“Think about it”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Dartmouth, England
“Think about it”
Reviewed 18 November 2006

My wife and I are over 60 years old. My daughter who accompanied us on our 14 day holiday to this hotel is 34 years old. We rate this hotel as 2 star only. The two best features are the gardens which are immaculate and the 80 foot pool. Otherwise we found it uninspiring. The food was repetitive and monotonous and I disagree with one reviewer who said vegetables were a plenty. I dont think this hotel knows what vegetables are. The few we got were miserable. The plumbing was noisy and erratic and needs to be brought into the 21st Century. The staff at the reception desk were miserable and uncommitted. Only one ever gave us a smile (Jasmin). Jasmin was smart and well groomed. The other staff lacked motivation and were glum most of the time. When we stayed there were 25 guests and 75 staff. You would think we were spoiled. That was not the case at all. One of the Chefs (Devron) had a sense of humour and one of the waitresses had the nicest smile in the Caribbean but otherwise we felt the staff were just giving lip service to their guests. The general feeling of my family was that we would return to St. Kitts and be happy in doing so but we would not stay at this hotel again. That was the view of the friends we made who also stayed at the Sugar Bay Club. It was all inclusive and tips were included. That didnt stop the dining room manageresss from actually saying `I hope I get a good tip when you go`. She didnt. We gave our tips to the two overworked pregnant waitresses even though neither gave us a smile throughout our stay. Before I forget, we did encounter 4 cockroaches in the eating area (trampled on but left there for all to see). Made our imagination run riot

Stayed November 2006
6 Thank advocate1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Arroyo de la Miel, Spain
Reviewed 4 November 2006

We stayed at the Sugar Bay club for a week from 7 - 14 October. The hotel only has 100 rooms, and was only about a quarter full while we were there. We were in a garden room on the first floor. It was spacious,with comfortable beds and plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom was a little old looking, but everything worked and the water was very hot!
There were two restaurants, both buffet style, with at least three choices of main course for dinner and two for lunch. Lunch was served at the restauarant by the pool and also dinner was there on two nights. Breakfast and the other dinners were upstairs in the restaurant above reception and the main bar area. Menus were posted in reception for dinner, so you could see in advance what was on offer for that evening. I only eat chicken and fish, but always found something to eat, especially the fish. They will cater for vegetarians on request and there were always plenty of salad and veggies. The desserts were mainly cake (the cheesecake was lovely) and there was ice cream, but you had to ask for it, as a previous reviewer said 'secret ice cream' as not every one seemed to know about it! The staff were very pleasant, but Yasmin went that extra mile to make sure we were happy and well fed!.

There were only (!) two bars, one by the pool and the other near reception - Calvin, the bartender was great and very generous (sometimes over generous!) with the rum! Ask for his 'special' - I've still no idea exactly what was in it apart from copious amounts of rum, but it was very 'moreish'! The bar near the pool normally closes at 6pm, unless dinner is in that restaurant, then it stays open until midnight. That was our only moan, for us Europeans, that the bar closed then! Sometimes here in Spain, we don't go out until 11pm and not that I want to drink all night (we're getting too old for that now!), it would have been nice to be able to relax with a last drink until 1 o'clock.

The only problem I had was that a mobile (cell) phone and a ring went missing from the room (yes, I know I should have put them in the safety deposit box). The phone was in my case and the ring in a drawer. I've e mailed the hotel twice and I'm still waiting for a reply. I know I won't be able to claim anything, but I thought I'd least I'd get a 'We're sorry, but.....' reply. I didn't let it spoil my stay, I was more annoyed with myself for letting it happen.

The beach is on the Atlantic side and has been eroded, so it's quite narrow, but there are a few sunbeds and sunshades. The sea was quite rough while we were there, so I didn't venture in, too many waves! The beach on the Carribean side is about 10 minutes walk, it's a longer beach with several beach bars, and the sea a little less rough.

In all, this hotel is good value for money and I'd like to return one day.

• Liked — Spacious rooms, excellent cocktails
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17 Thank lizspain
Burnley
Reviewed 2 August 2006

We loved this place. It is small and friendly and we got just the holiday we wanted.
We went at the end of July 06. As it is low season, the place was fairly quiet, which suited us and meant that we got a little extra attention from the staff.

