“Beautiful abbey and gardens, but...”

Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden
Connemara and Galway City Day Trip from Dublin
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Kylemore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Set in a dramatic landscape, Kylemore is an ideal destination for a day out. From it’s beginnings as a romantic gift in the 1860s to becoming home to the Benedictine Nuns in 1920, Kylemore is steeped in history and tales of tragedy, romance, engineering initiatives, model farms, royal visits, spirituality and education. Experience the Victorian atmosphere of the restored rooms of the abbey and gothic church. Explore the magical Victorian Walled Garden, nature trails and woodland walks.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Napa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful abbey and gardens, but...”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We recently had a wonderful tour of Ireland. It was our first visit to Kylemore Abbey. It was beautiful and very interesting. Wish the garden had more flowers, but I bet it will be a delight to see in the coming months.
I would be careful about buying the fuschia pottery that is sold in the in their gift shop. Upon arriving home, I found a hairline crack in it and wrote two times to the contact email and did not receive an answer about replacing it. I was very careful with handling the pottery and believe that there is problems with the quality. Just a heads up on it.

1 Thank Ann S
KylemoreAbbey, Public Relations Manager at Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Ann
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your problem with the pottery piece you purchased from us and your lack of success in receiving a response. Could you send me a private email with your postal address so that I can replace your pottery piece as soon as possible. Could you also send me the other email addresses you contacted so that I can figure out why you did not receive a response. We would never consider this a suitable way to treat a customer and I am sure I will find some reason as to why this has happened.
As for the pottery, as you know with a handmade product there can occasionally be faults which are usually spotted before glazing when the piece would be discarded. If a flawed item does make it through the glazing process it would then be marked as a second which are sometimes kept and perhaps sold at a reduced rate. Your piece is one of the very rare pieces that would have slipped through the net.
Our pottery actually has a reputation as being particularly robust and hard waring. Some local restaurants in our area use Kylemore water jugs and wine coolers and have not needed to replace them in over ten years of service.
However Ann we would be delighted to turn your experience around so please get in touch as soon as possible and let me rectify he situation.

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Gallatin, Tennessee
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Beautiful Garden with an Abbey tour thrown in”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We visited Kylemore Abbey as part of the Galway Tour Company route - The Connemara & Cong Tour.

Seeing the Abbey from across the lake, it is a beautiful building and the inside is steeped in history, some romantic and some sad. The Abbey’s tour only allowed us to roam around a few rooms on the first floor. I would have liked to see how the bedrooms were furnished and into the kitchen. From the Abbey continue on to the Church so you don’t have to double back to it like we did.

A bus will take you to The Walled Garden. The whole place is very beautiful and has gardeners planting and maintaining many kinds of vegetables and flowers and the beauty of the whole place is breathtaking.

If you are going to bother with traveling the distance to the Abbey and surrounding area I say go ahead and spend the few euros for the tour. Seeing the well organized and maintained garden is worth it alone with a bonus of the Abbey and Church thrown it.

The restaurant is cafeteria style with several choices are available. Being on a tour bus for several hours I reframed from drinking much liquids for obvious reasons.

1 Thank Dick C
Woodstock, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Stunning!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The landscape and abbey are stunning! I wish there was more to explore. The garden was a bit more underwhelming than I'd have thought.

Visited June 2014
Ballina, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“eye catching”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Spent an enjoyable day here last July. Even though the weather wasn't perfect it didn't spoil our day here. The walled garden was amazing. And the tour round the abbey was very enjoyable. Will definitely return

Visited July 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A beautiful escape”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My family took the drive out too Kylemore Abby & Victorian Walled Garden during our recent trip to Ireland. We arrived right as they opened in the morning. That turned out to be a great idea. For most of our time there we were the only people there. We were able to amble through the beautiful Abby and then the amazing gardens without the bother of crowds of other people. We learned the tragic story of the original owners and how it came to be in the hands of the nuns. The Gardens are beautiful and well worth a walk around. The grounds (of the Abby and the garden) are meticulously maintained. The whole place is so relaxing, a little slice of heaven. It really felt like a sanctuary there. There is a restaurant but we did not visit because it seemed a bit expensive and also extremely chaotic. However there is a cute little gift shop with everything from sweaters to chocolates. I very much recommend a visit to this Abbey on the lake.