“Pleasantly surprised”

Bistro 42 Horbury
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Horbury
Price range: US$10 - US$38
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bar 42 offers a unique eating and drinking experience to the people of Horbury, Ossett and the surrounding areas. Since opening we quickly became known as 'the place to be' for young and old alike. These are exciting times at 42! Very soon we will be revealing our brand new menus coming soon. These will make a great addition alongside our existing greay value for money offers! lunchtime meal deals, for dinner 2 courses for 1 from 5pm We serve food all day from noon, and breakfast fri-sun from 9am, , Mon - Thurs 12-9.30pm Fri-Sat 9am to 9.30pm, Sunday 9am - 7pm and our amazing 2-4-1 offer has returned. Claim a free starter with every main course Mon-Thurs 5-9.30Pm. Here at 42 we also enjoy some great sunday musical evenings. Book your table now to avoid disappointment! Oh and our offers are proper offers, Remember mon-thurs 5pm to 9.30pm the 2 course offer is all night, any starter FREE, with any main course on the menu including any starter or main on the specials board. (that's a proper offer). for the Best value around "Go 42".
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I visited bistro 42 in September with my family (my grandparents had been before and recommended it). When I saw the vast menu I didn't quite know what to expect of the quality of food but was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have a starter but tried some of the others round the table and they were all tasty. I opted for the fillet steak for my main course with a side of peppercorn sauce. The steak was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth and the peppercorn sauce (which I am quite fussy about) was also delicious. My step dad also ordered a steak (rib eye) and was also impressed! Although I didn't have a dessert they looked good and I had a mouthful of the profiteroles which were yummy!
We visited on a Friday night and the atmosphere was buzzing, especially as the evening progressed. There seemed to be quite a young crowd in-some who were eating and some who had just come in to have a drink. There were quite a few parties in so it became quite noisy later on, which did not bother me but my grandparents found it a bit too much. I would definitely recommend bistro 42 if you're looking for a somewhere with a good, lively atmosphere where you can have fun with your friends.

2 Thank YoungYorkshireCouple

Wakefield
“Not bad ...”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Having had a few bad experiences in the past here with trying to arrange bookings to no avail it was with slight trepidation that we attended last Saturday evening.
The food was very good, I had the steak pie and it was very tasty. Everyone in our party were happy with the food provided but the service was rather average, you almost seemed a little bit of a nuisance to the serving staff.
After the meal we all went outside either for a cigarette or just to cool down (it was rather hot) and we asked the waitress to watch our drinks, coats etc. When we returned another table had some people join them and simply took half of our chairs, we then had to 'borrow' chairs from other parts of the restaurant, not good!
The price is very reasonable and it didnt actually put us off attending again, however be warned, if you eat later on (we ate at 7.30) on weekend nights the bar at the side of the restaurant gets very busy and the bar customers tend to encroach onto the restaurant side ... making it a bit crapmed and very noisy!

• Visited October 2012
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Used to be great. What happened?”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Came here on a Sunday for a family party. We have been here before but our last visit saw just me and my wife waiting over an hour for a Greek Salad at lunch and it wasn't busy. That was our last visit before this.
I can say that I won't be visiting here again after this. The service was far too slow and the food was bad. I had a Thai Fishcake for starters which was way overcooked and I had a Chicken Caesar Salad for main to which there was no Lettuce, Croutons or even Caesar dressing. At best it was a poor attempt at a chicken salad. Also the chicken was overcooked, dry and charred beyond tasty. I ended up leaving over half of it.
Our table was cluttered with plates, the servers kept bringing out plates but not taking anything away, I had to pile everything up. Our children had chicken nuggets which again, we're overcooked and they didn't eat them. Have you ever known kids not to eat nuggets?
The atmosphere was lively for a Sunday teatime, however the heating was on and it was far too warm. Our kids were starting to get wound up into the main meal.
I used to frequent here at least once a week before our kids arrived, I'm saddened to give such a slating but I hope someone picks up on it.
Food 1/5, Staff 1/5, Atmosphere 3/5, Environment 1/5, Price 2/5. Total 1.6/5.

• Visited September 2012