“BAD LOCATION”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Cala Bahia

Hotel Cala Bahia
“BAD LOCATION”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

we stayed here for a last minute break in july, we didnt read the reviews, but should of!! its not so much the hotel but the location, its in a lilttle local village with almost nothing there to do, one night we walked along the beach all night trying to find somewhere to eat but went back hungry!

If you have booked this already then you can get the local bus to malaga city (1.50 euro pp each way) and malaga is lovely, great restaurants and shops and you wont be disappointed...... the buses also go on late into the night so its easy to go out for the night.

as for the hotel, positives...the pool is on the roof and a complete sun trap and the rooms are quite big....negtives.... no one speaks english at all so its hard to explain anything, food is awful dont ever get the nachos! the breakfast is basic not a great selection and once we took bottles of beer and water back to our room and the next day there were signs everywhere saying we are not allowed oops! oh and the spa we tryed to book a morning massage but the receptionist said no because they wanted it in the afternoon so we cancelled

basically pick somewhere else its just too far from anything and very local!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank englishcouple_32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have just come from a one night stay at this hotel (3 nights booked- had to get out of this horrific place after 12 hours of stepping foot in the door) the worst hotel, if you can even call it that I've ever seen in my life. Delighted to find such great value in a 4* hotel after coming off a cruise ship to stay in Malaga for a few nights before returning home. Unfortunately- this is NO way a 4* hotel, not even sure you could say it was of 2* standard. The hotel was bare and dirty. The rooms were not 'modern' but dark, very dirty and dated and the sheets were filthy. We simply had no choice but to move into a more expensive Marriott in central Malaga as it just was not bearable. WARNING- the staff are all rude and creepy especially the hotel owner who practically stalks you around and follows you into the lifts. The food was okay, the only alright part of the few hours spent there but the waitress sneers at you as she serves it. No towels to be seen anywhere, the pool area was nice but again, dirty. Noone could speak a word of English anywhere, not even when we ventured outside into the local shops who seemed shocked English tourists were around their 'village'. No air-con. A choice of scolding hot water or freezing. Mould everywhere. I could rant on and on about the horrors we experienced at this hotel for the one night we were there - all in all it was a very.... uncomfortable few hours.

Room Tip: Just don't get one!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Luciexo7

Travellers are raving about these Rincon de la Victoria hotels

Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My friends and I booked this hotel as a short break to relax in Malaga area after a week working in Granada and it certainly provided a relaxing environment for us all. The hotel is slightly set away from the beach front but the sea was a clear view from our clean, spacious modern rooms. The only slight disappointment was that we couldn't book a massage whilst there due to the service being provided on specific days we were not staying, however we did use the other spa facilities there which were an unusual but relaxing experience and the rooftop pool area was small but had an amazing view and was a great place to catch some rays.
The beautiful serene area of Rincon de la Victoria was not close to Malaga centre but this was not a problem as the reception staff were really helpful in sorting us a with a taxi company that didn't rip us off unlike the one we took from the airport. The hotel was also very accommodating with our check out time and looked after our bags both before checking in and after checking out.

I would recommend friends staying here if you want time away in a peaceful relaxing area of Malaga and may even look to return one day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

If you want somewhere to stay near the beach east of Malaga, then this is a good option, but not the best place to base yourself if you're visiting the Costa Del Sol. Nice new hotel is an authentic Spanish area, big rooms, pool on the roof, all that you could ask for and I found the staff quite accommodating, although this may because the booking was done through a local agent that knows them well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul G
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have just come back from a four day break at this hotel. Here are the main points from what was a very disappointing stay:

- The hotel rooms were ok, quite modern but with no balcony (facing a block of flats with no sea view)
- The pool was out of bounds and there were no facilities at all - the bar was always closed and locked and I enjoy a glass of wine in the evening with a cigarette but I was left to have one outside like a homeless person - not at all what you expect from a 4 * hotel.
- When I raised concerns I was accused of being drunk by two arrogant male receptionists. I then asked for the owner of the hotel and the staff got abusive and said he was sleeping.
- The police were called twice and I was manhandled and escorted to my room. Very embarrassing and resulting in bad feeling between me and my mother as the receptionist had called her to state that I was disturbing the peace (all because I wanted to see the manager to complain about the rudness of these two men).
- The town itself is very very very quiet, the shops and restaurants are empty and many buildings are empty and in a bad state. - definately not a family resort or for anyone who likes lots of things to do.
- The locals seemed to not like the English especially the men and I suggest that if any woman is travelling alone they go to the centre of Malaga (the hotel was advertised as Malaga but it is a 15 - 20 minute bus ride away, 16 Euros to the train station and 50 Euros to the airport).

I will be taking this complaint further as this is definately not a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get into a discussion or try to complain about any aspect of your stay. Its pointless as the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 678Lucy1981
Manilva, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed for a weekend break, the hotel area was quiet but apt for relaxing. We chose the hotel due to the SPA deal and hydromassage bath in room. The SPA was small / overcrowded, but the hydrobath in the room was excellent.

The room was great, huge with giant windows and with a view of the sea, as we requested. There was also a fridge in the room which was handy. The room was immaculately clean and when we asked for extra towels, they were provided immediately with no quibble.

The service from the staff was of a high standard, we were made to feel very welcome at check-in and the breakfast staff were superb, despite us and more guests turning up five minutes before breakfast ends, the waiters continued to serve us and bring out more juice and food. The breakfast selection was very good in general.

We had a few drinks at the upstairs bar, excellent Mojito's but the entertainment was not anything to write home about, they played about four songs in loop for the time we were there.

The rooftop pool and views are lovely and in the summer would be wonderful. Would love to return when the weather warms up.

For anyone booking this hotel, please note that it is not in Malaga and if you want a hotel in Malaga city, then book a hotel in Malaga city. It was clear to us on booking that the hotel was not in Malaga, Rincon de la Victoria is a quiet Spanish area with a few local amenities and if you are looking for more than this you would need to hire a car or book a hotel elsewhere.

Overall the value of the hotel was excellent and we would return for a quite break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view of the sea
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I recently spent one night in this hotel and was extremely dissapointed by almost every element. All the information I found listed on line was grossly in accurate; most of the facilities don't exist, it is miles from anywhere; to the airport - 2 hours by bus, 40 min by taxi with a hefty £40 price tag, or into malaga 45 mins on bys 30 min by taxi - definately not as advertised! The spa was COLD! And everything was dirty and dated.

The price was fairly cheap so I had low expectations but even then it was way below acceptable! 4 Star - more like 2 star! The biggest dissapointment was the exceptionally rude receptionist who was extremely aggressive and unhelpful when I asked for assistance to arrange my airport transfer. He repeatedly told me to 'shut up' and seemed more interested on going back to playing with his phone! The only redeeming factor was an extremely helpful female receptionist who helped me once his shift had ended. I had intended to leave the hotel after the confrontational mannor in which he dealt with me, but she was very helpful and professional.

Overall I would suggest not going there unless you want a dissapointment!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Joanne12345_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon de la Victoria
Rincon Sol
#1 of 90 in Malaga
Barcelo Malaga
#2 of 90 in Malaga
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,799 reviews

Been to Hotel Cala Bahia? Share your experiences!