“Lovely place to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
bournemouth
“Lovely place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We returned last weekend from a fantastic fortnight self-catering in the superb Northumberland village of Rothbury and so want to share our excellent experiences at the Sun Kitchen Cafe with other visitors coming as first-timers to the area. Having researched the various eating posssibilities beforehand and, having completed the 5 and a bit miles of the 'Above Rothbury' walk on our first day there, we decided to take a look at the various options and finally decided that the Sun Kitchen seemed to fit our needs at the time. I can honestly say that we weren't in any way disappointed. From the moment we arrived, it was warm and cosy and we were made to feel totally welcome. The menu is simple but the food excellent and the friendliness second to none. Main meals are freshly prepared, piping hot with ample portions and they're certainly good value. They also serve a delicious broth full of hearty, chunky vegetables - perfect for a cooler day - plus a good variety of sandwiches and plenty more besides. And don't start me on the cakes and desserts - to die for! There are four different flavours of scones to choose from - all freshly home-baked. Glorious homemade cakes too and the best ever lemon meringue tart and fruit pie or crumble. All are so scrumptious that it's almost impossible to know what you fancy most, believe me! And throughout a visit it's such a sociable little place plus nothing is too much trouble. We loved it so much that we popped in three times and were never disappointed. Why try anywhere else when you're so happily satisfied? We wish them well and long may they thrive and prosper.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank jolin35

morpeth
“A cafe I visit frequently.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Always a good experience to eat here. Lovely staff. Teacakes are tasty, coffee is fair to good, cakes enormous and the lunches look amazing. I live just a few miles away and it's my first choice café in Rothbury.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank carol b
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really good all round”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

As I live in Rothbury, I use the Sun Kitchen a lot and over the years have sampled pretty much everything they make, apart from the soup (only because I don't like soup in general!).

The tea-shop is attractively and interestingly decorated and is a pleasure to visit, as it's so very welcoming both to local customers and day-trippers.The menu is extensive and caters for both customers wanting a full meal and those who just want a sandwich or a cake as a tea-time treat.

I would specially recommend the cakes and pastries, all home-made and my favorites are always the apple pie and crumble, not to mention the carrot cake, washed down with their excellent coffee!
Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ian M
Wallsend, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Walking round Rothbury seeing what was on offer for lunch, this looked a nice homely place with a good specials list. I had a bacon and Brie panini whilst my friend had the roast beef in a large Yorkie followed by apple crumble. This was accompanied by a pot of tea with a jug of hot water. All was freshly prepared and service was very welcoming and pleasant. Must go again next time we are in town!

• Visited May 2014
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Wish we had just walked past!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

It was Easter Sunday and we wanted something just to keep us going. We had seen the other cafes and thought this looks good. I do not regard myself in any way a fussy eater but I struggled to find something that would wow me. L chose Soup - which was a broth and a sandwich. I hadn't realised that the ham was what I call plastic ham so that was the first upset my fault for that one. I did ask if I could have a tuna sandwich but that was going to make the sandwich a little bit more that the £5 special. for soup and sandwich. The soup arrived full of - carrots, onions and barley - not quiet veg soup though. The carrots tasted as if they had come out of a tin and there was just to much barley. The soup lacked flavour and adding salt and pepper did not make much difference. I did try to eat the sandwich but the ham is not for me, Way to much spread used on the bread so I couldn't eat just the bread.

My husband had a baked potato with cheese that came with a few crisps on the side.no salad and just warm. Overall very disappointing meal for us I love little cafes far more than the costa's or the starbucks. One that we won't be going back to £12.50 is not alot but when you leave starving it isn't good value.

• Visited April 2014