“Lovely quite place.”

The Turks Head
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Rothbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Lovely quite place.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

As you walk in you sence the building age, it oozes character through its walls. Staff very friendly. Place is immaculate. Food is homemade and locally pruduce used. If your looking for a quite meal in the afternoon then this is the best place in Rothbury. Rothbury is a gem of a place, scenery is breathtaking. This town is a great place to base yourself if your wishing to stay and travel around Northumberland. As for the accommodation at the Turks Head, i can't comment as i was only passing through. But if the rooms are as good as the rest of the establishment i would be more than happy to stay for a min break.

2 Thank ColonelBlake
Debbie N, Owner at The Turks Head, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, i will pass your comments on to our staff who i know will be thrilled :)

Ayrshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad food, bad service, beautiful beer garden!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Turk's Head is located in the centre of the village and has long been a favourite watering hole with locals over the years. However it was recently taken over and refurbished, very tastefully and the beer garden is by far the best - even if some of the kid's toys are broken!

Unfortunately the food is diabolical. Our bread was still frozen in the middle, mutton is passed off as spring lamb (I have been farming for over 30 years and I know mutton when I see it!), the chicken burger was so thick with congealed grease I suspect it was deep fried and the service - well let's just say it is very, very slow.

I would love to see this pub in the hands of a proper landlord because I get the impression that it; is more of a hobby. Would have given it 1 start but the beer garden is exceptionals so it only gets a "poor" and not a "terrible".

• Visited July 2014
Hi Bernie G
Thanks for the feedback Bernie G, I see you're local therefor you probably know me, I've asked around and no once seems to know a local farmer by the name of Bernie. I also see you have never left any other reviews ever so can only assume you are not a fan of the pub. I'd be more than happy if you'd like to pop in and have a chat sometime and i'll happy show you where our lamb was bought from (directly from a local farm - where I know and trust the farmer) most of our meat comes from our very own local butcher, or local farm, once again who i'm sure you know. Both have excellent reputations.
Hopefully Bernie you'll pop in for a pint, please say hello i'd really like to get to the bottom of this one, it's bit of a mystery to me- and i'll like to assure you we do not pass off mutton as lamb.
“Food a really mixed bag but was at a budget price”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Visited as a family of 5. For Starters we had Haggis Boules, Garlic Bread and Garlic Mushrooms. The food arrived quickly and was good. The garlic mushrooms were in a rich garlic sauce and the Garlic bread was thickly coated in melted cheese. The Haggis Boules were nicely flavoured.

The main course was where things went downhill. The pork loin was tasty and with a nice wide selection of vegetables all cooked well, as was the three sausages in onion gravy. Both enjoyable meals. The fish cake was a let down being mostly potato and in much need of more fish. The ploughmans was very disappointing. No selection of cheeses visible. Just some crisps, a bit of salad, a small white baguette filled with pickle and a tiny amount of cheese grated in with the pickle. The main course took some time to arrive too.

From the childrens menu it was ham and tomato meatballs on spaghetti. Which was nice.

There is a fenced off play area with lots of toys to keep young children occupied.

It should be noted that we got 3 starters, 4 mains, 1 childs meal plus all drinks all for just over £50. So quite good value for money. A selection of cheese portions for the ploughmans and more fish in fish cake would have allowed me to score higher.

1 Thank Paul-Lincoln-uk
Hi
Thank you for leaving us a review, Were delighted that you enjoys you meals for the most part and please you feel we proved great value for money.
we have looked at our fishcakes, which are made in house, I can only assume this was a one off as they are hugely popular and I regularly choose them myself, but we have made a note of this and attention will be paid. Please you enjoyed the rest of your meal, we are also working on a new menu with our new head chef so do hope you return in the future :)
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Looks nice from outside but don't bother.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Family of 4, we at outside which didn't look too bad probably recently upgraded but the enclosed play area has lots of broken plastic toys & broken storage door, kids could easily cut themselves. Food took ages after being told I couldn't have a tab as I was outside, you have to walk thru the pub to leave anyway. When it arrived it looked v unappetising the chicken in the burger had been battered & dripped grease! The gammon & egg looked like it had been thrown on the plate. The chops were door stops size & raw in middle. Sausage & mash well more like chewy & hard the mash wasn't mashed at all & slightly crushed, the sausage were over powerfully flavoured & chewy, all the food was not v warm. The only ediblemeal was the pasta /meatballs. All topped off with poor service. Find somewhere else to spend your money.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mamacg1
HI
Thanks for leaving us your feedback, I can only apologies for the poor experience. Firstly we don't allow an open food/drinks tab as the garden is huge and very busy - it's not visible by the bar or staff at all times and has a gate which has allowed customers in the past t leave without paying their tab. With regards to the food and service we have had a very busy summer and, i dearly hope you brought this up at the time of your visit with our duty manager, however this has not been reported back to me, but we have made a note of this and attention will be paid, we are also working on a new menu with our new head chef so do hope you return in the future :)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely evening meal on a busy night”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family and I foolishly decided to go out for a pub meal on the night of the annual Rothbury music festival the pub was flooded with musicians and crowds coming for post-event drinks and meals, yet this made for a really enjoyable evening...we sat in the huge (and well maintained) beer garden initially and moved inside to eat. despite the busyness of the pub the staff remained friendly and unfrazzled, our food arrived speedily and was delicious, hearty portions and great traditional menu (I had pork lion with apple, black pudding and veg, yum!) musicians took out their instruments and filled the pub with lively, traditional music while supping pints. This pub was warm and welcoming and the timing of our visit with the local music event only served to enrich the experience.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Megan B
Debbie N, Owner at The Turks Head, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, hopefully we will see you again :)