My husband and I stayed at SBC from April 8 to 15. I have one word to say, it was amazing. We had read all the reviews and were a little nervous. But, as seasoned travellers we did not let it bother us. We have stayed at a variety of resorts, the Riu resorts (Jamaica and Cancun), Superclubs (Jamaica and Curaco) as well as several reosrts in St. Martin and Cuba so we know what to expect from resorts.
Arriving in St. Kitts airport is even a great experience. The people on this island are top notch, they are so friendly. They do not have the huge buses here, they transport you in a van, so once the van is full you leave - no waiting for the slower people!
The hotel is about a 5 min drive from the airport with wonderful view of the ocean along the way.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were checked in right away, but told that since our flight was early, our room was not quite ready, would we like to get lunch or wait. We decided to wait since we saw Jason coming with a tray of ice cold drinks. We ended up waiting about 3 min and they said our room was ready and they acutally showed us to our room, gave us a mini tour of the resort along the way and showed us how to use everything in our room.
NOTE: the only rooms on the resort with in-room safes are the poolside cottages but they do have a safe at the front desk - we kept our stuff there with no problems.
We stayed in a gardenview room (Room 225) and due to the location of our room, we could see the ocean (score!) We fed the little birds on our balcony every morning and we even saw a mongoose run across the lawn - I wouldn't worry about them during the day or night my husband and I were up every morning about 5:30 - 6:00 so it was early when we saw it. Our room was huge, massive! And the beds are so so comfortable that I acutally took the sheets off to see what kind of mattress it was. - Serta
The food is so so good. They had soup at every lunch and dinner, they did not reheat anything for the next day. We had lamb, beef, pork, shrimp. You name we had it. The lunch buffet also had a menu you could order from - I would highly suggest the bugers, they are so good. Fresh fruit and juice at breakfast. And my favorite was the drinking water - I must have drank 2 or 3 litres a day it was so so good.
There really is not much to do at the resort itself, but the Marriott with it's huge Casino is only a 5 min walk - some people will tell you it takes 30 min to get there but it doesn't if you are a good walker. We went there to do some shopping since we did not go into Basseterre and the Marriott's prices are out of this world - it is so expensive, it's almost stupid. If you want some cool little souveniors just go to the variety store at the resort. We got some great t-shirts, mugs, photo albums and picture frames there. I would suggest taking some EC dollars with you since it's just easier and forces you to spend!
The beach in front of the resort is nice. People say that it's really windy, which it was but the last 2 or 3 days of our holiday there was no wind and it was really hot. We stayed in the shade most of the time since it's important to protect the skin.
We miss 'our group' of people that we met down there - Ed and Barb, Deb and Charlie, Marie and her mom Bev, Orlando and Agatha - maybe we will see all of you again!
We are already thinking about the next trip to Sugar Bay. If you are looking for a nice, quiet place where you will meet other wonderful guests, wonderful staff and have amazing views and sun I would not hesitate to suggest Sugar Bay. It is truly a gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Bay Club Hotel is located in the lively Frigate Bay area of St. Kitts and our property is set amidst five acres of beautifully landscaped gardens on the Atlantic Ocean. We offer four restaurants on property, a duty free liquor store, a souvenir shop, an Express Mart and two fresh water swimming pools. Our St. Kitts Hotel is perfect for a relaxing tropical vacation. The Sugar Bay Club Hotel has eighty-nine rooms and suites. We offer amenities such as complimentary wireless internet access, air conditioning, cable TV, telephone, hairdryers, refrigerators, microwaves, tea/coffee making facilities, kitchenettes and private patio or balcony. Choose your view of the Atlantic Ocean, our vibrant garden or one of our two swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Bay Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Bay Club Hotel Frigate Bay
- Sugar Bay Club St. Kitts, St. Kitts And Nevis