“Very Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 12 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Durham
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in the luxury room on the top floor. Very comfortable bed and modern contempary style bathroom. However it was the little touches that made it special, for examaple the glass of bucks fizz and hot towel on arrival to the fresh fruit and flapjacks in the room. The staff are very welcoming and friendly and a special mention to Audrey, who is fantastic and nothing is to much trouble. Lovely breakfasts in a wonderful house. Will definatly stay again at Orchard House next in Northumbria.

2 Thank BridgetDurham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Having just read the above review I felt I had to comment on my stay. We had a wonderful and delightful stay at Orchard House, Both the host Graham, and his team of staff were more than helpful, we found them all to be extremely warm and friendly.The room we stayed in on the top floor was lovely, and certainly didn't have any problems with the bed or mattress. The staff were very courteous and friendly and constantly asked if there was anything else we needed, and if so we only had to ask. Our breakfast was lovely with no complaints. Had I read the above review before booking i would, perhaps, have booked elsewhere, thankfully all the reviews I read were positive. Personally, I thought the bucks fizz, hot towels and nibbles were a really lovely personal touch. I would recommend Orchard House to anyone. I'm sure had we had any complaints, then we could have raised them with the Housekeeper, who I was led to believe is in charge when the owner is away. Personally, for me whether the owner was there or not was neither here nor there, as long as the service was as good, which it was, in my opinion as long as the housekeeper is able to resolve any issues then I don't think there is any problem. I have not stayed in many hotels/guesthouses where the owner is there every breakfast time.
This is just based on my personal experience, but as the saying goes "You can't please everyone all of the time". If you book you can make your own mind up but I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mol01_12
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

thanks to everyone at orchard house , from the moment we arrived we were greeted with hot towels and bucks fizz, we had a double room which was lovely and comfortable,the staff were so friendly and breakfast was fantastic, only sorry we had only one night will definately be back, once again thanks to graham and his staff

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Audrey B
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

My wife and I loved the Orchard house when we first stayed there, en route to the highlands of Scotland.
So when another Scottish holiday was on the cards we determined to stay there twice - on the way up and on the way back, despite actually wanting to take an alternative route home.
Can a hotel be worth a detour of almost a hundred miles? This one can.
Everything is perfect - from your welcoming Buck's Fizz to the immaculate rooms to a world class breakfast to get you on your way the next day.
It isn't cheap but it is outstanding value.
I plan to return at every appropriate opportunity, and some that aren't that appropriate, too

Room Tip: They are all good yet all different, so browse carefully. The suites are brilliant if you can stretc...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike W
Midlands Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

On arrival we were greeted by the host Graham who showed us to our room, a standard double on the top floor. The room was ok with a clean modern shower room.
This was the only time the host had any contact with us as he was not around to tend to us the next morning at breakfast. Instead several staff served a very poor breakfast of cold barely toasted toast with minimal butter/jam and hard poached eggs with horrible vegetarian sausages made with what seemed to be millet! The staff themselves lacked any warmth or charisma and showed little interest in the guests and their requirements, everything had to be prompted for.
I believe it is imperative for the host to be present at breakfast and during the morning to ensure the guests are being well catered for and happy with all aspects of their stay. Unfortunately as this was not so for us, we were unable to discuss with the host the issue of our terrible nights sleep caused by a bed/mattress with appalling roll-together and feet higher than our head. Coupled with the poor breakfast and service, we had no method of complaint or resolution.
It does appear the host has little interest in his guests or their welfare once he has completed his showy and pointless hot towels and bucks fizz routine.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NeilRmidlandsuk
grahamst, Manager at The Orchard House, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast and that it was not up to our usual high standard on this occassion. We do try hard with our soya veggie sausages to purchase the best available although I have to say they are no match to our ginger and spring onion sausages. We will certainly take a look at our vegeterian options when we carry out our next menu review.There is however no excuse for badly cooked food and again I apologise for this but wish to assure this was a one off and we will strive hard to ensure this is not repeated. In regards to your comments re the bed this is slightly different and whilst I appreciate this is an honest review and for you the bed was not comfortable, an element of personal preference does come into this. We do need to consider the opinions of vast majority of guests who stay with us and talk to us on departure, many who complete reviews through this site, late rooms, eviivo and bookings.com in addition to the views of the AA Inspector who tests the beds and the overwhelming opinion is that they are very comfortable. Perhaps you are used to a harder/softer bed or indeed perhaps a larger bed as our standard room has a double, whilst our premier rooms have kings and superkings.I can only apologise that you did not have a comfortable nights sleep.
In regard to the hours our staff are on duty this seems a rather unusual complaint. There is always a Housekeeper on duty for breakfast and arrivals, in your case you were met by our owner Graham, he was then away the following day overseas on holiday and I was around myself on duty in the morning. Under normal circumstances the property is run on a daily operational basis by myself and the staff not the owner ( although he is always happy to speak with guests if he is around)
There is a hotline phone for any queries during the night hours which connects to who ever is covering the night and I understand this was expalined to you on check in. I apologise you felt there was no one you could speak to and whilst I appreciate your visit was very short arriving in the afternoon and leaving after breakfast the next morning I am not sure why you would have felt this.

