“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kabale
Bermuda Run, NC
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in July. Power boat ride to lodge was fun. Their staff is exceptional and very friendly. The views of the lake are unforgettable. It was very quiet and relaxing. We paddled around in dugout canoe and even tried a rope swing into the lake. I was wary of the a la carte dining, but the food was great and very reasonably priced.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Overland resort in an amazing place to stay, the tents are especially great. The paths to all the tents, the lakeside location, thriving with people make the place even more sophisticated and lovely.

However, the service at the restaurant could be better, the only option they had for us was a basic buffet or wait two or more hours to get served or wait an hour to get a snack. Being a thriving place, I believe they can anticipate that they will have many customers and prepare accordingly!

Nevertheless, I loved the service at the reception and views over lake Bunyonyi are just spectacular.

Room Tip: The tents are personal and amazing, especially the ones nearest to the lake
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter L
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had emailed the hotel staff (with the email address located on the website) to make reservations bc the reservations form online was not working. I got a reply within 24 hours saying that our reservations were set. When we arrived I was told that all of the double self-contained rooms were taken, which is what I had reserved. I then told the staff that I had reservations and asked him to see if one of those were reserved for us. He said no and that I needed to pre-pay, which I couldn't do online or through the email I sent him (nor did he once mention that it was necessary). I explained to him that I had an email confirming my reservations and that it was just done 2 days before our arrival and he said I should have kept checking to see if it was still reserved. He showed me a double room (no bathroom) that was still available and it was very small and not very clean. My husband and I ended up staying at Crater Bay Cottages and it more than made up for our disappointment at the Overland Resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelsey P

Travellers are raving about these Kabale hotels

Zurich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Unfriendly staff, worst ever food, poor service,old and dirty. After complaints about the wrong food delivered, staff did not apologize, no, they even defended the kitchen staff saying that its me who is wrong. The location is ok but there are half a dozen other resorts around the lake with the same location. Stay away from there! If your tour operator books you there, insist of changing the booking!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in the fixed tents, and walked to the bathrooms. The showers were hot, but mostly a drip, not a stream. The wifi works near the office. The food looked good, although we ate from our own overland truck. The grounds are nice, with many birds. Its a 5 minute walk to the little village and easy walk to the top of the hill for a view.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HnLA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My sister and I stayed at Lake Bunyonyi Overland Resort for 4 nights and stayed in one of the cabins. Basic rooms but really all you need. Most importantly we felt very safe here and the conditions were clean which was all we cared about. The crayfish at the restaurant was delicious, but be sure to go before you are starving as the food takes a while, if you order some cold Nile or Tusker while you wait you will be just fine. Our waiter for every meal was Wallin (don't know if that is how you spell his name) and he was great! Always very attentive and by day two he knew which drinks we wanted the second we walked in, it was this service that makes us want to make Bunyonyi Overland our home again on the next trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Wonderfull location with great views on the lake. We have stayed in a room, bathroom okay, room simple. Furnished tents look fine as well, but do not have own washroom. Be prepared for a fresh morning (1800 meters!).
Activities like canoe and swimming possible. Walking oppertunities limited. Possibility to visit a local school.

Breakfast okay, but not wel organized, rather slow. Dinner with good views on the lake. Some staff welcoming, some staff ignorant. Wifi near the reception available.

Heartbreaking that on the way to the resort you see many families chipping stones in terrible conditions.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kabale
Gorilla Safari Lodge
Bushara Island Camp
Bushara Island Camp
#6 of 29 in Kabale
Lake Bunyonyi Rock Resort

Been to Bunyonyi Overland Resort? Share your experiences!