“Excellent location for exploring the beautiful countryside”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothbury
Katerina's Guest House
Ranked #8 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Reading Berkshire
“Excellent location for exploring the beautiful countryside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were in Room 1 at the back of the guesthouse which is cosy with a four poster bed and ensuite bathroom with shower over the bath. it was great to have a varied choice of breakfast with excellent quality food. Cath and Ian are very helpful and Ian is quite a character with plenty of information current and historical about the local area. Rothbury is a good place to stay as it has a few pubs and restaurants to choose from. On Ians recommendation i tried the chicken stuffed with haggis at the Queens Head, very nice. The drive over to Alnwick from Rothbury offers superb views of the countryside and on a good day you can see the sea. The Treehouse Restaurant at Alnwick is a lovely place to eat as the food is very good and the venue unusual as it actually is a treehouse. There are so many things to see and do in the area and some good walks around Rothbury as well. Katerinas Guest House makes a good base for visiting a beautiful unspoilt part of the country.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6Cassy9, Owner at Katerina's Guest House, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear past visitors,
I'm so sorry that it took this long for me to realise that I could thank you online for your kind review. I now know this because TripAdvisor sent me an explanatory letter today!
Since I received the letter, I have written individually to everyone who reviewed us in 2012 and am determined also to thank those who reviewed us way back in 2011 or before.
The existance of TripAdvisor is so helpful to accommodation providers and the public alike. For the first time, the needs of the intending holiday maker can be matched to the available establishment for the good of both.
TripAdvisor could not function without individuals like yourselves who are prepared to spend their time, considering their opinion carefully and taking time to write, placing it on the www for all to see. Very public spirited!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We had a family wedding near Rothbury, and decided to spend two nights locally as we were travelling up from Cornwall. We booked our stay with Ian and Cath, for four of us - on arrival we were greeted by our very friendly hosts and shown to our rooms. Katarina's B&B is a charming olde worlde establishment, with only three rooms and a separate dining area. It's like stepping back in time.
We'd already pre- booked an evening meal at the B&B as we knew we'd be arriving fairly late. The food was lovely, and the recommended wine also delicious.
I would certainly recommend Katarina's - our stay with Ian and Cath was 5*, and though the rooms are quirky and 'different' from what some people may expect, it's a unique place with unique hosts. and the perfect base from which to explore this beautiful area.

Room Tip: We were more than happy with ours (room 2)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
North East Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Stayed with Cath and Ian for three nights over the Bank Holiday weekend. We were in Room 2 which is smaller than the other rooms, but not a problem; it overlooked the main street. Everything was very clean. Decor is lace, chintz, warm reds. Nice to have two chairs to sit in, rather than just the bed as is often the case with B and B. Nice big wardrobe and convenient dressing table.
Breakfasts were excellent, lots of choice, and very good quality. I had the Whisky Porridge every morning: great to start the day with! Scrambled eggs and salmon were lovely, as were the tomatoes in olive oil with herbs.
Cath and Ian are two characters, with lots of interaction with guests.
Parked outside which was convenient.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Ilford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

This guest house is ideally situated in a beautiful part of the country. The rooms were nicely furnished, and the inclusion of a small fridge meant we could have fresh milk in tea and coffee - a real bonus! The owners were very welcoming and friendly. The wifi was extremely useful.

Room Tip: Ideal for beautiful Cragside NT property.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

This was our 7th stay at Cath and Ians guest house and it was just as perfect as the 1st time we stayed with them. The guest house is very welcoming and feels very comfortable as soon as you walk through the door. The rooms are very clean and you get a nice selection of teas and coffee in your room. The fresh home made bread is very nice and the breakfast is lovely and you get a wide selection to choose from. Cath and Ian are two of the best hosts we have ever come across and we will definatly be back to see them for many more visits.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

Our third visit to Katerinas and, for the second time, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. As we have come to expect from Cath and Ian, they gave us a memorable week with a warm welcome, delicious food,( Cath's home made bread and meringues are to die for!) cosy well-appointed rooms with exceptional attention to detail, and Ian's amazing knowledge of everything Northumbrian.
Rothbury is a delightful town and a good centre to tour from with any number of interesting places to visit. Favourites on our list are Cragside, Alnwick (castle and particularly the gardens) Chillingham Castle and of course the coastal treasures of the Farne Islands, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne.
A day out to any of the above is only improved on by returning to the warm hospitality of Cath and Ian's little hidden treasure.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

Rothbury is a great place to stay when exploring Northumberland and Katerinas Guest House is ideal. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfast choice was good. Evening meals were available on request but we preferred to go out.

Our room (No. 2) and bathroom were both nice but rather small. As we only stayed two nights, this was not a problem. I believe their other rooms are more spacious. Plenty of free "on street" parking in front of the Guesthouse.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple