“Holiday break”
Review of Sa Paissa

Sa Paissa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Cala'n Porter
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My Wife and I were delighted that we choose Sa Paissa for a weeks break, the food was excellent , but , the best thing about this break was the staff, they were Fantastic. Having run many Bars and restaurants in the past 40 years ,I was so impressed with this Team and the Owner, they made our holiday. They had Top entertainment on for the Guests outside in the pool area , with a great, busy outside bar. The resort is quite quiet, with a selection of good restaurants and Bars, the beach is not far away and it is a gorgeous sandy beach in a cove , although there are about 187 steps to reach it , I found it good exercise as I have had 2 knee replacements and well worth the effort. The rooms are pretty basic but everything was clean and in good working order , you shouldn't need anymore than that when booking a 2 star, I very much doubt it will stay at that star for long, looking forward to a return visit in September, well done to the owner.

Room Tip: the live entertainment goes on until 00.10am so if you need sleep , then pick a room at the back of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlennandDenatthePlou

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is officially a two star hotel and luxury can not be expected. However the room was clean and tidied daily. The chambermaid was charming and the balcony, while a little small, was pleasant to sit in. Breakfast was very good and a constant supply of hot food was laid on. The Sa Paissa restaurant served up some really good food at a reasonable price and the staff were wonderful. The evening entertainment was mainly but not entirely in the form of tribute bands all of whom were terrific. There are a number of shops and restaurants near the hotel and we had good food everywhere we went. There are also 2 car hire places nearby although we hired form a larger company at the airport who delivered the car to us. Parking close to the hotel was easy. The attractive beach is a relatively short distance away although there is quite a steep hill leading to it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a bit quieter
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alec513
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the sa paisa for two weeks this june and really enjoyed ourselves. Yes the accommodation is small and so is the balcony, but you get what you pay for. Sabin and his staff are wonderful, and Flower, the maid is fabulous. Our room was spotlessly clean to the extent that you could smell the disinfectant. The food was really good and plentiful too. The location is excellent and the weather was lovely. Overall this is a lovely place to stay if you want cheap and cheerful.
The sa paisa is good quality digs, food is smashing and a lovely location. What more could you want.
Comments regarding small rooms and bathrooms. If you are wanting a 5* hotel, pay the 5* price.
Otherwise stay at the sa paisa and use the spare money to hire a car and explore beautiful Menorca like we did.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alison l
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I booked a late summer break (having taken our summer holiday in Cyprus earlier in the year). I last visited Cala'n Porter 20+ years ago as a child, and wanted to return to see what had changed. Having previously stayed in a villa, I was looking for somewhere I could base myself, but see and visit parts of the town and beyond. Sa Paissa provided exactly that!

Upon arrival, the reception area was closed, but a sign in place clearly directing you to the bar area. We had arrived early (check-in wasn't until 2pm), but were given our room keys and a welcome pack and sent on our way. We met the cleaner on the way, who, in her broken English, advised that the room wasn't ready, but we could leave our bags, which we did. We then went on a walk of the town to take in the sights, and within 10 minutes found ourselves on the beach. We returned to the hotel and sat watching the world go by (assisted by a few Cerveza's!) and found the waiting and bar staff extremely efficient and friendly.

As the week went on, we used the restaurant and bar more frequently, and watched one night of the entertainment (The Temptations tribute) which was first class. As the season was drawing to a close, the resort was a lot quieter, and therefore there wasn't entertainment every night of the week, however that didn't bother us.

We found the food excellent, with a mix of both Spanish and English dishes on the menu. (I've reviewed the restaurant separately).

Maria behind the bar looked after me (kept putting pints in front of me when the glass was empty!!) whenever I was there, and even tempted me with the local Gin as well. The rest of the waitresses and bar team were equally as pleasant and helpful.

The rooms were small, but did the job (double beds, as per the majority of these type of places are two singles pushed together), shower and toilet and sink. A built in wardrobe and dressing table (and a safety deposit box (€2 per day to hire)). They were cleaned every day by the friendly cleaner, and there was a small balcony for hanging towels, swimming stuff etc to dry.

There is a small terrace area with a swimming pool (very clean) and sun beds and chairs/tables around the pool.

Would I return?? - Yes, of course! A friendly, quaint hotel with easy access across the town.

5  Thank LukeM_83
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights earlier this month.

When we got there it wasn't clear where to check in so I asked a waiter who was very, very rude when he told me it was inside the restaurant.
Inside, a waitress told us in broken English that the toilet in our room was broken. We had to wait for half an hour before a room was found for us. We asked for a double room, but what we got was 2 twin beds pushed together.

The room was tiny. Just room for the 2 beds and a small table and chair. The bathroom is so small that the sink is inside the bedroom and there is just a shower and a toilet in there. The shower leaked so we had to leave the towels they provided on the floor so we didn't slip and hurt ourselves. There is a big step to get out of the shower unit and if you misjudge it, you could end up bashing your big toe and losing half your toenail like I did!

The rooms boast that they have balconies or terraces but don't be fooled, there's barely enough space for 2 patio chairs. The "balcony" door is the only source of natural light as there are no windows. The door can be covered with a curtain but the curtain pole fell down 3 times when I opened the curtain and gave me a nasty bruise on my shoulder blade.

There is a wardrobe with a few hangers for your clothes and there is a small chest of drawers pushed behind part of the wardrobe that won't open (because it's behind the sink) so you can't use it. I pulled it out so I could because I hate living out of a suitcase.

The maid service is quite good, she even comes in and makes your bed when you leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door which we found annoying because we don't like people coming in and out of our room when we specifically said not to.

I read reviews on here about how people love the breakfast, and sure if you enjoy having to queue up to make your own toast and spend 10 minutes fighting through the masses to get a plate then yes, it's great. But we didn't enjoy it at all and decided to eat at one of the cafes on the way to the beach or at the Village Pub (best sausage and bacon on toast I have ever had!!) for the rest of the week.

A few nights a week there were tribute acts on downstairs on the terrace so it can get quite noisy until about 1am. We saw the Temptations which were good and then there was a Dancing in the street act which was appalling so we left.

The one redeeming feature Sa Paissa has is that it is right in the centre of the town. Close to all the bars and restaurants so we didn't have far to walk to go places. There is a taxi rank just outside of the restaurant and on the other side of the road there is a bus stop that will take you to Mahon. The buses are only every hour or so, so you'll have to check the times when you get there.

There seemed to be only a cleaner that worked here. Everybody else were in the restaurant and they just ignored us. We never bothered to eat in the restaurant because the menu isn't that appealing and the service seemed slow and the staff were just plain rude. People post pictures of the reception area but it is never attended so its just a desk with flyers and books on. There is no one to help you out so you're better off venturing into the town and finding an English person that lives there. There are TONS of them and once you get speaking to them they are nice enough and will help you out. Particularly the guys that worked at the Village Pub and Irish Bar and there is also a lovely women in a shop called the Owl of Menorca. All these people helped us out more than anyone at Sa Paissa.

I wouldn't stay here again. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to stay here. There are other hotels so please, if you want a nice holiday, stay in one of them!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Shellymoo25
Reviewed 22 September 2013

arrived at hotel reception all shut at 1 pm on a package holiday walked across to bar to see who to see created by a english lady who said to check here with me.
N/B the bar seems to be reception as the reception never opened.
Had to wait a while till keys to room were located, at this point we were told maintanence were on route to fix toilet flush which in a couple of hours was sorted.
unpacked and tried to settle in not much chance to sit on balcony with a brew as it was only about 4ft square max in our case it was husbands smoke shelf.
The resort was rather quiet but this was maybe due to end of season, there were a lot of villas so lots of supermarkets
the hotel is small only 27 bedrooms we did know prior to booking that it was only a 2 star but it was not a problem.(but do remember it is only a 2 star) on the other hand it was very friendly and welcoming not really suitable for families or clubbers due to low key.
However having said all this the hotel bar is the main center of attraction in the eve as a meeting point and the resort entertainment, it was packed to the rafters with a very good atmosphere. The night time was tribute acts some of which ere worth watching.
In general the restaurants, bars, cafes were much the much where ever you go. A lot of them were doing menu of the day which would include a drink and three course
Taxi from mahon is 15 euros and a fixed price of 6 euros around resort.
The beach is a bit of a hike from the main hotels as it is down the cliffwhich is either by steps (184 phewwww) or road which is steep on your return , there is no tourist train as sen on the web and not been for a few years now,
But all in all taking into account the plus and the minus for us we enjoyed.
so give it a try and hope you enjoy too

Reviewed 16 September 2013

had a good week , very basic hotel with good entertainment.
Resturant was busy every day and food was good and reasonbly priced, you could eat very well for 15 euros
Rooms were spacious and clean however a bit basic but not bad for price
Entertainment was excellent with some vey believable tribute bands
Staff were a bit surley in places especially the english waitress but and no reception as such at the hotel, you needed to go to siesta Mar abuot 50 metres up the road
Not for the decerning but a nice cheap week not and bad value for money

pleant decent resturants roundabout quiet resort worth a visit for quick week in Sun !!

Room Tip: look for a room at back rather than facing pool much quieter
1  Thank jimandmags_13
Maribel Apartamentos
Maribel Apartamentos
#4 of 7 in Cala Blanca
Artiem Carlos III Adults Only

Been to Sa Paissa? Share your experiences!