“Truly disappointing meal. After many visits we won't be back”

Lochnell Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
Perth, United Kingdom
“Truly disappointing meal. After many visits we won't be back”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The staff tried their best but the food was mediocre at best and despite ample warning the kitchen couldn't cope with a party of 15. The waiting times were enormous.
Tip from the chef in the party trim your menu down and stick to what you are good at. Steak pie and fish was fine. Cement Brûlée was ambrosia custard with a toasted sugar topping, veggie haggis was indescribable but might have been paxo stuffing, sauces, shortbread etc. all shop bought.
After many years visiting we won't be back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Susan graciously accommodated us after a hotel further up the street refused to honor a confirmed reservation with Travelocity. I was travelling with my husband and six-year old son, so we needed two beds. Susan graciously fit a small bed into a room that was clearly only meant to fit the king bed already contained therein. She really helped us out of a tough spot as it was after 9pm and we had a very tired child.
The room itself was lovely and very comfortable with a great view of the river. We also had a balcony.
The breakfast was very good and the hosts were fantastic.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room number 1 was lovely with a great view and balcony, but no television.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

What a great wee hotel! The owners were very helpful and had the most adorable son. A great breakfast and the room was grand. You are close to a beautiful river which I found very romantic. You are 5 miles away from Oban which could be a blessing or not depending on what you are after on your trip but I found it all very pleasing. Cheers guys.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at the Loch Nell Arms in Room 4. I booked earlier in the year and was advised that it had new owners Rudi (Ruud) and Susan. I think they took over in April. There wasn't much of a change when I arrived but as I say my room was great value for money - very clean and my en suite facilities were both spacious and also very clean. Rudi tells me he has a lot of plans for the place and I believe him. What made my stay special was the welcome by the new owners - GREAT FOOD and beers all very reasonably priced (Oh the other staff were delightful too!) The view from this hotel is great too I've added a picture but it really doesn't do justice to the hypnotic whirlpools that you can see at certain times - look up the web for Falls of Lora for more info. Amazing! I am going back there later in the year and look forward to Ruud and Susan Fish and Chips again - Can smell it already! Good luck with things for the future at Loch Nell Arms. John McElwee

Room Tip: It depends on your circumstances and why you are staying there. A Loch view would be great if availa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just had our lunch at the lochnell arms hotel. First time we have had something to eat in the hotel, I can honestly say we will be back. The new owners, what a lovely couple, they made as feel very welcome, even their son, gave my mum the thumbs up. Haha. My mum had the tomato and basil bruschetta with melted mozzarella cheese, the fish and chips to follow, now normally mum isn't a big eater....but she finished the lot off. Me...well I had the highland mushrooms ....well tasty. Had the steak and ale pie, with chips....had this dish in many places, but there was definitely ale in there..some place you don't even sniff it. I wish Susan and Rudd all the very best in the future, we hope to back again soon. Good luck guys :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I recently visited for an early evening meal. We had enjoyed a meal here when the current owners were just starting out. Once more we were warmly welcomed by our host to a quiet restaurant. He was very attentive, pleasant and had a good sense of humour. Soon the room began to get busy. He remained calm and efficient and was assisted in serving periodically. The food was delicious - however, I feel he could have done with a bit more help in the dining room as our service became a bit slower as the meal progressed. We will be back because it is important to us how staff handle pressure i.e. remain courteous and professional throughout service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilversum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a few days in May. The owners, Ruud and Susan, make you feel very welcome. They even thought about the kids by having a playroom for them.
Meals are great with self made chips, loved it. I can really recommend the chocolate marquise as dessert.
My room had a balcony with a beautiful view and the bed slept even better than my bed at home :)
I'll be back next year for sure!

Room Tip: One with a balcony!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sally N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 13 in Oban
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#8 of 13 in Oban

Been to Lochnell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!