“Afternoon tea”

The Coquetvale Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Went to this hotel for afternoon tea (with fizz) on Saturday 26/04/14 through a Groupon deal for £19. The food was nice although it stated that it would be a selection of 'finger sandwiches' which turned out to be very tasy 'doorstop' sandwiches. The selection of cakes were nice along with a rather large quantity of very hot / strong coffee. However the cream tea was spoilt by the cheap, rather runny and funny tasting cream and margarine type spread for our fruit scones. I had to scrape it off the scone in order to eat them and as with other afteernoon teas I have had, the cream should have been 'clotted cream'. Other than that the food and 'FIZZ' were good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheCoquetvale, Owner at The Coquetvale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi Powbug

Glad that you took the time to send this review.

So sorry to hear all the good things were ruined by the substandard fresh cream. I have passed your comments onto the kitchen team and they are going to look into this. We would certainly like to put this right, therefore we will honour the price you paid if you would like to come back, and have another afternoon tea.

If this is something you are interested in then please contact me direct on lee@coquetvale.co.uk

Best regards

Reviewed 29 April 2014

You MUST go to this hotel - we loved everything about it and will definitely return. Comfy bed, nice decor, great staff, quiet and relaxing.....need I say more?? The ONLY issue was my fault - I booked twice for the same night and missed out on staying a second night because by the time we'd realised, all the rooms had been taken :(

Hi Neil

It is great to hear everything about your stay was A-MAZ-ING. We certainly aim to please and its always a boost for the staff to get reviews like this.

If you are looking at revisiting then please sign up to our newsletter or Twitter & Facebook for our latest offers and events.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the coquetvale hotel. It's right near the river and there's a play park at one end. The shops are quaint and everyone was very friendly. The hotel was nice and our room was clean. The staff where friendly however the dining room was a bit dusty and could of done with a clean. The breakfast was nice although I wasn't sure about the award winning sausages!!! Nearby is alnwick castle and gardens which we visited and the waterfalls are a beautiful site. Would return if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Beany25

Hi Beany

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, it all helps.

I'm am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I have passed your comments regarding the dust to out housekeeper. This is something she is always very attentive with, so I'm sure it was just a one off.

We hope to see you in Rothbury again soon. If you do find the opportunity please sign up to our newsletter for our latest offers and events.

Take care.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Booked to stay at the hotel after reading positive reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointed. The room was large and comfortable with free wifi and good tv reception.

We were greeted each morning by a friendly member of staff (female) who allowed us to amend the cooked breakfast options to suit our own tastes. Good variety of breakfast options available, food we ate was also nice.

Very good value for money!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlotte S

Dear Charlotte

It is great to hear you had a good stay at the hotel, and everything was to your liking. I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast offering. Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to receive our direct latest offers and what's going on. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for a two day Easter break and I have to say we had a really nice stay. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and it has improved since the new management have taken it over. We were greeted by the deputy manager (sorry forgot her name) what a really nice lady. Pleasant and very accommodating.

We booked an attic room which was nicely decorated and comfortable. Last time we stayed our room did not have a shower only a bath so it was nice to have an on suite with a shower. One suggestion I would make for the attic rooms is to perhaps put a king-size bed in rather than a double, but that's only my preference as I have a king size at home and like the space.

We did not eat in the hotel as when we phoned up before our stay and were told they did not know if the restaurant would be open. I had booked other restaurants as it was the Easter weekend and I did not want to chance not getting some where to eat. We did have a drink in the bar later on that night when we heard a guest complaining about the service and food in the restaurant. Fair enough if you do not agree with the service, but to then go on to say that the owner was not around and he should be to hear complaints and that he probably will be in his big posh house with his big car outside the door, I felt to be totally out of order. The deputy manager handled the situation very well I thought and was pleasant throughout when dealing with this guest. Some people are never satisfied and will find anything to complain about.

The hotel was only taken over in November last year and is at present undergoing a refurbishment so come on give it a chance.

We did meet Gary the owner on the second night and I must say he was pleasant and chatty with my partner and I. I wish him every success with the hotel and we will definitely be returning.

Oh and by the way Gary the owner only lives in a small one bedroom flat….

Dear Spencer

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay.

I think the manager you are speaking about on check in was Lynda. We aim to keep everyone happy, and it was myself you were speaking to that evening it was pleasure. The majority of the guests we have through are very happy with what they get, however we always take any criticism constructively to make the guest experience better. And just to let you know I am writing this review from the flat in the hotel....

Take care and see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I planned this Easter Break for my husbands birthday present. We had planned to go to Alnwick but where we wanted to stay was fully booked. The Coquetvale Hotel popped up on a few sites so it had stuck in my head. I booked for 2 night stay and nearer the date I added an extra night. Having had our stay I have to say that Rothbury and the Coquetvale Hotel gave us exactly what we wanted. Peace, tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.

We can see that the hotel is in the middle of refurbishment and what an amazing place this will be when finished. We were in room 5 which I would say has not yet been done. Whilst the room was ok the bathroom does need a overall. The Tv could do with being just a bit bigger for the size of the room it was a little small. We had asked for a double but got a twin. We were told that this was not a problem as Housekeeping would change to a double later. No one came so we just swapped the bedside table and did it ourselves.

We ate in Italia and the food was so good and very well priced. Breakfast was excellent one of the best we have ever had. Loved the sausages. Had the Sunday Roast which was superb Beef was so tender and the amount was great value. Everything was just what we wanted and more. What great people and nothing is to much. Would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs to climb, I did find it quiet a challenge, it was easier to go up to the b...

Dear Elaine

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

So glad you could see the potential we saw. It may be a small hotel, but we are trying to refurbish the hotel in a priority stage. We have completed the majority of the rooms and hotel public areas, however we still have a few to go. The restaurant and bar will be completed in the beginning of 2015, and the outside areas will be completed imminently.

With regards to the restaurant we are so glad you enjoyed it.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, don't forget to sign up to our newsletter for our latest offers.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent staff, Very clean and comfortable rooms. This hotel has recently been refurbished to a very nice standard. Breakfast first class.
Would recommend this hotel, great value for money.
Lovely walks nearby and plenty of interesting places to visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TheCoquetvale, Owner at The Coquetvale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thanks you so much for taking the time to respond. We are certainly trying to make the hotel as comfortable as possible for our guests. So its always pleasing when people notice.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Doxford Hall Hotel
#3 of 4 in Chatton
Newcastle House Hotel
Newcastle House Hotel
#5 of 11 in Rothbury

Been to The Coquetvale Hotel? Share your experiences!