“Not 4 Star”

Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
wales
“Not 4 Star”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Arrived 11th March checking good, room size excellent, free safe, fridge had water beer and soft drinks. Good choice of food but poor quality and a lot of the dishes cold at all meal times heard number of people making complaints to the chef but nothing changed. By the 13th March I was struck down with vomiting etc did not recover all week so the all inclusive was a waste of money, I reported the matter to the rep and explained my concerns over the food he said that there is a virus going around I found that his attitude to be unhelpful. The following day I asked him what was the hotels response? To the complaint he said that he had reported it and if they have comments he would let me know I heard nothing. After speaking to numerous guest's who were also struck down with this bug, the hotel should have put notices up advising guests of the problem there were a number of young babies and children staying at this hotel, I think that there should have been antibacterial spray at the dining room door. We saw a person leaving dining room and was sick outside it was a good while for the cleaners turning up no smell of any disinfectant another guest threw up at the pool bar over the table there is a serious problem at this hotel which they ignored I would not recommend any one going there. I found that our room had not been cleaned to a good standard.
One of the pools did not have the bar open all the time, entertainment poor. Spa voucher was a nice gesture but due to being unwell only went the once.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel over the half term period. When we arrived, the reception area was very busy and it took us 30 minutes to get checked in. I had asked for two rooms overlooking the main pool and I was pleasently surprised to be given those. As from previous comments, I would agree somewhat with the comments about the food, but overall the food was of a good standard and it was replenished often. There was plenty for the children to do during the day, although when we decided to do the crazy putting, there was only 2 putters left even though there was only 6 others playing. Another person commented on the quality of the drinks. I had no problems and actually thought the local beer was very good. The wine took a little getting used to. At the end of the day this is a all inclusive hotel in Tenerife and you cannot expect the same quality of the equivalent hotel in the UK. I would certainly go back to this hotel

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
yorkshire
Reviewed 19 March 2011

A very modern, massive hotel with plenty to do. We all loved it. Not much to do outside hotel except the beach but we stayed in hotel mostly.

Decent enough food and friendly enough staff too.

Weather let the holiday down but no-one to blame for that!!!!!

Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan
Reviewed 19 March 2011

This is not a four star hotel.

The food ranges from poor to inedible. The rooms are basic (bring your own kettle, for example) and the alcohol is super-value cheaper alternatives. We ate out ... a lot. We give it two stars for the location, which is good. Oh yes, and the gym equipment was disappointing too.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We have just returned from a week at Luabay Costa Los Gigantes and had a lovely time, the staff there were really friendly and welcoming and always spoke to you around the complex. I read all the Trip Advisor reviews before booking and thankyou to member ‘Jamierob’from Kent who suggested good apartments to request when booking. We decided to request Blocks K, L and M and we got put into M, it was within easy reach of the main building but if you want to be really close ask for Block K specifically .One of my photos shows the plan of the Complex as it is hard to imagine how vast it is.
At this time of year I would pack a mini brolley as for the last two days it really came in handy. We had four nice days, if quite breezy [around 20/21 degrees] and one all day wet and cool with hail and one showery day that we travelled around on the local busses to nearby towns and enjoyed it in spite of the weather. We booked the courtesy bus to go to Los Christianos another day and made our own way back catching a bus in Playa De La Americas. Taxis from Los Gigantes up to the Hotel were only 3.05 Euros as it is quite a hike uphill.
After the welcome meeting we thought we would see if we could get the Teide Trip cheaper in the town but it was only a few Euros cheaper. When we went back later in the day ‘First Choice/Thomsons’ was full for the trip but Thomas Cook got us on their bus. Whilst we enjoyed the tour we would have liked it to have included Oratava [Balconies Town] that the ‘First Choice’ Trip did for the same cost [39 Euros each ] Be warned though it's a 7.00 am start which we were not told about until after paying] The hotel provided a really big packed lunch for us all even though I didn't order it until 9.00pm the night before when the deadline is 8.00pm.
The Spa at the hotel was amazing; we were given free spa circuit vouchers for 2 hours which had to be used within the first three days. My husband is not keen on the water so I went twice, it normally costs 22 Euros for the circuit and after using the vouchers a Two for One voucher was left in our room, but we never got around to using it. I really loved it and felt it would have been worth it even at the full price and great as a freebie. Another freebie I liked was the safe in the suite, usually they charge for it, and no deposits required for pool towels either, they do go quickly though.
The suites themselves were really roomy with a large balcony and I don’t really see how they could be bettered, other than to have Tea/Coffee making facilities. [ I packed a small travel kettle and Tea/Coffee.] We looked out on to La Gomera, it’s a pity there was a big crane in front of the view but I snapped it from elsewhere in the complex.
There were quite a few children at the hotel which was unexpected being term time, many were quite young and most of the older ones from abroad. I don’t think they must have the same strict rules about taking kids out of school that we have in England. Having said that they really were no problem as the place is so big and there are several pools so you can be quiet if you want to.
Entertainment was fair, I had read in the reviews about a Beatles, Queen and Eagles Tributes but I think these must be over a two week holiday. There was a Queen Tribute that we had already seen in Los Christianos last year and the Eagles Tribute was to be the evening of the day we flew back.We tried to get a seat for the Saturday Night Fever show put on by the hotel staff team but it was full. The night we went to see the Queen Tribute we got almost the last seats at 8.45pm. The only problem if you want to see the main shows that start at 9.30pm is all the parents with children are already in there for the junior entertainment [which looked really good if you do have kids]. It is not a huge Concert room for the size of the complex, so if you want to see a particular show and get a good seat, go really early for dinner and straight into the Concert room. You will have to sit through all the kids stuff though!! Fortunately there was other music going on in the bar, Singing, Keyboard playing and Saxaphone, middle of the road entertainment which was pleasant enough to listen to and watch people dancing.
We had a couple of games on the crazy golf which was good fun with no charge[you have to leave 20 Euros deposit on clubs and balls] It was really challenging as crazy golfs go and we thought it would have been difficult for our small grandchildren.
We really enjoyed the food but our extended family with us thought although it was good it wasn’t spicy enough .It seemed very similar to the food in the Paradise Park, Los Christianos so maybe that is ‘Canarian’ style food. Personally I would have liked the Hotel to have far more labels on the dishes than they had because I am Wheat/ Gluten Free and it was difficult to know exactly what a lot of the dishes were and what they contained. However we put on weight during the week as it is so easy to eat too much with all the lovely food. We didn’t try the ‘A La Carte’ restaurant as the menus looked a bit restrictive for my Wheat/Gluten Free Diet.
One reviewer mentioned that the Hotel didn’t do Bailey’s or Malibu, but whilst it wasn’t real Bailey’s they did a perfectly acceptable ‘Irish Cream’ included in the Fully Inclusive. My husband wasn’t too keen on the Red or Rose Wine but thought the White was ok.
We would have no hesitation in going back to this Hotel Complex and we thought it was really good value for money. I must admit despite the weather none of us wanted to come home.

