“Winter Sun”

Be Live Experience Playa La Arena
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Hotel a little jaded now and could do with a complete refurbishment, in particular the bedrooms. The pool areas are beautiful and comfortable, just unfortunate that the main pool was like swimming in ice cubes! I suppose that could have been because it was November. Talking about the weather, we went for 6 days and the temperatures were well into the 30's every day but according to other holidaymakers it had rained all the previous week, so it really is pot luck in the winter months. This hotel only had a few bars and shops around the vicinity but an inexpensive taxi ride takes you to Los Gigantes where there are lots more shops. The food was quite good, but the Snack Bar option at lunchtime was exactly the same every day, and if burgers and pizza are not your thing, going into the Restaurant i is much more civilised and there is a better choice of Menu. The Staff were all helpful. If the Hotel had a makeover I would give it back their 4th Star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 187069Barbara
There are newer reviews for Be Live Experience Playa La Arena

Reviewed 8 December 2012

The hotel was superb - comfortable, spotlessly clean, spacious room with wonderful sea view, 3 swimming pools, an entertainments team day and night and the food was fantastic. The hotel is part of Spring Hotels. The Hotel located up a hill but there is a front entrance you can use with your room pass if its easier. Due to steps around the hotel it may not be suitable for those with mobility problems. We were greeted by a smiling helpful Receptionist and found most of the staff to be polite and friendly. Entertainment during the day was great but the evening entertainment was lacking for Adults but the pianist in the reception bar was very good. Drinks are not high alcohol strength - lager was Mahou, white wine fine, red a bit dry. Go for the Premium Drinks upgrade at just 6 euros per person as it is definitely worth it if you are a spirits drinker. We enjoyed the relaxation, had a lovely long walk up and down the hill to Los Gigantes. Bus stop is 10 mins max from hotel so easy to get around. Overall a fantastic value for money hotel that I would definitely re-visit.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room the view is fabulous
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Just got back from a 2 week stay at this hotel,read some of the reviews before I went so was a bit worried but feel like I had to put a review after our visit.
Went with my wife and my 2 year old daughter,first time in tenerife and would definitely go back.
First impressions of the hotel that it was spotless,cleaners do great job,rooms were spacious.
Noticed some people were complaining about the food,there were 2 restaurants,1was next to the pool where it was self service of beer on tap,4 kinds of slush puppies,tubs of ice cream,water,any other soft drinks or if you wanted anything else,they could serve at the pool bar.the kiddies pool ive got to admit was frezzzzzzing,my 2 year old didnt like it.Main pool was heated but was a wee bit better so ended up taking my wee1 there instead.There was always something to eat at the pool bar if you wanted a snack normally burgers,hotdogs,chicken nuggets,chips etc but if you wanted to,you can go to main restaurant.The main restaurant had an abundance of choice,if you can't find something to suit your tastes,must be something wrong with you,food was excellent,spoiled for choice.There was a queue at the piano bar at night but waiting was only about 5 mins a time,was 3 people serving when busy.The entertainment staff did work there socks off for everyone as well.What I will point out that if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with great food,this will suit you.What I will say though is that they have a gym and making us pay 25 euros for 1 week or 35 for 2 is a bit steep,any hotels I've been to don't charge for guests.
They do have free air conditioning and free wi-if in the reception area though.Dont get the local bus to Los cristianos or playa de las Americas cos took us about an hour and a half,so we hired a car for a day,only took about 30 mins in car.If people want to eat out,would recommend a restaurant around the corner from the hotel called incognito,it's German run a la carte restaurant,excellant service and food and price was reasonable as well.Market was good at Los cristianos on Sundays,good for souvenirs or Christmas presents,be careful though,some stuff was dearer in market than from the local shops around hotel for example,we got a flamenco dress at shop next to hotel for 3.90 euros,market wanted 10 for the exact same 1.
All in all,I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday

Room Tip: We stayed in room 649,it was a side facing room which got fabulous views of the sea and the beautifu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Stayed for 1 week end Nov into Dec. Hotel is lovely, very clean, lovely pool area with a couple of additional sun terraces to take in the stunning views. Staff were fantastic, as someone mentioned before the bar staff are somewhat over stretched as they only ever have one on at the bar, they work their socks off!!! Check in staff were very friendly, our wee chambermaid always greeted us with an "ola" and a smile. Breakfasts were superb, omlettes cooked to order and basically anything else you desire...with some fizz on a Sunday morning too..:) Lunch and dinner really didnt change much thru the week, the only thing that changed on the themed nights were the boards telling you what the theme was! But the food was ok, always found something we liked. We did eat out a couple of nights to break the monotony..(wouldnt like to stay for 2 weeks) The hotel is beginning to show signs of wear and tear, threadbare lobby carpets and slightly outdated furnishings in the rooms, but always cleaned to a very high standard, clean towels every day even though we hung ours up to re-use. The entertainment was dire...not our scene at all, the two shows we went to we lasted 30 mins max! Beer was good, rose wine was the best option, sangria was nice and cava was ....fizzy and sweet. We both enjoyed the brandy...quite alot actually!! Overall it was a good place to stay, however we have decided not to visit this particular area again, have been visiting Los Gigantes/Santiago/Playa La Rena for over 15 years, it is 4 years since our last visit and we saw a real downturn in the area, lots of closed shops/cafes/pubs which is a shame, also the smells you encounter when walking along to Los Gigantes are stomach churning. I wouldnt recommend it to a friend for that reason and that reason only.

