We stayed at Timothy Beach Resort, January 16-25, 2014.
We were looking to try something besides the typical all-inclusive option and a little less busy; we were not disappointed! Timothy Beach Resort is small and cozy and quiet – it is not the Marriott. If you want that level of service, activity, chic, etc. at your disposal that would probably be your better bet.
That being said, Timothy Beach Resort is the classic laid-back island experience. Warm breezes, warm aqua water with a sandy bottom beach, beach shack eateries to stroll into (whether you have flip-flops on or not), very low-key. We didn’t have a suite but a regular hotel room with just a fridge but it was enough to hold water, juice and some snacks for a few days. We walked 2 blocks to Ram’s grocery to re-stock.
Get a room facing the beach with a balcony. Noise wasn’t an issue, A/C was on most of the time. Bathrooms have been remodeled with all new tile and were clean (we are SUPER picky about bathroom cleanliness!). Our TV was very small, but we are not huge TV watchers so this was not a big deal for us. The balconies are large and a great place to have coffee in the morning or a drink in the late afternoon. No mosquitoes.
The Sunset Café is good for breakfast and they have a few theme nights which we tried, too. It was fine. As I mentioned, there are a lot of good places on the beach or a short walk to something more upscale. A word of caution though – there is a 12% VAT tax and 10% service charge in all restaurants, so remember to figure that into the price! The grilled lobster dinner at Cathy’s on the beach was great!
There is a new little beach bar on the grounds. A fun place to meet other travelers for happy hour but it gets crowded quickly!
Staff is very friendly and easy going. We received especially good service from Ashton and Juliette.
About the beach, yes, it is very small. However, it is literally steps on the sand to the large public beach which was big and had a nice sandy bottom. We would leave our chairs and things on the pool patio and run down to the beach. The water was very warm during our January visit.
The animals are a bonus! Three resident chickens (a rooster and 2 hens), mongoose, cats and monkeys! The green Vervet monkeys are quite entertaining but can be very mischevious. They seem to be quite used to people being around and they provided lots of laughs (I’m sure the staff may have found them less endearing than the guests)!
Walked to the Marriott one day to check it out. Big and beautiful. Gorgeous and huge beach, but the surf is much rougher than our smaller Carribbean-side beach. Not really the vacation experience we had wanted in St. Kitts, but glad we checked it out anyway. We did gamble at the casino one evening after a lobster dinner special at Blue Restaurant in the Marriott (think that’s the correct name of the restaurant).
The pool at Timothy Beach was small but enough for all the guests and clean. Many times we had it all to ourselves.
Shopping in Basseterre is OK, a busy but small capital city. Port Zante is the best shopping for jewelry, liquor, perfume, etc. Also a small craft market outside the port. Shopped at Kay Jewelers, which is recommended by the cruise lines. Very pleased with the selection and my jewelry purchase from there.
Do take a day trip to Nevis, the smaller and quieter sister island. A guide drove our small group around the island and made several stops for us: Natural hot springs, Hermitage Plantation, Nesbit Plantation for lunch (gorgeous!), and a beachside place for “Killer Bee” punch. Delicious but potent!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on St. Kitts golden Caribbean beach, Timothy Beach Resort offers: •The only hotel in the upscale golf community of Frigate Bay located directly on the Caribbean beach •Friendly, gracious staff who are delighted to help make your vacation your best ever by arranging tours, activities & reservations •Lovely modern air conditioned rooms all of which feature premium channel cable TV and Free WIFI •Deluxe One Bedroom Suites with recently remodeled walk-in Kittitian Rainforest Showers and spacious furnished balconies adding an additional outdoor living space to your home away from home. •Two Bedroom Suite and Townhouse Options •A recently redesigned and rebuilt pool providing private relaxation and a commanding view of the Caribbean beach •The oceanfront Sunset Cafe restaurant and bar open daily for all meals and snacks •The popular Dock bar directly on the sands of Frigate Bay beach with Happy Hour Monday through Friday and Sunday live entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Timothy Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Timothy Beach Hotel Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Frigate Bay
- Timothy Beach Resort St. Kitts, St. Kitts And Nevis