We serve bucks fizz on arrival to all our guest, including those on agency discounted rates and am sorry that you feel this 'unnecessary' we are always happy to provide tea/coffee or a soft drink if preferred.

Thank you again for sharing your views and sincerest apologise that your stay did not live up to your expectations.
Tarporley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

A nice place to stay if you are wanting a few days in the Rothbury area. We originally booked a double but were offered an upgrade to one of the suites for an additional reasonable charge. This was well worth it as the suite was really nice. A large bed (bigger than king size) and a separate lounge with two settee's, flat screen TV and DVD player.
The owner was very attentive and concerned everything was to our liking. he even turned out at 10pm when i locked us out of one of the rooms.
Breakfasts were good with local produce although I had stayed here in 2007 and found the choice then was greater - perhaps the impact of the recession?

1 Thank ILStourton
wilmslow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Orchard House is undoubtedly a charming, delightful place to be. We enjoyed 2 nights there in July, but it felt like 4 such was the tranqulity of the place. Met with a glass of Bucks Fizz by Marlene, we were shown to the Red Suite. As we booked last minute we had to change rooms to the Blue Room for night 2. Both rooms were fabulous and I would recommend either, but I have to say the Red Suite had the edge. A whopping, comfy bed, a fabulously HUGE bathtub and a wonderful sitting room views of the beautiful tree lined street. In fact, we loved it so much we elected to stay in and enjoy a take away from a lovely Italian. We ate at our little romantic dining table set for two and spent the rest of the evening listening to clasical music on the Bose stereo on our comfy squashy sofas which we had all to ourselves in our suite - yes, ALL to ourselves.

It was refreshing not to be faced with the usual "buffet" style breakfast. Instead we choose from a selection of delicious breakfast treats, such as a mango and passion fruit smoothie, scrambled eggs with local smoked salmon on Brioche or porridge with cream and banana. My husband went down the tradtional English breakfast route and I have to say despite not being much of a meat eater, I was a little jealous!

The staff and Graham, the host were charming, helpful and friendly. If I had any criticism it would be that we would have liked some different toast at breakfast...maybe rye bread or spelt, but then we are bread freaks! All in all, we can't wait to return to this charming house which is in the perfect location to enable you to park the car and enjoy the delightful town of Rothbury and it's amazing neighbouring countryside. By the way- eat lunch at The Congregational - they have a delicious original menu.

Room Tip: The Red Room was fantastic. Blue Room excellent. Both had lovely views.
2 Thank judy11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
#4 of 12 in Rothbury
Tosson Tower Farm
Tosson Tower Farm
#2 of 12 in Rothbury

Been to The Orchard House? Share your experiences!