We had booked two rooms (for four people) for a Saturday night stay, arrived in the late afternoon (around 6pm) and no one was around to meet us. We called the phone number for the B&B to say that we had arrived and were told that the toilets in the two rooms we had booked were not working and that instead we would be staying across town at a pub that had accommodation. When we arrived at the pub the staff there said that there were frequent issues with the toilets at Springfield B&B and that they often had to provide rooms for Springfield's guests at the pub as substitute accommodation. Unfortunately, although we had booked en suite rooms at Springfield, one of the rooms at the pub was not en suite and also, unfortunately, there was a band playing that night at the pub and people were making noise at the pub until after midnight so we all had trouble getting to sleep. We called the landlady of Springfield B&B the next day and said that we were not satisfied with the standard of accommodation at the substitute site and that we would speak with her later in the week when we had booked another night's stay at Springfield B&B (after finishing our week-long long-distance walk). When we arrived later in the week, on a Friday evening (arrived around 7pm), once again, no one was around to greet us. We phoned the landlady and asked her which rooms we were in and she said the keys were in the doors. We asked if we needed a key for the front door and she said that we wouldn't need a key because someone would come round and lock the front door at 11.30pm. Our group of four stayed in rooms #1 and #4. The saniflo system in the bathroom in room #1 stopped working during the second shower taken by the people in the room; it completely stopped draining. We weren't sure if the system would start working again so we had to ask our friends staying in the other room if we could use their bathroom if we needed to. We checked the front door to the B&B after midnight and discovered that it was not locked (contrary to what the landlady had promised over the phone), so anyone could have walked into the B&B. In the morning, once again, the landlady was not there. The hired help served us breakfast, which was an average Full English Breakfast, but we had to once again phone the landlady to speak with her about our stay. When we told her that we were not satisfied with the standard of the substitute accommodation at the pub the Saturday before, she said that she had paid £14 more for us to stay there and would not accept the fact that we felt that the standard was not comparable to what we had paid for and expected at the B&B. We told her about concerns: that the bathroom in room #1 had stopped working after the second shower and she was not apologetic in any way and we mentioned the fact that the front door to the B&B had never been locked despite her saying it would be and she denied that it had not been locked. Overall, we felt that our concerns had not been listened to and after two nights' stay we never once saw the landlady and when phoned to voice our concerns we were told that we were being "awkward". We would never ever stay at this B&B again and would not recommend it to anyone. I have no idea how this B&B ever earned four stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Springfield Guest House is a three story Victorian townhouse. We have six large en suite rooms. Bed and breakfast starts at a very reasonable price. We have double, twin and family rooms which can sleep up to five persons. We are located right in the centre of beautiful Rothbury, an ideal base to visit the whole of Northumberland. We have off street parking and cycle storage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Springfield Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springfield Guest House Hotel Rothbury
- Springfield Guest House Rothbury, Northumberland