Room Tip: unfortunately with Thomas Cook we had to pay extra for a full ocean view, other travel companys may...
3  Thank trebleniner
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I would actually rate our stay just short of 4/5 stars -only just. I stayed with my fiancé for a week and pretty much spent the whole week there in the hotel. As British guests we were in the minority during our stay, which has its bonuses, although varying cultures obviously have their own levels of politeness. The cleanliness of the dining room, bedrooms, pool areas and bars are excellent. Staff appear on the whole friendly and helpful but over stretched at times both in the dining room and bars. Due to the all inclusive nature they limit the staff on the bars serving, which at times frustrates. They do allow more than one drink each at a time though which was helpful. Please note the dining room in the evening only allows men to wear trousers and shirts, or t-shirts and jeans. Not 3/4 lengths like I had! Free wifi in the lobby was helpful. Entertainment in the day appeared good for those that wanted it. However the Amimacion team all appeared to be French. This wasn't a problem but just meant that they over-focused towards French guests with announcements etc. This was also very apparent during evening entertainment. Which was OK at best. Possible that Be Live is a French company..? At times food quality was easily 4* but unfortunately at times also 2*. You obviously would never get a buffet style 5* all inclusive but they certain do try.
We paid just under 1000 for the two of us from Birmingham including everything. It was worth that I think. 3 and half out of 5.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy G
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Check in staff were rude, not attentive and not receptive. I was put off from the minute I had to deal with them at check in. Customer service is severely lacking and nonexistent. After the first night we requested to change rooms due to noisiness of the first room. The second room was covered in little bugs all over. There are lots of tiny ants crawling everywhere, and we saw several cockroaches. When I think of all inclusive, I assumed that meant the gym as well, unfortunately not the case. The gym was an additional cost. The bed was horrible. The room is older and needs updating; there was no room service menu to be found in the room.

Only a couple good things to note: The cost was inexpensive, however I received what I paid for. The pool is very nice and the restaurant for Breakfast lunch and dinner is decent. I would not choose to stay here again. The location is nice if you want to spend time at the beach. The beach is a two minute walk.

1  Thank Suayprom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here for four nights. There are some good things and some bad. However, I don’t think I would choose to stay here again. When I arrived around 1:30, I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to wait 20 minutes for a room. However, the luggage room was at your own risk. You throw it in a wide-open room and hope nobody takes it. I was told the room was ocean view after repeatedly asking if that was the case. I was willing to pay more to upgrade. He assured me it was ocean view. Then when he gave me my key, he said it was kind of ocean view but if I wanted the pool/ocean view I would have to pay more. He told me to check out my room first. Now, why wouldn’t you just offer me an upgrade and tell me how much it was from the beginning? The room was OK. I really didn’t have any problems with it except for the bed. The bed was HORRIBLE. I could feel every spring. It had a nasty reusable comforter on top. Even the cleaning staff must have thought it was nasty because he/she put the blanket on my bed and hid the comforter in the closet. The bathroom was spacious with good lighting. The room does have a refrigerator. However, it’s not stocked with anything and you can’t take drinks from the bars. The pool was nice. I did have to get up early to get a chair in the sun by the pool, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. The chairs all came with pads and there were plenty of umbrellas. The pool bar was decent. It had a self-service area where you could get water, soda, and keg beer. They also had a food buffet all day. The annoying part was you could not get bottled water even if you asked for it at the pool bar. You had to go to the piano bar by reception to get bottled water, and they limited how many you could have. Additionally, you could not get bottles, cans, etc. to bring back to your room to have later. This just wasn’t an option. So you couldn’t enjoy a couple of drinks in your room unless you carried them back and drank them before they got hot. If you tried to leave the piano bar with actual glassware, you got in trouble and were told to order room service. Well I don’t know if it was just my room, but there was no room service menu to be found in the room. The food was pretty bad. The breakfast was the only decent meal with made to order omelets, meats, cheeses, cereal, sausage, etc. Lunch in the restaurant was not any better than the pool buffet, which isn’t saying much. I couldn’t make myself eat dinner every night there, and I only stayed four nights. Everything was just cheaply made, cheap ingredients, no meat in pasta, nasty made to order meat. It was just done as cheaply as possible. Plus both sides of the buffet had mostly the same things, so the selection was very limited. I think I ate a different form of pasta with marinara most nights. Never once was seafood offered even on “Spanish” night when seafood was shown on the board. You eat every meal in the same room.

The location is nice if you want to spend time at the beach. The beach is a two minute walk. You can rent a chair and umbrella for 3 Euro each, which I thought was cheap. There is a bathroom there and some restaurants. However, you can’t swim here which was really disappointing. The waves and undertow is so strong that you just kind of stand by the edge of the water. If you try to go out into the water, the lifeguard would whistle you back.

As for the clientele, when I went in November it was mostly older/elderly couples and young couples with young kids. There was a kid’s pool which helped. However, you sometimes had the couple that didn’t think the rules applied to them and would hang out with their kids at the adult pool. Meals were also rather noisy with all the kids. It does say it’s kid friendly and that is definitely the case. There were a few young couples, but not many. Also, if you are looking for a place as a single person or as a single person with a group of friends, do not stay here; at least not in November. I was really disappointed in the social offerings of the hotel, and I never met anyone under 70.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank GTINTC11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de Santiago
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
#16 of 59 in Costa Adeje
Barcelo Santiago
Barcelo Santiago
#1 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago

Been to Be Live Experience Playa La Arena? Share your experiences!