All reviewsvoucher dealpienext morningan overnight staynice atmospherestayed one nightroom was spotlessthe pubtop floorfish and chipsan evening mealsalmonnice stayate heresense of humourdining roomon arrival
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but were in a cottage just over the road but we ate at the hotel and went for drinks a few times and were very pleased with it. The food was typical pub grub but very nice and the drinks were also good with some nice real ales. The service was very friendly and pretty quick. The atmosphere was very much old world pub very cosy and friendly and if we visit Rothbury again we will return

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent two nights at the Queens Head, and ate dinner on both evenings; there actually being very little choice in Rothbury itself, other than a number of pubs, none of which looked especially appealing. Rothbury is a pretty small village, with a few shops of interest to the tourist.

Our room was fine, quite clean and comfortable, and of a reasonable size, with a small ensuite bathroom. Even though we overlooked the main road it was quiet, there being almost no traffic at night. The room (and the hotel generally) was a bit tired, and could do with some redecoration and refurbishment.

The hotel is very well situated, just 5 minutes drive from the NT Cragside House which, with nearby Alnwick Castle, were the main reasons for our stay.

Breakfast was classic English, of good quality and quantity. There was no continental breakfast choice, though this was not an issue for us.

Dinner is regular 'pub grub'; the menu is not very ambitious and most of the options are heavyweight classics. Food quality I would judge as average, it certainly would not be a reason to visit the hotel a second time. That said, other restaurant options in Rothbury looked to be very limited.

Live music (good) was provided on our second evening; the hotel was packed with people coming to listen.

The bar had quite a good feel about it, though the range of real beers was very limited. Wine by the glass was all from a pump - horrible, and expensive.

The staff, bar one of the bar staff, were all very friendly and helpful.

Our room rate (£80 B&B) I judge to rather poor value, we subsequently found much better accommodation in Northumberland at much the same price.

If you want to visit nearby Cragside House and/or Alnwick, then the Queens Head worth a look, otherwise I would give it a miss.

1  Thank Colin_JS
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Hello Colin,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, an interesting read, nearly a novel actually.....
I am surprised you found 4 real ales on a small bar limited? The wine is served from sealed 10ltr boxes through a font which is much fresher than serving by the glass from bottles, we have tried both over the years. We sell 60 litres a week and I enjoy the sauvignon blanc myself so obviously dont think its horrible, (although I do prefer a bottle of chablis from our wine list) and is what equates to £13.80 a bottle in a bar expensive.

I realise that individual opinions are just that, and we will endeavour to raise our game to come closer to our guests expectations.

As you said you would give us a miss I am assuming you do not want me to let you know of any offers we do.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night. This hotel could do with redecoration. Our room was on the top floor. It was small and cluttered. There was a separate bathroom and shower room which was fine. The bedding and towels were pristine. We ate in the hotel in the evening and the meal was good as was our breakfast in the morning. The staff were friendly and helpful. We paid on line a month before we went and were presented with an invoice on leaving. Lack of communication somewhere!!!! Not somewhere I would chose to stay again and a bit overpriced too.

1  Thank Tricia R
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Hello Patricia,
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.
I apologise about being presented with a bill when you actually paid online, this very rarely happens and is usually because the person making out the bills does not read the booking properly. Thank you for letting me know I noted you stayed on Saturday 31st so will be taking up this matter with the person on duty. I was pleased to note you enjoyed the food and the staff where pleasant and your room was spotless, if a little small. We do have larger rooms which had been allocated to people staying 3 and 4 nights. As to the price, I do offer good deals to returning guests who book direct.

And lastly to the decoration, its ongoing, all the time, it never ends.......

Reviewed 29 August 2013

A stay over the Bank Holiday was our 2nd stay of the year. We have been in rooms 15 & 16, both attractively decorated. Room 16 could be improved by having bedside lamps on both sides of the bed that gave sufficient light to read by, but other than that the rooms are very good.

Restaurant is generally good, serving pub food standards (scampi, pie, fish and chips) and up (nice sea bream with ginger stir fry vegetables). Some other higher-end dishes appear a little over-priced to me. Restaurant busy Bank Holiday Sunday evening, however over the course of the evening the 2 waitresses gave one of the most impressive displays of service I have seen, Service with a smile, friendly and courteous throughout, letting you know they hadn't forgotten you if they felt you had been waiting longer than expected, although through their sheer hard work this wasn't really the case.

Good breakfast choice.

All in all would recommend the Queens as a good comfortable place to stay, with friendly staff, good food and in a good location for walking in the Coquet Valley

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Hello,

Thank you so much for leaving us a review, I am delighted that you appreciated the hard work the staff put in to make your dining experience enjoyable. I will pass on your comments.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights staff are very friendly Chris the owner is a really good host and his staff are very polite ate both nights in the restaurant which was very enjoyable and the food to die for The room was very clean the only thing was we found it to be very stuff on the night time but couldn't open the window we will stay at this place again. Visited Craigside well worth the visit. Thanks to Chris and his staff for making our weekend

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
missytiger, Owner at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Hello Liz,

Thanks for leaving a review, I see its your first so double thanks, Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much you would come again. Sorry you could not open the window, they all open so will look into that.