Being met in reception with a cooling fruit drink was a lovely touch, as was the bouganvillia blossom in the room.

The staff were all warm and helpful, and seemed to really care. It was nice to meet Andrew, the manager at his weekly cocktail party, and have him take a personal interest in our stay. I don't ever remember this at any other hotel.

The grounds are lovingly tended, and the beach is raked of seaweed every day. We were told that some of the empty rooms were being refurbished during this quiet period, but this didn't affect us in any way, so ithey must have been doing this very discreetly.

The food was excellent, with the English chef including some local recipes and vegetables in the choices. The water is lovely and safe to drink, and so therefore are the ice-cubes and salad etc. I drank lots and am sometimes prone to holiday tummy, but not here!

We wanted a Caribbean experience, and were so glad we stayed here and not at the five star hotel down the road, which could have been in Las Vegas or anywhere in the world, for that matter.

So, the bottom line is, we loved the Sugar Bay Club and would hope to stay there again if we were ever back in St. Kitts.

Hope this helps!

• Liked — Caribbean feel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
26 Thank Helrob
Bury St Edmunds, England
Reviewed 2 July 2006

Hotel was very clean when we visited in June 2006. Would be very crowded during high season - wehen we were there there were only 24 people staying with alot of one night stayers for business meetings. The numbers did swell considerably from the thursday 29th June when the music festival came to the island. The restaurants struggled with the numbers in for breakfast. Staff are very friendly especially Yasmine who looked after all our needs.
The pool areas were great as was the beach even though on the Atlantic coast so could not swim in it it was very nice to lay on this beach. Just a 10 minute walk will get you to the caribbean side & a great beach at Timothy Bay - snorkelling good, beds & umbrellas available on beach as well as a bar & snack food huts.
Our only let down was the apparent lack of care from the Hotel staff when I had a piece of my property go missing from my bedroom. As crime is such a rarity I would have expected a more shocked approach to my problem. I did not let this mar my holiday.
The food was on the whole good only 2 meals out of 2 weeks AI that we felt were a let down. Mixed menu of international & local. Always chicken & fish plus another dish! Lack of fresh fruit apart from melon daily which was a surprise.
Great to spend nights at the Casino based inthe Marriott - 5 minutes walk away! Be that high roller!!!

20 Thank Sally M

Travellers are raving about these Frigate Bay hotels

Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 27 June 2006

I think it always helps to know something about the reviewer, so here goes. We’re a married couple, both 30, and have traveled a bit through the Caribbean. We prefer all-inclusive resorts and we prefer smaller resorts, NOT couples only, where we can relax, not worry about how much that pina colada is costing us and where our next meal is coming from. If we’re on vacation, we don’t want to worry about money so we enjoy the all-inclusive. So the things we look for are: not couples only, all-inclusive, good pool (we have a pool at home, so when we travel we want a GREAT pool, several dining options and well reviewed by other travelers.

Overall, we were very pleased with Sugar Bay. Sure, there are some areas where things could be improved, but we enjoyed the area, the grounds and the friendliness of the staff and other guests.

Grounds
Absolutely beautiful. We loved the family pool with the waterfall and volleyball net. Since there were almost no children at the resort, it was still a peaceful and relaxing place to swim and sunbathe. The rest of the grounds, including the adult pool and the paths were beautiful too with flowers, flowering bushes and pretty palm trees. The buildings were fairly well maintained from the outsides too.

Room
We loved our poolside room. It was huge, featured an entryway with a small bed (which provided the all-important extra pillow) and a main room with king bed, nightstands, television, mini-fridge, small sitting area and plenty of closet and drawer space. We did miss having an alarm clock, as we had to check our watches in the dark if we woke up too early and we had to set the alarm on a cell phone for the early mornings when we had plans. Also, coffee lovers will miss that there’s no coffee maker in the rooms too. We did have a fridge, so we’d walk to the Rams convenience store or the Marriott to get sodas for the mornings and late evenings. Also, our room was on the second floor so we had a nice balcony overlooking the family pool. It had a table and two chairs, a chaise lounge with small table and every balcony or patio had a nice potted plant, watered by the condensation from the air conditioner. Very smart! The bathroom was big enough and the room was well cleaned every day – even washing the tile floor every day instead of just sweeping it. These details are appreciated.

