We stayed at Sugar Bay Club for one week. The positives are that the hotel is in a great location relative to the beach bars on the caribbean side. It was about a 10 minute walk to them. In addition, it is also close to several other eating establishments and the Mariott hotel. The Mariott has a small store, several bars and a casino. It was about a 10 minute walk. The beach at sugar bay club is on the atlantic side. There were a couple of chairs, but some were broken. There was never more than 5 people walking on the beach.
The rooms were a little run-down inside and could use some updating. However, it was cleaned everyday. The AC worked well as did the fridge. TV conisted of CNN, nbc, cbs, discovery, hbo and couple of religious channels. (and tourist tv). The pools were open from 930am to 6pm. They were well maintained. The only restaruant was a steak place. We did not see any bar or other restaruants open so we had to eat and get drinks elsewhere.
The complex was very quiet. The taxi driver informed us that many students from the local university live there and that he did not even know it was still a hotel. He said that it had shut down from some time and must have recently reopened.
St. Kitts is an interesting island. We rented a car from thrifty for the week and drove around the island. Brimstone Hill Fort was very interesting and well kept. My wife enjoyed going to Romney Manor, and walking around Ottley's Plantation. We also drove to the southern end of the island and saw many wild monkeys and some awesome secluded beaches. There are plans for major develpment of the southern end so the nature aspect will be ruined in the future.
Finally, we hiked to the top of Mt. Liamiuga, the large volcano on the northern part of the island. We went with Royston Stevens. We took a jeep up to about 1000 feet and then hiked up some very difficult terrain to about 3000 feet. We were able to get some great views from the rim of the volcano. I would highly recommend him as a guide.
The only real negative about the island in general was food prices, which seemed to be about 2x what we are used to in the US for the same quality. The Dominican Republic was cheaper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Bay Club Hotel is located in the lively Frigate Bay area of St. Kitts and our property is set amidst five acres of beautifully landscaped gardens on the Atlantic Ocean. We offer four restaurants on property, a duty free liquor store, a souvenir shop, an Express Mart and two fresh water swimming pools. Our St. Kitts Hotel is perfect for a relaxing tropical vacation. The Sugar Bay Club Hotel has eighty-nine rooms and suites. We offer amenities such as complimentary wireless internet access, air conditioning, cable TV, telephone, hairdryers, refrigerators, microwaves, tea/coffee making facilities, kitchenettes and private patio or balcony. Choose your view of the Atlantic Ocean, our vibrant garden or one of our two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sugar Bay Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Bay Club Hotel Frigate Bay
- Sugar Bay Club St. Kitts, St. Kitts And Nevis