“Peaceful on the lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Byoona Amagara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kabale
Byoona Amagara
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Peaceful on the lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was only to spend one night here as I passing through town...stumbled upon it after talking with some peace corp volunteers in Kabale. It's worth the slow canoe ride...very peaceful. Food is better than average. The dorm rooms are clean and simple. Very safe. Great gathering spot for young independent travellers. Would love to come back for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We paddled for 50 minutes in a dug out canoe to get to the resort, which in itself shows you just how quiet and peaceful this place is. It's in the perfect spot, so idyllic and amazing views of lake bunyoni and the sunset from the restaurant. There is a swimming platform that's really private and a great place to chill. The restaurant area and dorm are really nice, although we got a little chilly in the evening so I'd advise taking some warmer clothes. Although we chose the cheap option of the dorm there are lovely private geodomes as well. Also love the sustainable tourism approach of the resort, using eco-friendly latrines and showers! Would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lake bunyoni is one special place, the setting was amazing and Byoona Amagara was the perfect place to stay. Me and my two friends stayed in the dorm which was great value for money. We especially liked the eco emphasis, ensuring that the tourism had less impact on the environment. The meals, despite the long wait were very tasty and again good value for money.
On arrival to Byoona Amagara we had the choice of either the speed boat or ''canoe'', as the canoe was free we decided to take this option. I would definitely recommend this option, despite 50 minutes of rowing in a dug out tree trunk the experience was great and something i'll probably never do again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was there with a friend and had a wonderful 3 nights there. We were meant to stay for only two nights but it was just so relaxing we didn't feel like leaving. It is a quiet place with great food in big portions. We stayed in the dorms which were alright. I was so happy you could buy hot showers because it gets chilly and I don't think I would have survived a cold outdoors shower in this wind! We did the hiking tour which was alright but we could have also done it on our own (which a couple of people did the next day after we recommended that). One of the staff, Nicholas, is a really nice guy who was extremely friendly and helped us out with a number of different things.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Okehampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here twice, once with friends and the second time with my partner. I thoroughly enjoyed both trips. The setting is beautiful and so peaceful with great opportunities for walking, swimming and canoeing (with a dug-out canoe- hard work but a lot of fun!).

I'd recommend staying in a geo-dome - they're great value, you'd never get a bedroom view for that price in Europe that's for sure!

Food is good but not as great as I'd expected having read previous reviews; again great value considering you're on an island and everything has to be brought in.

I was really impressed with the Eco-friendly efforts of the owners- love the outdoor showers! Would definitely stay here in again if lucky enough to be in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Byoona Amagara is an island oasis. After spending some time in Kampala, surrounded by a cloud of boda bodas, dust, and children shouting "Mzungu!" (who are adorable, of course, but sometimes that gets tiring), it was wonderful to arrive at Lake Bunyonyi and have a few days of peace and quiet.

The canteen is perched atop a nice hill with a beautiful view of the lake and some surrounding islands. I spent a lot of time relaxing, reading, and of course eating there. The food was quite tasty, and very reasonably priced (4000-13000 UGX for a meal).

There are lots of things to do, as well. You can hire a canoe and go for a paddle, hire a boat driver to take you on a tour of the lake (Punishment Island was interesting), go for a walk around the island, visit a Pygmy village, watch a movie in the cinema, go to one of the local craft markets, or have a swim. And it's a great starting point for gorilla trekking (Byoona Amagara runs their own at very reasonable rates).

And on top of all of this, what made my time at Byoona Amagara special was that the staff were very friendly and attentive. They worked very hard to make sure that everyone was enjoying themselves, even fulfilling a few special requests. I loved it there so much that I extended my stay there for an extra day!

I'd recommend booking one of the geodomes, as they're very cozy and have fabulous views. But for anyone on a tight budget, the dorms are a great deal.

Some reviewers had mentioned problems with theft, but every room I saw had cabinets that you can lock with a padlock, so I had no problems while I was there. Perhaps these are new, or perhaps the other reviewers just left their valuable lying about, but I don't see why anyone should have any problems now.

Anyway, I can't wait to go back again!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mike G
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in the dorm with a friend. Dorm isn't really cheap, but not very expensive either, anyway the only thing you do in here is sleep.

The staf is very nice, not to submissive as we found in other places. The island is amazing to walk around and to chill out on any coach you will find in all there secret small paths leading there. The lake is beautiful to canoe and really cheap to arrange.
Have to add one more thing, the food was just so good! Take the advocado filles with crayfish or the salteed tilapia is extremely tastefull and its cheap!!

This place completely relient on solarpower, so for charging phone, hot water and watching movies will be charged (warm water charge only in dorm), but really isnt much (like ush 500,- for phone).

Definitely a pearl on the lake!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple