“standards slipped”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Cala'n Porter
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“standards slipped”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

i have been coming to cala n porter for years and i move around a bit dipping in from time to time here at seista mar. we had to wait 4 hours for our room and i was really ill unfortunately. reception not as friendly i even tried to speak spanish which was met with disdain. where we were staying was lovely and quiet, room never got sheets changed and towels only once come peeps get a grip and maid was lucky if she pushed her broom around i gutted the place not what you want on holiday, fridge was dodgy but they were not interested when we told them not complain just to let them know. the big pool in siesta mar is good but needs more sunbeds. siestamar 2 better for kiddies nice pool and play areas but this place used to be the bom,, what on earth has happened they do make the best pizza's to take away. we came for the festival it is there 40th anniversary next year but i think i will be staying somewhere else and not recommending as i used too

Room Tip: no point in emailing to request a room you wont get it we tried and failed miserably
1 Thank m1monroe1

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Booked the appt directly with the owner, the online photo's flattered to deceive I'm afraid and obviously taken 20 years ago when it was new. The kitchen was minute, open the cooker door onto the fridge and unable to open draws as they hit cooker side plus in 10 days we never managed to light the oven, there were a number of essentails missing ie, chopping board & other items, there was a mish mash of Crockery & cutlery. The back balcony seemed to be a dumping ground for anything not wanted in the apartment, the aircon in the bedroom constantly iced up so when turned off it dripped a large pool of water at the bed end, also only 1 bolt on the back door engaged & the same on the Patio front door, so I felt it was a little unsecured. The entire complex needs some TLC and soon.
The Good, the place was clean enough, the people who looked after it were very helpful & promptly around, the Sun loungers were excellent, the patio large & sunny, the place was in an excellent location and finally the place had English TV.
Would I go back? No but mainly because Menorca has changed for the worse, Cal'n Porter is just a big jumble of Villas & apartments.

1 Thank spotbot1
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 24 September 2013

cleanliness: good
decor: outdated
size/layout: large and quite nice
facilities: nice pools with mini waterslide, cute restaurant area, cute apartments.
location: on main strip of town, 3 groceries right across the street. HOWEVER bars next door blasted loud music into the wee hours. It was hard for the kids to sleep.

Overall: cheap but you get what you pay for. Very basic, not even a sponge or soap for washing or a coffeemaker. electric circuit kept tripping whenever we used hot water pot.

staff were friendly. needed them to explain how to turn on the gas stove. when lightbulb burnt out in the evening, no one was able to come change it.

beach was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank wongvh

Travellers are raving about these Cala'n Porter hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Clean but dated and vey basic appartment, 2 good pools, dreadful food, breakfast was cold, BBQ was dry & tasteless, reception staff unhelpful and unfriendly (when enquring about the password for the wifi I was told to look in the restaurant where nothing was displayed so I had to ask at the bar instead).

2 Thank CJF952
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Came back on the 11th Sept 2013, this was 12th times I've been to Menorca and always will because is close to my heart and many good memories. Siesta Mar I is my 1st time with my girlfriend and have no problem with the apartment but the service is very poor and not helpful. We arrived around 11am on 1st Sept but the check-in time is 2pm but our room was empty!? Took me 20mins to find my apartment and had troubles unlock the door but the apartment is ok, very clean and the worst bit was there isn't a TV!! Air con didn't work at first so I had to call out handyman which he's helpful but apart from that, all the rooms is fine. But just to warn you, the cleaners only come every 3 to 4 days with clean towels.
Surrounding the apartments is stunning, lovely gardens and beautiful COLD pools!! I always love Menorca during their fiesta festivals and definitely go back but in the villa this time! My advice to you is hire a car because you'll need to get around. Trust me, the roads is clean and safe. Breakfast is from 9am to 11am which is surprised me because a lot of hotels breakfast times from 7am!!

Room Tip: Most apartments is privately own by investors so you don't have much choice.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have stayed at Siesta Mar on many occassions, both privately booked and directly with Siesta Mar. There are two pools and separate complexes over the road from one another. Siesta Mar 1 has a quieter pool and playground, whilst Siesta Mar 2 has a nicer landscaped pool area with two slides, but is slightly noisier. In years past we have struggled to get sunbeds for both pools, but I'm happy to say that seems to have been addressed this year and we had no problem despite it being very busy. The rooms are basic, but you need to remember this is not a 5 star. However, they are clean and well equipped in the kitchen. The food is very good, particularly the pizzas which take some beating! There are two supermarkets directly opposite the complex and I would suggest that anybody goes across to buy drinks and ice creams from here as prices from the Siesta Mar bar will be almost double! There are trampolines and bouncy castles opposite also and the location means that the beach, shops and restaurants are all easily accessed. There is also a laundrette and helpful reception area and tokens can be purchased for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you want to budget - I think about 15-16 euros/day. The only downside is that the website suggests entertainment. However, this is only available on a Tuesday and Thursday which is slightly misleading. Entertaining did used to be on every night with a fantastic disco for children, but this year this is not the case.

Room Tip: Siesta Mar 1 is quieter than Siesta Mar 2 and may be more suited to people without children.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Laney1972
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed at private rental in Siesta Mar in July. Fantastic spot, near the centre of town - <5 minutes walk to the Spar and the main drag of restaurants (Sa Paissa, Casa Tia, El Pulpo etc). 10 minutes walk down to the beach. 182 steps up from the beach carrying our 2 year old was my daily exercise. Pool was small for the number of apartments but didn't ever feel crowded (NB we were there just before the main school holiday). Pool with water slides next door in Siesta Mar 2 was busier but we still managed to get loungers.

Apartment was functional (ie had everything we needed - 2 bedrooms, kitchenette, bath with shower, nice terrace) but small - so don't plan to spend a lot of time in it or cook a fancy meal. Plenty of lawned area to spread out over though, outside.

Only disappointment (and not with the accomodation) was the quality of the restaurants in Cala n Porter which was average tourist fare and therefore really disappointing after our experiences elsewhere in Spain.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Playa Azul
Hotel Playa Azul
#1 of 8 in Cala'n Porter
Aparthotel HG Jardin de Menorca

Been to Siesta Mar I? Share your experiences!