful Bwindi to see the gorillas.To see the gorillas was just amazing.
While in Bwindi I stumbled across the Community Centre of a group called Ride4awoman. The group sews a whole range of goods to sell to tourists. All the money they make goes back into the community. The clothing they sold was the best quality I saw in Uganda. I bought a magnificent kimono made from 2 African fabrics. It's worth a visit just to see these women working and to purchase a few things knowing that all the money is going back into the local community.

Visited June 2014