“A PLACE WHERE THE 'SPECIAL' COMES AS STANDARD.”
Review of Foxholm B&B

Foxholm B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Sawdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Returning to the area where I had previously lived to re-visit old haunts, catch up with friends and also introduce a new friend to an area where I had spent some happy years, I booked again at Foxholm, where I had previously stayed some six years ago. Although under new ownership, we were not disappointed, and the accommodation, service and attention to detail were second to none. Stuart and Rita welcomed us on arrival and did their utmost to make our stay very enjoyable in a quiet and friendly manner. The accommodation is enhanced by having the use of a guest lounge in which to relax and also, as the weather was superb during our stay, we were able to enjoy the very peaceful garden. The use of a fridge in the guest lounge was also much appreciated.

Breakfast was served in the conservatory and, as well as the full English breakfast, there was plenty of choice, including fruit freshly picked from the garden to accompany our cereal.

We returned home feeling relaxed and definitely wanting to return in the not too distant future. Truly holiday accommodation where the 'special' comes as standard!

Room Tip: All rooms excellent. We had a room overlooking the garden which had the early morning sun and was t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
foxholmsawdon, Owner at Foxholm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and delighted you found Foxholm a relaxing place to stay. Many guests enjoy the use guest lounge and appreciate the use of a fridge to keep food or drinks cold and fresh.

I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfasts with our fresh fruit which comes from the garden whenever possible. Rita was very appreciative of your comments about her pastry after your second evening meal with us.

It was lovely to meet you both and we hope you will come back soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at Foxholm B&B as attending a wedding ceremony at The Anvil across the road.
Stuart welcomed my husband, mother in law and myself with a welcome tea and lemon cake,delicious.Both rooms were perfect with hot drink facility, lovely bathrooms, tv and comfortable beds. A relaxing lounge with tv, fridge and local information on hand, had views out to the lovely garden- hope the poppy seed heads we brought home, take! Breakfast was taken in a beautiful conservatory, the quality food cooked to our liking and a good selection available.
We will definitely be back and recommend this place to everyone.
The Anvil across the road had excellent food, too.

Room Tip: All three rooms are excellent, comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
foxholmsawdon, Owner at Foxholm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

It is so kind of you to take the time to write such lovely review of your stay here. I am pleased that everything was to your liking. I hope you will come back for another visit soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We wanted to visit the RSPB reserve at Bempton Cliffs to photograph the Gannets, but didn't want to be in a busy resort.
Google found Foxholm in Sawdon for me, just 21 miles from Bempton Cliffs on a good road, so we booked three nights.
Arriving in the afternoon we were welcomed by Stuart and Rita into a very pretty home, shown to our room and offered coffee to refresh us after our journey, which was very welcome.
Stuart offered to help us in with our luggage which was a nice touch, before he headed off to get our coffee. It came with delicious home made cake - bang goes the diet.

The room was spacious and the ensuite shower room was roomy and well equipped. Soaps and shower gel were available and were good quality and the towels were a generous size and lovely and thick.

We managed to cram a lot into our four days with visits to Pickering, Scarborough, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, Filey, Whitby and a ride on the North York moors railway to Goatland and Grosmont, and each time we returned to Foxholm we were offered refreshments, even though the rooms had coffee and tea making facilities. Those little touches make all the difference.

Bempton Cliffs were superb, I took over 900 photographs and I'd highly recommend a visit - £5 to park all day is all it costs.

We also managed a walk through the woods at Sawdon, I was bemused that all the signposts, and there were a goodly number simply pointed and had 'footpath' or 'bridleway' etched on without actually saying footpath to where so it's a bit of a guessing game.

I admit I found the 'African theme' a bit strange but reading back I see that Rita and Stuart 'inherited' that when they bought the business.

Lots of good places to eat nearby, you would never starve in Yorkshire, and lots of places to visit within easy reach of Sawdon.
A perfect break and one we will likely be repeating in the not to distant future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JANDT T

Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay here. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and it just shows a small selection of the attractions which are within easy reach of us.

