“Is it that hard to clear a table?”

Galerie.M. Monpazier Cafe Restaurant
Reserve with
Galerie.M. Monpazier Cafe Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 14 Restaurants in Monpazier
Price range: US$19 - US$110
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Café Restaurant on the square of Monpazier. Sunny terrace. Apart from the main menu, we offer set menus and a today's special. Art exhibitions all year. We purchase quality products from local suppliers and treat them with respect for the region.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We agree with all the previous comments! we fancied a glass of wine and an omelette of cepes which you would think would be easy to find in Perigord. We discovered this restaurant and should have been warmed by the disgusting state of the tables. We waited 30 minutes for our aperitif and for the table to be cleared. The rude waitress said. "everything comes to him who waits" We waited another 30 mins for our food only to find that there was no salad dressing and when we finally summonsed the owner having tried to get the salad dressing from the waitress he rudely told us that every one was looking for the salad dressing including him! He then brought sunflower oil! We left without touching our plates. One of the worst experiences we have ever had in France. Total incompetence. How dare these people call themselves restaurateurs?

5  Thank Peter D

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I thought I ought to add my own comments to those of my bro-in-law (below) as I was the unfortunate French-speaking client who had to deal with the owner and waiter (son?) by whom we had the misfortune to be served. I will henceforth refer to these two jokers as Basil and Manuel (B&M).
Upon arrival Basil was pleasant enough, no doubt glad to have snared another 5 victims on a gloriously sunny September day. We were seated on the edge of the lovely Monpazier square and were all feeling relaxed and happy. Therefore when my fiancee's inquiry (in French) of Manuel as to what ingredients were contained within one of the salad dishes was met with the curt reply "it's written on the menu", we let this rudeness pass. Maybe we should have realised things were on a downward path when she asked whether the dressing could be left on the side and was greeted with "Non!".
Wine and water were brought to the table followed by food for 4 of us. Since the rest of us had hot food, we gave up waiting for my finacee's salad and started - after my bro-in-law had scrounged cutlery from another table. When the salad finally arrived, we pointed out that the rest of us had nearly finished and we hadn't been supplied with the frites to accompany the hot dishes - naturally this observation was met with indifference. Meanwhile my finacee found that her salad had the additional unwanted ingredient of a long hair. Since Basil and Manuel were nowhere to be seen, I took the dish back into the restaurant to complain. Both Basil and Manuel showed zero concern other than to ask me not to pull out the offending item from the dish, presumably so nobody else could see what was happening...
When the replacement salad was produced, with no apology, the rest of us had finished. Well, that is not strictly accurate as it was only then that the frites arrived with Basil. I said that we had already finished our meals to which he replied "well what do you expect unless you order them at the beginning of the meal?". Somewhat taken aback, I replied that we had ordered them at the same time as the other dishes, but Basil was all ready hot-footing it back towards the kitchen.
Deciding that enough was enough, and despite enjoying banter with the two neighbouring tables who were aghast at the ineptitude/rudeness etc of B&M, we asked for the bill. Manuel appeared and I inspected it wondering (stupidly) whether they had deducted either the frites or the salad. Seeing all items included, I asked Manuel whether he thought it right that we should be charged for these items. He replied that we had ordered them and so of course we had to pay the full amount. He would not budge from this position and was very hostile. I pointed out that I was inclined to remove an amount equivalent to the service (joke) charge, to which he replied I had to pay it all. I said that I would discuss with the others how much we were prepared to pay before settling the bill whereupon he put his hands on his hips and said "Discuss it now whilst I wait!". I decided to ignore this display of petulance and joined in the general frivolity between our table and the group beside us. Manuel stood there glaring at me/us for a full 2-3 minutes, looking rather stupid it has to be said, before having to admit defeat as he was called away to another table.
We finally decided that it wasn't worth starting an even bigger row by deducting money off the bill and so left cash which was quickly taken away by Manuel. As he flounced off, my sister asked what was happening (her French not being that good) and I said he was just a rude [--]. Manuel overheard the comment and demanded in English to know what I had said; I replied "You heard" and he stormed off to get Basil. They then stood huddled together muttering various insults at us and when I asked whether they thought it satisfactory that they serve food which included hair, Basil shouted "Do you expect us to be, skin-heads?!".
It was so bad that it was possibly worth the money for amusement value, but I wouldn't suggest anybody else risks such abuse, bad service and hygienically prepared food... Avoid.

5  Thank BigwigFrance
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A glorious day in Monpazier with good company and loads of laughter was spoilt by the experience at this hive of malevolence.

48 hours later I still cannot properly find the words to describe our experience. Actually the food was not bad. It would have been better if we had all been served at the same time, and this accompanying dishes with the main course. But with hindsight it was a blessed relief we had only ordered on course.

A word of advice if you do plan to eat there, take your own cutlery. They seem to be reluctant to provide you with a knife and fork. Probably in case you exact painful revenge on the Patron and the waiter.

It took over an hour and a half from sitting down to receiving the first plate. Another age to receive the last one and that was the chips which should have been served with the omelette.

Portion size was generous, especially when you consider the patron might have liked to retain his fast diminishing grey hair. Instead he was generously applying it as an additional layer to the food we had ordered and he served.

I have never before seen wine served with such skill and grace. The final act of the owner was achieving a 90 % success rate pouring (throwing) the wine from the carafe to glass from a height of two feet and from the other side of the table.

By this stage our Dutch and Parisienne neighbouring diners were agog with what the owner and the waiter were going to do next. Attempts at pacification of the home team (owner and waiter) were met with attempts to remove their food before the diners had finished and their bill being slapped on the table in front of them.

When we tried to suggest that the bill be reviewed to take account of the additional hairs, the slowness of the service, the abuse and the protracted and inept delivers of our order, there was a blanket refusal to make a centime adjustment.

Like most people, an apology and a smile would have been sufficient, but the arrogant refusal to accept any acknowledgement that we has a justifiable reason to complain has blown me away

The experience ended with the owner and the waiter hurling insults verging on the racist and certainly very anti British. We were threatened with the police, the tribunal and who knows what else.

I have no idea if the owner was experiencing any form of emotional crisis. Frankly after his behaviours I don't care. All we wanted was lunch.

If this review saves just one person from experiencing such aggressive and abusive service, it will have served its purpose.

14  Thank SREW56
LaGalerieM, Responsable relations clients at Galerie.M. Monpazier Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Rarely can we take a certain pleasure in someting even if an unpleasant experience. To be permitted to serve two such unfortunate, but equally unfriendly guests as these two - we allow ourselves to call them Pim and Pips - that happens rarely. He who searches for a hair in the soup will find one for sure, most likely even many, and even then when the cook happens to be a bald head. But then the hair supposedly found in a bio salad plays only an unthankful, but minor role.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

The online site looked marvelous, the location is good, the price seemed fair. But the waiter was surly, the toilet dirty, and the food mediocre. An elderly gentleman--the owner--was courtly and pleasant, but that didn't make up for the rest of it.

4  Thank expatjean
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We ate at Galerie M in July 2013, height of the tourist season, there were only two waitresses and they could not cope with the volume of people. It took 50 minutes for them to bring our drinks after prompting, the food was slow and we had to push them for the bill. The food itself was OK, the pork was excellent but the 'medium' beef was rare.

2  Thank Andrew S