“Unforgettable gastronomy”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fontjoncouse
Long buckby
“Unforgettable gastronomy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel restaurant with 3 friends to celebrate my birthday, the first time in 11 years for health reasons I could do this... And so it was to be special to say the least
Before we arrived the restaurant checked to see if there were any special requests, as my friend was vegetarian the caller took time to understand exactly what she could and couldn't eat, and the day before rang again to check on the arrangements.
The drive over to fontjoncouse was a taster for what was to come... Unexpected radiant surprises around every twist and turn of the country road.
On settling in to the restaurant a cherry champagne cocktail was suggested and welcomed which was accompanied by some mouth it's to set the scene.
We settled on the plat du jour type menu which was full if surprises that I will not go into too much detail as I would not like to rob anyone of the pure delight of the culinary creations, suffice to say we had never eaten like this before it took the experience to a whole new level as we oohed and aaahed our way through each course.
The waiting staff were most attentive and synchronised, I now have the most unforgettable birthday memories If you only one in your life can afford to do 3 Michelin stars... Make this the ace to do it!!
I guess the only irritant and surprising irritant as Gilles Goujon is a leading critic of this behaviour and I fully support his view, is that of photographing food, on the table next to us were a couple who took about 6 pics of each dish presented, very annoying, but more annoying was when waiters were taking pictures for them drooling over the food as well, and this occurred at a couple of tables.. C'mon Gilles if you're to make a stand against these distasteful practices... Make sure your staff know as well!!
Oh and one other minor irritation... The cookbook available in the shop was only in French, so I thought I'd go to amazon to get English version ( a la laduree) only to find it doesn't exist.. And now it's too far back to drive to get French version .. An error I won't make again !!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was our third trip to this restaurant and it was as good as the first time we went. Atmosphere was excellent the Maître' D came out to meet us in the car park and even parked our car. We were then greeted by various members of staff all the way to our table. The tasting menu was fabulous as usual and nothing disappointed. The attention to detail was excellent. We will be back , if you are a foodie it is certainly worth a visit to this beautiful remote part of France.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank barbara f
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are very impressed with the quality and imagination. The auberge is located in a middle of no where (though it has a nice old church and a village), it's worth a visit to taste the chef's creation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KLTokyo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

This review is for the hotel, not the restaurant - more precisely the terrace rooms. While I mentioned some disappointments with regards to the dinner, nothing can take away my 5 stars to our room, not even the bath/shower without curtain and without holder for the shower head, even though that is something you would expect. The positive experience makes me forget that easily.

I loved our spacious room, the very comfortable bed, the fruits and cakes when we arrived, the excellent breakfast served in the morning sun outside our room (despite some disturbances from a begging cat and hungry wasps). I just wish there was less wind so it would be more tempting to try out the swimming pool.

A perfect place to visit with a special one!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SindreN
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

After booking this many years ago we managed to make it. Whilst we have a house near by, we also decided to stay. You receive a call a few days before hand checking to make sure that have no allergies, or anything you really do not like! Greeted by the Chef, both pre and post meal, this is unusual, as many 3 Star Chefs do not cook.....

How much? - Prepare to pay at least £250 per head.......My only gripe is, do you need to Charge for Water????? 5 Euro's for Tap water!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spencermit
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

If at all possible, take a trip here. Not cheap, but good food isn't. Made very welcome by Chef and his wife in person. Not always the case in 3 Starred Michelin establishments. The invention of the various dishes is stunning. Will be going back next year for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan J
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We LOVED this restaurant. We did a tour of three star restaurants in the South of France, and this was perhaps our favorite. It was absolutely our favorite food-wise.
The Chef greeted us at our table, and discussed our menu. We both ordered the lunch menu, that offered no choices meaning we would both have the same menu start to finish. The Chef returned to our table to explain that he would like to share with us more flavors than this, and proposed making us a second, different lunch menu. We were thrilled. Everything was absolutely perfect.
This restaurant, this Chef, deserve these stars.
There were some slight imperfections in design and service. I am a highly observant person, and notice just about everything that goes on. I consider dining my theater. When a Chef hits it SO right as this Chef did.... Any (all) of my minor, nitpicking complaints, are not for TripAdvisor.
We LOVED it here.
I called this HAPPINESS ON A PLATE

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WhitsEnd2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontjoncouse
Clarion Suites Narbonne Ile Du Gua
Chateau l'Hospitalet
Chateau l'Hospitalet
#3 of 22 in Narbonne
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
Le Mas de Gaujac Hotel-Restaurant
Le Mas de Gaujac Hotel-Restauran...
#1 of 1 in Lezignan-Corbieres
Hotel de la Plage
Hotel de la Plage
#3 of 9 in Gruissan
Chateau de Palaja
Chateau de Palaja
#1 of 1 in Palaja

Been to Auberge Du Vieux Puits? Share your experiences!