Like so many others we bought a voucher at Sandringham craft fair and thought that at that price it would be a little rough around the edges but couldn't be that bad. How wrong we were. The first thing I noticed going to our room was the filthy unvacumed stair carpet. Going into the room (which was very small) we were hit by the smell of damp. The carpet was stained and dirty and the paper was peeling off the ceiling. When I sat on the bed I found I was sitting on the base of the bed. What springs there were in the mattress dug into us so much that we ended up going to buy two duvets the next day to try and make it more comfortable. The bathroom needed an extensive re-vamp. The bath had a huge crack in the bottom so goodness knows where the water went even if you did want to use it. There was just a shower hose attached to the bath taps that was nowhere long enough for you to stand and shower with. The bath panel was split and the shelf over the sink was just hanging on at a precarious angle. The laminate flooring was also starting to pop up.The dining room/conservatory had dead fly's everywhere, mould around the window frames and generally needed a thorough re-vamp. The table cloths were dirty and had dog hairs on them and the cutlery needed a proper clean. We did eat there, as we were too tired to drive anywhere else,and the food was good. Breakfast was also good and the foreign waiters were very polite unlike the English waiter who guite frankly needed a kick up the backside as he clearly couldn't be bothered with anything. The location of the hotel is great if you just want to get away from it all but is a good 45 minute drive from Oban. We left after two nights. Frankly you would get much better value and a much better experience staying in one of the wonderful b&b's in Oban. So to sum up, we would not stay here again. It wasn't the bargain we thought it was.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel, with restaurant and bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Portsonachan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portsonachan Hotel And Lodges On Loch Awe
- Portsonachan Hotel Dalmally
- Portsonachan Resort Dalmally