The service was great from nearly everyone. From the manager, Andrew, who was very friendly and recognized us even when we were in town or at another hotel to the cleaning ladies, maintenance staff, servers and bartenders, nearly everyone was very friendly and attentive. We appreciated that we got the same service as the non-all-inclusive guests which is rare. Usually the all-inclusive guests get lesser service since we tend to tip less. The only place where we had issues with service was the front desk. We were awaiting a receipt from a cab driver and when we’d stop there to ask if it was there, they’d glance around and tell us no. Finally we found the cab driver and he told us the receipt had been there for days. When we went back, they still said it wasn’t there. When we went out and asked the cab driver to walk to the desk with us, it was suddenly there. Also on our last day we were expecting a departure notice from our transportation company. I asked if anything was dropped off for our room and he said no. When I pressed about it, asking what time they were usually dropped off since it was 4:00 already and we were scheduled to depart in the morning, he found it. It just seemed that it was easier to say no then to actually look around and find something. This was not everyone at the front desk, just two people in particular.

Food and Drink
We were pleased with the quality of the food but felt that more variety would have been appreciated. Breakfast was a buffet but you could always order an omelet or eggs from the kitchen. But it was basically the same every day. Lunch was a buffet but on most days you could order from a small menu from the kitchen – burger and fries, fish and chips, sausage sandwich, pita sandwich and one other thing. Since we’re not huge buffet people, we liked this option, and did this every day that we had lunch at the resort. Dinner was supposed to be buffet five nights with ala carte two nights. We didn’t see this and saw buffet every night. Most nights were good, some nights were great and one night nothing appealed to us. And this is the night that we chose to leave the resort for dinner, so that was fine. They put up a sign every morning showing the night’s dinner selections, so that was nice. There was always a fish and then two other main dishes – beef, chicken or pork. Desserts were good but it seemed that there were some things that you just had to see others doing or have server tell you. Like if you didn’t know about the omelets in the kitchen, you’d have to see someone else with one and ask if you could have one too. Also there was delicious ice cream available if you asked but we were there for a few days before learning that. I called it the secret ice cream. But again, the quality was great and I did try some things that I enjoyed that I might not have ordered from a menu. The bars were nice, the bartenders were friendly. We did feel that having a few extra items would help make drinks with more variety. Adding just some Blue Curacao, fresh strawberries and bananas and vanilla vodka would add considerably more drinks to the possible list. Also, other resorts we’ve visited have featured a big board of fun drinks – names and descriptions. This would help because guests could find ideas of new things to try and know that 1) the bartender knew how to make it and 2) the stuff to make it would be available.

Cats
The resort has a number of cats, all there to keep the rodents at bay I’m sure. Some cats are very friendly, rubbing against your legs for attention and others are more timid. We loved having the cats there, as we really missed our cats at home and it was fun to play with the island cats. One of our favorites, whom we called Funny Face, had a very bad infection that I won’t describe. We talked to the manager, Andrew, and begged him to get medical attention for Funny Face and even offered to contribute some money toward his care. He said that he’d make sure he got some attention from the vet school on the island this week, so we’re really hoping that he sticks to this. Andrew, if you’re reading this, we’d love to know how Funny Face is doing!!!

Other guests
We had so much fun meeting new people and learning about their lives. We were among very few Americans at the resort, which we liked. The other guests seemed to be mainly British, with some guys from Barbados, a family from Puerto Rico and people from some other places. We loved meeting everyone and I must say that by the end of the week it was like a small college dorm, as we recognized everyone and everyone was friendly. I can’t see this happening at the Marriott or any of the larger resorts – this is something we love about small resorts and we really had fun talking with everyone else. As for kids - there were only two kids that we saw the whole week. One six year old and one sixteen year old. Yes we were there in the off season but the hotel did fill up, mainly with people in town for conventions and cricket. I think children might be bored here, at least they would have been while we were there.

