“brilliant hotel brilliant staff”

and 1 more site!
Newcastle House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“brilliant hotel brilliant staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

jst stayed herefor 1 night 21st jan 12, staff great. Really summed up the village of Rothbury in that locals and staff were so friendly. Place is really relaxing, just what we needed after a couple of stressful weeks. Great night sleep bed so comfy. Special mention must go to owner Sarah who was so welcoming and makes guests feel at home. Would fully reccommend this hotel and would make comment to the Travel agent to accept that this venue is typical English village pub and should be rated as such. They were so concerned with finding faults they missed the essence of the pub village and the locals. Sarah informed me and my wife they had only acquired the hotel 18 months ago and the process of updating will take time. One thing is for sure they are setting solid foundations with the basiscs for any small indepentant hotel in that they offer a friendley relaxed atmosphere with great personal service.Good luck for the future and thanks for a great night!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was a last minute booking, staff on arrival were friendly and very helpful. Our room was very spacious and lovely and clean. We had drinks in the bar where the staff and locals were friendly and helpful. At breakfast time nothing was too much trouble plenty of tea & toast was brought out, the full English was very good with a high standard of sausage & bacon excellent quality and outstanding service & value for money we will defiantly stay again. Mr & Mrs S Mcentee

• Stayed December 2011
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

The bar is ok, the staff are nice, the cooked breakfast is pretty good, but unfortunately the whole place is scruffy. Lots of odd bits of furniture and spare picture frames are to be found in corridors. Pity, as it could be tidied up with very little effort.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gummington
sassle, Owner at Newcastle House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
I am sorry to see this review as the person does not give any allowances to the owner for redecoration of the upper floors and function room to be carried out with out the removal of the pictures and furniture which were placed I would agree randomly around the building. the work is nearly completed and the items some of which have already will be returning to there usual tidy places.
In a time when money is tight and as a business we are trying to improve a very tired and old building which has had no investment from previous owners for several years closing to redecorate is not an option.

It is good to hear you found the staff to be nice and the bar area ok (this has been refurbished earlier this year) and that the breakfast was good. We aim to please.
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The reason I am prepared to write this review is because, as a travel agent, I use tripadvisor as my bible when reerving accommodation for my clients. This is one of the roughest hotels I have stayed in. The building is beautiful, the room spacious, the duvets and pillows, comfortable and the location excellent in a quaint little village but that is really the end of the positives. The bedlinen was not matching which made me feel that the apricot bottom sheet on the double bed was just arbitrarily pulled from a cupboard. The room was set up for 3 of us but there were only 2 coffee cups and when I requested a 3rd, I was given a mug that was so coffee stained as to look dirty - I had to rinse it with boiling water before I felt ok to use it. The television had not been tuned so there was only 1 channel that we could watch and it was totally unsuitable for young children. There is no phone in the room. The carpet needed a good clean

Room Tip: I would definitely look for other accommodation in Rothbury
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Sue C
sassle, Owner at Newcastle House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. I think you may have selected a place to stay that is not 5star and has never pretended to be we offer good comfortable accommodation which you agreed you had. If you need telephones in your room and fresh towels everyday with sky TV, then maybe you need to stay elsewhere rather than a traditional country pub which is what we are. As for the bedding I think had you checked you would have found that the bottom sheet matches the valance on the kingsize bed and that a cream duvet cover ties in well with the duck egg blue and cream curtains. The bedding is all minimum 300 thread count and your sheets are acctually 400 thread count so we do have a standard. Regards the TV I checked the TV and it worked perfectly once it had had some new batteries in the remote if I had been told at the time that it would not change channel we could have sorted this out, you said nothing until you left. Regards the carpets the mark you are refering to is not a stain but a burn, it happened less that 2 weeks ago when we had some other people staying we are in discussion with them to have the carpet replaced. I have to admit I am a bit dissappointed with my staff for giving you a dirty mug that I must say is inexcusable. It is a shame you did not mention any of these issues on the morning of your first night it would have given us the oppertunity to correct them. We feel that in this instance you have been a little over aggressive in your comments as you did not give us the chance to attend to anything before you left. We would ask anyone reading this to have a look at the other reviews on trip advisor and you will find that we are a friendly welcoming pub with rooms, that offers comfortable beds and a hearty breakfast.
seahouses
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Hiking the St.Oswalds Way we arrived very early for a three day stay, but were welcomed and allowed to leave our luggage before setting off for the first stage of our walk. Jacqie the cleaner/waitress/ general treasure had both our rooms ready for our return a soggy, dripping 8 hours later. The rooms were warm and comfortable and a hot shower folowed by a good meal restored our spirits in no time (a couple of beers didn't hurt either!)
Sarah & Chris have obviously refurbished the rooms recently and have big plans for the hotel in future. There's a really good atmosphere, with live music on a Saturday night and speciality menu evenings (tapas, steak etc.) throughout the week. Breakfast was plentiful, though a request for poached eggs seemed to cause some anguish in the kitchen. The waitresses Sophie and Tonni were helpful and attentive, and it was a much needed boost to an otherwise very wet weekend. We'd certainly stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank spindrift1
sassle, Owner at Newcastle House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Thank you for such a positive review I am so pleased you had a good stay with us and that you will reccommend us to others. We are delighted that you have commented as you have your own Bed and Breakfast which is highly commended, we must be doing something right. I look forward to seeing you again