I must also thank you for the photographs you have sent me of your visit to the area. They are simply stunning. They will go on the website and I can't wait to have a few of them printed to display on the wall.

I will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had two perfect nights...a very comfortable bed, good size room with ensuite bathroom and hearty full English breakfasts. Stuart and Rita were the perfect hosts and anticipated all our needs which together with the easy parking and picturesque garden made Foxholm a liitle piece of heaven.
Following the first night we had a trip down memory lane into Scarborough and walked the length of the North Bay into the South Bay before climbing up to the castle and down again.
Then we parked on the South Cliff overlooking the sea before setting off on the coastal path for Filey. A bit up and down but the sea is in view the whole time making it all worthwhile.Having done all that we had a two hours walk thru the woodlands surrounding Foxholm before finishing off the day with a visit to the Anvil pub across the road...no driving, terrific menu and good company.
A visit to Castle Howard on the way to Foxholm and a visit to York on the way home made for a super weekend. So much more in the area too so we will be back!

Room Tip: Stuart showed us all the rooms and they were all to the high standard we experienced in the room ove...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Next time you come you will have to call at the butchers to pick up some of the ingredients you enjoyed so much at breakfast.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had a last minute break to Foxholm bed and breakfast and we will be returning. We were warmly greeted by Stuart and Mrs Benson, shown to our beautiful light and airy room and were shown the facilities. We were offered delicious cake and fresh coffee, which was a welcome treat after the journey.
Our room overlooked the courtyard at the front of the property and was of very high standard. It was Immaculate and well presented, with tea and coffee facilities, with fresh milk situated in the fridge in the guest sitting room!
After a great nights sleep and lovely hot shower we had full English breakfast, which was freshly made and extremely tastey and had local fresh produce.
It's fair to say we had a wonderful time and will be returning soon.

• Stayed: June 2014
foxholmsawdon, Owner at Foxholm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words. It is always pleasing when people enjoy their stay with us. We are really pleased you enjoyed the cake as it was a new recipe we were trying. Our aim is for people to feel at home and not in a standard hotel so it is always encouraging when people want to return.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We needed to find somewhere to stay near Whitby in Yorkshire and we found a delightful B&B run by a son and his mother. We arrived at 3.30 in the afternoon and were offered tea and homemade cake after being shown to our room. We were booked into the Anvil pub across the road for dinner which was excellent. After a restful night we had a fantastic breakfast in the conservatory, full Yorkshire for my husband and scrambled egg and salmon for me.
5 star treatment all round. Would recommend Foxholm to all my friends.

Room Tip: I like to have a bath at the end of a long trip so we booked the largest room with shower and bath...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
foxholmsawdon, Owner at Foxholm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are always pleased when people enjoy their stay. It was a pleasure to meet you both and hope you will come and stay longer if you are back in the area.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our first visit to Foxholm, and I hope it won't be our last. We had a really fantastic stay. What a lovely welcome from the new owner, we would never have guessed he was new to the business. Our room was spotless and the bed was really comfortable with a view over the beautiful garden. Our room had a bath which was welcome after being out in the rain, and the shower was really powerful and hot also. Tea and home made cake available in the afternoon in the guest lounge was a nice touch not to mention very tasty.
Breakfast was delicious, I had scrambled egg with smoked salmon, and my husband has full English, all made with fresh locally sourced ingredients, and plenty of toast with honey from two doors down, couldn't fault it.
Location is great for the coast and the moors with some great walks straight from the B&B, and the pub across the road serves great food and good guest beers.
We will definately be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosie b
foxholmsawdon, Owner at Foxholm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to write your review. I am pleased you had such a wonderful time at Foxholm. It is always good when our efforts are appreciated as we try to welcome all guests to our home as old friends so we can make their time away special. It was lovely to meet you both and we would be pleased to have you back anytime.

Been to Foxholm B&B? Share your experiences!