“WILL BE GOING BACK”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Connel
Dundee, United Kingdom
“WILL BE GOING BACK”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We have just arrived home from a weekend at the Falls of Lora hotel, and honestly wish we could have stayed on. Absolutely nothing to fault. Please don't believe any bad reviews you read, obviously the complainers will never be satisfied with anything. Well worth paying a visit.
Natalie & Bill Gibson
Room 35

Room Tip: Go that bit extra and indulge yourself in a "Special Room"
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nataliegibson25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We live around the corner from the Falls. Took my wife there for the first time a few weeks back. we were shown to our table by a young waitress. Strangely though she never returned for our order. We decided on what we wanted, then waited and waited and waited some more.The two young waitresses were having a good gab' about something or other. I was a little stubborn by not calling someone over but i thought why the hell should I. The other waitress then showed a couple to the table next to us.she immediately asked them what drinks they wanted and went to get them. meanwhile, we were still sitting waiting. We got our coates and walked out!! The elderly lady at reception asked us why were leaving. I relayed this story to her and she was most apologetic. we walked to the nearby pub to eat.
Last weekend with my wifes daughter visiting we thought we'd give it another go. Whilst I waited outside they went to book a table for that evening. the same elderly lady at reception was totally uninterested and suggested instead of asking her we should go into the restaurant to find out. My wifes daughter was so underwelmed she decided we should go the the pub....again, so we did. Very strange??!!

6 Thank kev s
Carluke, Scotland
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Spent a lovely weekend here with friends from The Blue Knights International Law enforcement motorcycle club after it was recommended by a friend.
It was a most pleasurable stay in a lovely traditional Scottish hotel. I paid for an up grade and was given room 35 which was beautiful with an outstanding view.
The food was first class both breakfast and evening meal. The staff were most helpful and polite.

I would recommend this hotel wanting a peace and quiet holiday, I will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

When it comes to the Falls of Lora Hotel in Connel, I'll start with the positives. Our room had a large spa bath, was spacious and the food at the Hotel in the restaurant, breakfast room and room service was nice. The Hotel is located a short drive from Oban and can hold a family for a reasonable cost compared to other Hotels in Oban itself. The negatives: While we had chosen our room from photos on the Hotel's website and were prepared that our room was a rennovated 1970's room, nothing prepares you for the quirkiness of this Hotel. From the moment you walk in you feel like you have stepped back in time but in a bad way with a multitude of mismatched decor. There's Chinese decor, country decor, a cat ornament in one form or another wherever you look. Then in the rooms, you are met with peach coloured sheets, dated duvets and horrible pillows. The Hotel would benefit in a professional coming with a "less is best" approach and stripping this Hotel back to its former glory rather than the way it is. I have also never stayed a Hotel with carpet in the bathrooom! To give the Hotel credit though they did have a nice new TV in our room which we weren't expecting. If you are into this kind of "unique" Hotel stays than this Hotel is for you. If you'd much rather stay in a Hotel with comfortable beds, sofas and minimal clutter, then you'll need to look elsewhere.

3 Thank Rachel W
Armagh
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights with our 3 year old from 11th April. As soon as you walked in the door you felt welcome it was like visiting an Aunts house. (a rich old aunt)
Our room was very clean and we had a double bed and a fold up bed beside ours for Daniel and the room did not feel cramped there was still space for him to play.
We ate in the restaurant 2 nights and the food was lovely with a very extensive menu to suit all tastes and a couple of specials every night. There was also a very good choice of childrens menu and if it wasnt on the menu staff were happy to speak to the chef to see if they could accommodate your request.
There was a relaxing residents lounge with a gas fire and comfy sofas and chairs that we would definately have used more had there been just the 2 of us. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would definately recommend it to others travelling to this area of Scotland.

leicester,uk
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed over easter last week,what a fantastic hotel something different from corporate hotel chains, lovely atmosphere helpful staff,lovely views of the surrounding area.We had a double room in the annex most relaxing first floor room,loved the heritage of this hotel which you don't often get,breakfast very good,note that the train station connel ferry is right behind the hotel about 3 mins walk from the reception would stay here again[when the weathers good but thats scotland!] but this place gets my vote!.

Room Tip: visit the local shop has a cash point inside also open sunday morning 6-1pm
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Similar to a previous posting on here, I was appalled by the not so obvious charges of the hotel. I had stayed before with work and found it quirky in a good way, as someone else on here has pointed out. Unfortunately, I had to cancel due to work commitments but I gave the hotel 72 hours notice - surely enough not to be charged (most hotels have a 24 hour cancellation policy)

They then told me that it was a 30 DAY CANCELLATION POLICY! If they couldn't rebook the room, I would be charged a £40 deposit. I tried to rebook for another weekend, and they agreed I could transfer the cost over, but the only weekend I am available they had a wedding on so they had a "not our problem" attitude and charged me the £40. They also failed to tell me they hadn't rebooked the room and were therefore going to charge me before the night I was due to stay.

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank MaddyA745
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Best Western The Queens Hotel
#1 of 13 in Oban
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#8 of 13 in Oban

Been to Falls Of Lora? Share your experiences!