All reviews four poster bed old world charm standard room quaint hotel residents lounge cocktail bar scottish hotel family room no lift roaring fire oban ferry evening meal loch etive cooked breakfast lovely location we've stayed single room
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have to laugh at the comments made about the poor service and poor food and how old fashioned it is. Firstly it is north of scotland secondly it would be damn right boring to go to the north of scotland and get a central scotland response. for the business like minded people there are more hotels to that taste in central oban the falls is purely for relaxation or romance. Me i went there to relax and write a book. Will need to go back there this summer to finish my book. I recomended this hotel to a friend, and her fiance propoused to her there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2009

This is a great hotel if you want to spend a romantic break with your partner. There is plenty of places to visit round about. A visit to the Isle of Siel which is nearby is wothwhile it is amazing.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

There are some really funny reviews in here about this hotel, which I think say more about the reviewers than the hotel. In particular, the "unfriendly" lady owner. In fact, there are two lady owners and both are absolutely wonderful - mind you, they don't take any stick from anybody! They are two of the most remarkable people it has ever been my pleasure to meet.

As a performer, I have travelled extensively and stayed in hundreds of hotels. But THIS is where I go when I want to get away from it all. I love the food. I love the views. I love the ambience - everything, really.

The rooms range from the small, cheap and cheerful to the absolutely sumptuous. (Check out some of the other reviews and you'll know what to ask for!) And once you get to know the staff, they are an absolute pleasure to know.

If you think you're something special and you want a bog-standard, everything-looks-the-same hotel, then this isn't for you. If you like the quirky, the friendly and the absolute delightful... book up now. And don't be too surprised if you see me there!

Drew McAdam

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MindPlay
Reviewed 17 November 2008

This is the second year running that my family and I have spent the October half term at "The Falls", and as last time, we found the staff welcoming and efficient.
We used one of their family rooms that is divided into two sleeping areas and as before we found it very clean and comfortable with all the usual facilities including fresh towels everyday, tea and coffee and two televisions!.
This hotel suits us as we have two children who seem to enjoy the freedom and saftey of a family run hotel. It has a large lounge with roaring fire, and is a good place for them to curl up and read a book or play a game.
We were lucky with the weather again this year and spent long days out walking and driving around admiring the beautiful scenery in the area. Oban is only a five minuite drive away for gift shops etc and this is where you catch a ferry to visit other islands.
The staff behind reception were very helpful when planning our daily excursions and had a good knowledge both locally and further afield. The mountains and lochs are just stunning and the roads are pretty traffic free, so getting about is never a chore.
On returning at the end of the day we enjoy nothing better than a drink in the bar area and "The Falls" stocks dozens of whiskeys as well as the usual spirits, beers and a good selection of wine.
There is another large central fireplace here in the bar that you can sit around whilst you look through the comprehensive menu. They offer a good childrens menu too and an exciting daily "specials board" that includes locally caught fish. Portions are excellent and prices are very reasonable.
Each morning for breakfast you can choose anything from cereal to kippers to a full Scottish platter.
With all the walking we hope to loose a few pounds but never do!
Once Christmas is out of the way, I hope that we will be booking up again for 2009.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Wisteria36
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Booked the room at a special rate and was told over the telephone that the room had yet to be updated, so have no problems with the room, although not of a great standard, in fact it was slighter better than anticipated. Our problem was with some of the staff and the owners attitude! We had booked a rate where dinner and breakfast is charged and on arrival (5pm) went through to the Bistro (as advised to by reception) to see what the "special board" had on it. We spoke to a member of staff behind the bar. On going down to dinner just after 7pm we were told we had to be placed on a waiting list for a table. I asked a very scruffy (jogging bottoms and polo shirt) lady who seem to be in charge (we later found out that she was the owner), why the member of staff didn't advise us at 5pm that we need to go on a waiting list, she and this member of staff then discussed in front of us, how she cannot assume that people want to eat who look at the menu so why should she explain how the system works! And that she had worked there 22 years and basically customers were an encumberance to her. The owner kept apologising to the bar person and we were "told off". We were then served warm white wine and were too frightened to mention it, fearing repercusions in the food. The food when it came to be fair was OK. On going back to the room, the owner was bad mouthing guests staying with the receptionist and didn't appear very professional. We could not wait to escape the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple