“Wedding Reception”
Review of Brinkburn Priory

Brinkburn Priory
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Rothbury
More attraction details
Owner description: The beautiful 12th century church of the Augustinian priory of Brinkburn survives completely roofed and restored. Picturesquely set by a bend in the River Coquet, it is reached by a scenic ten minute walk from the car park. Parts of the monastic buildings are incorporated into the elegant adjacent manor house. Brinkburn Priory's doors will be open to visitors from Wednesdays to Sundays and Bank Holidays from the 1 April - 30 September 2014. Don't Miss Scenic views of the river Coquet The wonderfully restored 12th century church The beautiful grounds and elegant manor house
Glasgow
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were invited to a evening wedding do at the Priory and I have to say I was most disappointed with it. The "bar" if you could call it that had hardly anything in stock, they had hardly any ice so most drinks were warm. The food at night was a hog roast but there was no option for vegetarian food. I did ask and the lady looked at me as if I was strange. The weather was awful (which is no fault of the priory of course) but because of the location it might things like shoes were completely ruined with mud. Not a good choice at all for a wedding if you ask me.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Hazel_Malcolm
MCFen, Partner at Brinkburn Priory, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
This site is for English Heritage reviews. We have passed you comments on and I am sure the wedding business will be in contact with you directly.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Rude "gentleman" in charge of the priory”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have just attended a magical wedding in the brinkburn cottages held over three days On Sunday morning three of us decided to have a look Inside the priory ,my daughter had paid £150to the national trust to have photographs taken inside of the priory.
When we were inside a very rude man told us that we weren't allowed in unless we paid...I explained that we were with the wedding party but it made no difference he said we should have come yesterday,were we to leave our guests?
I realize that the national trust needs lots of money for these buildings to survive and I am not averse to paying the normal entry fee ,but in this instance was it really necessary to be so rude .
As we felt his attitude was unnecessary we declined his offer to pay as we felt that £150 already paid was adequate enough for us to have a quick look around the place where my daughter had some of her photos taken.
Looks lovely from outside though and in a lovely setting ,shame about the rudeness !!!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank jeannette210352
Bradford, United Kingdom
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 211 helpful votes
“We absolutely loved this little place!!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We absolutely loved this little place!! I am sure it's often overlooked due to it's proximity to more well known and larger sites of historical interest. It's not a ruin as it was "restored" in antiquity using methods which we certainly wouldn't choose today, but it gives you a really good feel for what all those ruined abbeys and priories you've seen would have been like. We especially loved the manor house in the grounds, mainly because we'd love to live in it! It would be great if they could get the upstairs open again.

Visited October 2013
Elsdon, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice Day Out”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Although small Brinkburn has a magical feel! It's in a beautiful setting hidden next to the river, no wonder Henry VIII's men had trouble finding it!
Go on a hot sunny day and take a picnic......

Visited August 2013
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Priory and House”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Don't be deterred by road closed signs, the Priory is still open. Just wish there was the money to restore the House

Visited September 2013