The Hotel itself is very well positioned on the beach and is beautifully decorated. We had a family room which was very luxurious and spacious and easily fit us, our twins and all their belongings! The staff were lovely and VERY helpful - nothing was too much trouble and they should be credited for really being very happy in their jobs and going above and beyond.
My two complaints are:
The Indoor Pool and the Food.
Indoor Pool - as we were going in the winter we knew it would be too cold to use the outdoor pool, particularly with 5 month old babies. We had booked, therefore, a hotel with an indoor pool so that on days when the weather was not so hot we had the option still to swim and have some fun. None of the pictures of the hotel showed the pool with dim lighting or looking as though it was part of a spa centre, and yet it was. There was also nothing that said you would have to pay for the pool although some blurb did say local charges would apply but this was listed next to baby sitting, wellness centre, tennis courts etc. Never for a minute did I think we would have to pay to use the pool otherwise we would not have booked this hotel. The pool as you will now have gathered is part of the wellness centre - which is indeed very sumptious with pool, sauna, relaxation room etc and well worth the 7.50 Euros per day per person.
However, with two babies, who can spend approximately half an hour in the pool at most, paying 15 Euros for 30 minutes was a very bitter pill to swallow and meant we could only afford to use it once. I feel that the hotel could have been far more accomodating given that we weren't using any of the other facilities and indeed were only in there for 30 minutes! Also it should be far more clearly apparent that charges apply in relation to the pool - we would not have booked!
Finally, the food was abysmal. There is absolutely no excuse for a four star hotel to only serve one cooked vegetable each night and for that to be either frozen or tinned. I was horrified. There are only two meal choices each night, one meat and one fish with the fish being overcooked and disgusting. The first night the restaurant smelled like a school dining hall it was so poor. The veal was lovely but there are only so many nights you can eat the same meat in a different sauce with one frozen vegetable selection. Breakfast was great, drinks were expensive and the Al a Carte so not worth the money at all.
Also, people QUEUED to be seated at 7!!!! If you weren't in the queue then you didn't get seated until someone left. All well and good when you're free and not paying for a babysitter!!! To waste money waiting was disappointing and never have I had to wait before! They should either have enough seats or operate a reservation system!
Finally, Altura is totally closed in the winter so there are no restuarants or anywhere to go for a meal outside the hotel so be warned!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eurotel Altura is located on the lovely Altura beach, in the East Algarve. All rooms have a private balcony and boost spectacular views of the sea. Buffet breakfast is included and there is free parking in the hotel.The hotel has an outdoor pool, garden area, tennis court, mini-golf, restaurant, snack bar and bar. The recently built Wellness Center has a hydrotherapy area with Turkish bath, Caribbean Shower and relaxation area. It also has massage and treatment rooms as well as a fully equipped gymnasium.Eurotel Altura also has available a special area for the younger guests, offering a Kids Club with full entertainment programme all year round.The hotel is located only 10 minutes from 6 golf courses and Faro International Airport is only 40 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eurotel Altura reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eurotel Altura Hotel Altura
- Eurotel Altura Hotel Beach
- Eurotel Altura Portugal - Algarve