The new wife and I had our wedding and honeymoon at the St. Kitts Marriott. We stayed 10 days on the island at this resort. The wedding coordinator (Alexia) was excellent, and made sure everything went smooth. The hotel is very nice, but needs some maintenance. It is relatively new (10 years old) but the workmanship is not like back at the states (maybe lack of skilled trades). Little things like the spout for the tub was not contacting the wall by an inch, rust on railings, half-assed repairs to lighting, etc. were evident. Overall the resort was gorgeous however. I think when another large resort moves to the island and gives the Marriott competition these little things will be taken care of.
The food was awesome at the resort, if not a little pricey. If you can, get a meal plan, since there is little else to eat as far as restaurants on the island. Just a lot of holes in the wall really. The pool and swim up bar are a popular place, but they close early (7pm). In the "off" season, many of the restaurant rotate openings.
The water at the Marriott was awesome, if not a little rough (waves). Snorkeling on the island is not the best, but diving was okay. There are few beaches to snorkel off of and not a really well developed offshore reef, since it is a volcanic island not a coral island. Watch out for Sea Urchins on the south coast of the island, they are everywhere. The best beaches are on the south peninsula. The windward side of the island is rough (waves), the leeward side is populated (hard to get to or dirty beaches).
Renting a car was not necessary here, but a trip or two around the island is fun, but a car is not needed for more than a few days. The local taxi services also offer tours, and are not too expensive, $20 - $35 a person (depending on group size) to see many of the sights. As is typical with an island, drivers are nuts, but I had no issues driving for all 10 days.
The islanders are the friendliest I have ever met, and I have been travelling to various Caribbean islands for 30 years.
The weather in early November was awesome, steady 5-15 mph winds, 90 degrees, and it rained for only a few minutes on only two days.
Definitely do several of the offered adventures that the hotel will set up for you. The ATV tour, zip lines, diving, catamaran, etc. are all fun, but not cheap. They set it up for you, pick you up, drop you off wherever the adventure begins, then drive you back to the hotel when done.
As stated, I have been to many islands, and this one I would say is middle of the pack.
Once it gets more developed it may lose that small island feel, and gain some nicer amenities and services. If you want to sit on a beach at a resort, drink boat drinks, and forget about your life back home this is the place to go. If you are looking for snorkeling, a lot of great restaurants, and a variety of beaches to visit, you may want to try elsewhere.
There were very few children at the resort, which could be a positive or a negative, depending on what you are looking for. I would say the island on a whole is more adult friendly and oriented rather than kid-friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marriott St. Kitts Resort & Royal Beach Casino captivates you from the moment you see it, immersing you in the culture and atmosphere of this most relaxing and romantic of Caribbean Islands. Our breathtaking St. Kitts resort hotel offers an unparalleled island vacation experience. Luxury guest rooms, trimmed with West Indian accents and cutting-edge comforts, are spacious and welcoming. That same Caribbean flavor sets the tone in our 8 restaurants and 2 lounges. For entertainment and relaxation, the resort also offers the 35,000 sq ft Royal Beach Casino, the 15,000 sq ft Emerald Mist Spa and boasts an 18-hole championship golf course at the Royal St. Kitts Golf Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Hotel Frigate Bay
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort And The Royal Beach Casino
- Marriott Frigate Bay
- Marriott St Kitts
- Frigate Bay Marriott
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino St. Kitts And Nevis