......and we fully endorse it, but rather than repeat it we hope to add one of two pointers to help future guests. Big hotel people won't want to stay at Rock Haven, but it is an excellent choice for those who want something different. The welcome doesn't even flag if one's flight arrives 2 hours late, with Judith having stood outside Arrivals for the whole time waiting.
The Blake name, both Dr Keith's and Judith's, still carries weight in St Kitts. This was illustrated by the fact that Dr Keith dropped us at 'Cathy's' (on Timothy Beach) when we needed a snack to keep us going after a delayed arrival from the UK. He insisted that the staff there should call a taxi whose driver knew where Rock Haven is; when one particular taxi driver turned out not to be available the proprietor ran us back himself (and kindly delivered the next day the spectacles dropped in his car).
In fact Rock Haven isn't nearly as difficult to find as the Blakes think it is. If coming from Basseterre there is a gentle hill upwards from the Central Bank of the Eastern Caribbean. At the top of the hill there is a big hoarding on the left hand side of the road. Turn left here, then second left, first left and go on to the last house. (Coming from Frigate Beach it's a right turn at the top of the hill after the third roundabout).
If you are at Rock Haven for any length of time you will need a car. We would happily have used Judith's local contact, but for the fact that we needed to pick up the car on a Sunday. Hertz has a small office in the Marriott Resort (which can be seen from Rock Haven) which opens every day.
The view was wonderful, the breakfasts wonderful, the Blakes were as helpful as everyone says. The inclusion of laundry service is obviously helpful. The only improvement that we can suggest would be to provide tea and coffee makings in the Garden Suite (which counter-intuitively is the room upstairs in the main house) to be more independent than accepting the offer of using the kitchen.
We would unhesitatingly recommend Rock Haven to any reader who likes staying in B&Bs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast receives ongoing accolades for its stunning traditional Caribbean beauty and graciousness. Creative architectural and design fusion superbly blends the expansive flow of a Great House with contemporary touches like vibrant fuchsia walls and a modern, over-sized kitchen. Guests welcome the warmth of this tranquil, serene, majestic home as the perfect setting to enjoy the sumptuous and exquisite breakfasts of owner Judith Blake, whose hospitality and cooking exceed all expectations! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rock Haven Hotel South Coast
- Rock Haven Bed And Breakfast
- Rock Haven Bed & Breakfast St. Kitts, St. Kitts And Nevis