2 Thank worzelle
burton on trent
Reviewed 18 March 2011

we have visited this hotel 7 times now in two years and our parents have also returned her 6 times over the same sort of period and theyre fussy.
the hotel is fantastic and offers everything for families and couples and even single travellers.
im sure if your the kind of traveller that looks for a fault you may find one but honestly we cant and that is why we keep returning.
hotel staff are so accomodating and if you do have any problems it will be rectified straight away as nothing seems to be to much trouble.
entertainment team led by ivan are superb and keep you entertained day and night.
another member of this team is kais and he seems to have a 24hr smile for everyone.
rooms are fantastic and clean and the daily stocked fridge with beer and drinks is a great little perk.
food is superb with plenty to choose from breakfast ,lunch and dinner.
this is an all inclusive that really is all inclusive>>food, drinks ,ice creams whenever you want them from the different areas within the hotel.
i personally have never had to queue for a drink in all the visits i have had as the service is excellent and there are also self serv drinks areas too.
i highly reccomend this fab hotel and all it has to offer.
book..book..book

Belfast
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I always trip advisor any hotel before I book anything so I booked this hotel based on it's great reviews, and can say that I was more than happy with the hotel. When we arrived there was no queue, we got checked in and concierge took our bags to our room. The room was lovely, plenty of room and a huge balcony. Only downfall was that there were only 4 English tv channels and 3 of these had a terrible signal so were unwatchable, but I don't go on holiday to watch tv so didn't mind that much. We went straight to the pool bar for snacks, it was mostly burgers chips salad pizza hotdogs which hit the spot after the plane journey. There was plenty of food and lots drink. The pool area was very clean, the kids pool was warmer than the adults one. When we arrived it was the end of half term so it was very noisey with hyperactive kids, and at 3pm in the afternoon all the sun beds we're in use so we just sat on our balcony for the first day. My partner and I just wanted a quiet week away as we both work very long hours in very stressful jobs. This hotel was just what we needed. The hotel itself is in the middle of a very quiet area so there's basically nothing to do here except sunbathe and eat. The food was fantastic, more than enough variety which changed every day, we ate SO much during this holiday. The evening entertainment was ok although my boyfriend and I are in our late twenties with no children and found that the entertainment was basically for the under 10's or the over 60's. There was nothing for us to do, and nowhere close to the area to go for a drink a boogie, so we were in bed every night before midnight. With regards to the drink, we stayed mostly to the red wine as the cocktails and spirits just tasted like flavoured syrups, not very alcohollic. They did offer premium brands with a surcharge but that defeated the purpose of all inclusive for us so the wines were fine. Overall i found the staff very helpful, especially as they are all so busy, it was a very well run and organised hotel. One disappointment was that for the first 3 days lunches were served in a beautiful panoramic area beside the pool, but then moved to the main hotel for the remaining 5 days of our stay. This meant that we were eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in the same room every day which got a bit boring. The themed restaurant nights were a nice change though. We went to Siam park which was fun, it was quiet when we went but the mai Thai river was closed for maintenance and they didn't offer any discount on ticket price for this which they should have. On our last night we went to an amazing restaurant outside the hotel which I had tripadvisored whilst in the area, it is called la pergola I think or something similar, not cheap but definitely worth the money for the qulality of food and service. Just remembered one thing which did get very annoying- there r never any towels available round the pool. Every morning we went to the lifeguard to ask for the towels which they tell you to put on the sun plungers for sunbathing however there were NEVER any available throughout our entire stay. We asked several times every day to the point were it was like our running joke. I would go back to this hotel but will probably wait until I have children, they are well catered for. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a very relaxed week of eating drinking and sunbathing!

• Stayed February 2011
Ona El Marques
Ona El Marques
#1 of 3 in Santiago del Teide
Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
Be Live Experience Playa La Aren...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago

Been to Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes? Share your experiences!