Again, we very much enjoyed our visit to St. Kitts and Sugar Bay. Would we stay here again? Probably. And we’d do all-inclusive again as it was only $200 more for our package than not doing all-inclusive. It will be interesting to see what happens to rates as more competition comes in from the newer hotels.

If you're still with me, Sugar Bay is a great little place to stay.

• Stayed June 2006
34 Thank rjarabeck
LANGHORNE
Reviewed 18 June 2006

Was a little nervous after reading some reviews but they are old and there is new manegment and the place is upgrading on a regular basis. The staff were so friendly and the food was really good. The room was nice. The grounds are lovely and well kept. The pool was sparkling clean. Any complaints or problems we had were handled in a promt manner to my satisfaction. I would definely recomend the hotel. It is a lovely little hideaway.
It is the laid back type of hotel that is disappering from the caribbean. And if you use the all inclusive package it is a very good bargin.
Only caveat; Use your safe or the saftey deposit boxes. It only makes sense whereever you are.

• Stayed June 2006
16 Thank L P
Ontario
Reviewed 28 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at SBC from April 8 to 15. I have one word to say, it was amazing. We had read all the reviews and were a little nervous. But, as seasoned travellers we did not let it bother us. We have stayed at a variety of resorts, the Riu resorts (Jamaica and Cancun), Superclubs (Jamaica and Curaco) as well as several reosrts in St. Martin and Cuba so we know what to expect from resorts.

Arriving in St. Kitts airport is even a great experience. The people on this island are top notch, they are so friendly. They do not have the huge buses here, they transport you in a van, so once the van is full you leave - no waiting for the slower people!

The hotel is about a 5 min drive from the airport with wonderful view of the ocean along the way.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were checked in right away, but told that since our flight was early, our room was not quite ready, would we like to get lunch or wait. We decided to wait since we saw Jason coming with a tray of ice cold drinks. We ended up waiting about 3 min and they said our room was ready and they acutally showed us to our room, gave us a mini tour of the resort along the way and showed us how to use everything in our room.

NOTE: the only rooms on the resort with in-room safes are the poolside cottages but they do have a safe at the front desk - we kept our stuff there with no problems.

We stayed in a gardenview room (Room 225) and due to the location of our room, we could see the ocean (score!) We fed the little birds on our balcony every morning and we even saw a mongoose run across the lawn - I wouldn't worry about them during the day or night my husband and I were up every morning about 5:30 - 6:00 so it was early when we saw it. Our room was huge, massive! And the beds are so so comfortable that I acutally took the sheets off to see what kind of mattress it was. - Serta

The food is so so good. They had soup at every lunch and dinner, they did not reheat anything for the next day. We had lamb, beef, pork, shrimp. You name we had it. The lunch buffet also had a menu you could order from - I would highly suggest the bugers, they are so good. Fresh fruit and juice at breakfast. And my favorite was the drinking water - I must have drank 2 or 3 litres a day it was so so good.

There really is not much to do at the resort itself, but the Marriott with it's huge Casino is only a 5 min walk - some people will tell you it takes 30 min to get there but it doesn't if you are a good walker. We went there to do some shopping since we did not go into Basseterre and the Marriott's prices are out of this world - it is so expensive, it's almost stupid. If you want some cool little souveniors just go to the variety store at the resort. We got some great t-shirts, mugs, photo albums and picture frames there. I would suggest taking some EC dollars with you since it's just easier and forces you to spend!

The beach in front of the resort is nice. People say that it's really windy, which it was but the last 2 or 3 days of our holiday there was no wind and it was really hot. We stayed in the shade most of the time since it's important to protect the skin.

We miss 'our group' of people that we met down there - Ed and Barb, Deb and Charlie, Marie and her mom Bev, Orlando and Agatha - maybe we will see all of you again!

We are already thinking about the next trip to Sugar Bay. If you are looking for a nice, quiet place where you will meet other wonderful guests, wonderful staff and have amazing views and sun I would not hesitate to suggest Sugar Bay. It is truly a gem.

• Stayed April 2006
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Bird Rock Beach Hotel
Bird Rock Beach Hotel
#5 of 5 in Basseterre

Been to Sugar Bay Club? Share your experiences!