“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
Irvine
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Made very welcome, friendly staff, great food and comfortable room also made a great fuss of our little Cocker Spaniel

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We have just spent 5 days at the Oyster and were made welcome from the moment we arrived. James, Suzy and all the staff made our stay an experience we shan't forget.
The accommodation was both comfortable and great value and we slept well every night and when we asked for addidional items nothing was a trouble, Suzy actually gave my wife her personal full length mirror for the duration.
The food is excellent and the catering staff tallented and friendly. My main experience of the Oyster is how nice and helpful all the staff were and I would guess we didn't make their life easy. If you are looking for a place that epitmises the friendliness of Argyll and the Argyll folk you need look no further than the Oyster.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

i travelled here from the south of england, and given that we had our 4 year old son with us, the journey was long but well worth it. We couldnt of asked for better service. The staff were amazing. My mum got married and they catered for our every need. We had family and friends stay to so practiclly rented out the whole place. The views are stunning , the people are friendly, and i came home feeling more relaxed than ever, would recomend this inn to couples and groups for occasions, Top customer service, Thank you mike ! you made my mums day!

Room Tip: ask for rooms overlooking the bay
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Do not ever make the journey to this restaurant. The dining experience was truly the most deplorable that I have ever encountered. My friends and I paid £30 for a round taxi trip to eat in this restuarant which had been highly recommended. We arrived for our 8pm booking and was ushered to a waiting area. No menus were provided, no drinks were offered and no explanation was provided. We sat patiently and procured menus ourselves from an empty table. We then proceeded to make our order to be told that NOT a single one of the main courses on the menu or the specialities were available. There was NO seafood whatsoever, no steak, lamb, game. We were offered burgers, pasta and pizza!!! By this time we could see that customers were walking around all about us with disbelief that such a service was provided. Our wine had to be ordered twice, we had to halp ourselves to cutlery from empty tables, it truly was a deplorable level of service. What astonished me was at the end of our meal, we spoke to the Manger to see what he was prepared to offer discount wise. His attitude was deplorable. He told us "if we didnt like what was on offer, we could have gone else where." We explained this was not an option as we had travelled by taxi, which was picking us up later that even. He refused to acknowledge that the service was substandard. He failed to recognise that we could have got Burgers, pizza and pasta from the hotel which we were staying in and had travelled to the restaurant for seafood. The waiter who was serving us, was truly embaressed by the situation. We should have been told at the time of booking (1 hour prior to arriving at the restaurant )that the menu was limited (!!) to say the least. If you are in this area and want seafood, please go to Oban.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank DiCoopster
albannach, General Manager at Oyster Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with us in our Restaurant. It is my opinion that the kitchen brigade and front of house staff controlled the evening service with smiles on their faces and with the efficiency and professionalism I have come to expect from them. It is sometimes the case that when posting reviews some people can get a bit carried away with their comments and mislead other potential guests by exaggerating and possibly not understanding or giving a full explanation of actual events.

This particular table of 4 (includes the linked review below) did make their table reservation at 7:30pm, ½ an hour [before] their anticipated arrival at the hotel. Although we were already very busy, I was very accommodating and made the commitment to arrange a table in our restaurant for 8pm. As it transpired, this party did arrive late for their booking and therefore disturbed a few other bookings which we had already taken earlier in the day. As these particular guests would have to appreciate on the grounds of fairness to our other bookings, our other guests were served ahead of them and their orders taken ahead. I myself would not arrive late for a dinner reservation and then expect the waiters or waitresses to alter other people’s reservations to suit myself, I believe if asked, this party would not disagree with this view particularly if they were indeed a guest being disrupted by other guests late arrival who were served before them

By the time this party arrived at the restaurant we had admittedly run out of several of our main dishes and also several of our specials. We have an ever growing reputation for using fresh local produce and for looking after our guests in the correct way. So many guests have made the point that when either dining or staying, it is Scottish hospitality at its best, but on occasions demand for some dishes will outstrip others, and not being an ‘out of a freezer set up’, we will admittedly run out of some dishes on occasions. We believe ‘fresh is best’ and at all times try to have the right balance of stock to satisfy all guests demands.

When taken to their table the guests were fully informed that we could only offer them the bar menu but still enjoy the comforts and views which our restaurant offers. They fully accepted this and proceeded to order their meal. The bar menu as advertised on our website does have several seafood dishes to choose from both as starters and mains. These were all available on the night.

When asked at the end if they enjoyed their meal they all replied yes!!!

When I was asked to speak to the party after their meal it was very quickly made clear to me that they were looking to be recompensed for having a meal which they said they enjoyed. I personally felt that both myself and the waiting staff made every effort to accommodate them on the night and despite their late arrival in the restaurant tried our utmost to provide them with an enjoyable meal. Through their own admission to both the waiter who served the table and myself, we certainly achieved our goals.

I was however sympathetic towards their point of contention that they came here on the recommendation of our restaurant which I assumed meant our restaurant menu. As it was not possible to offer them this on the night I omitted the bottle of wine from their bill with my compliments. This was gratefully received which I note has not been mentioned in their review.

In short, I feel this is a true account of the guests experience which I hope goes some way towards clarifying the events of the night in question to any potential guest reading these 2 reviews.

James McEachern
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My first review ever ! ... I can honestly say my experience at the oyster inn restuarant/hotel was astounding..I can report it is the worst restuarant experience I have ever had. Firstly,, we had only booked our table at 7.30 pm and then we arrived by taxi for a table at 8pm. We waited politely for our table although no one gave us a menu, offered us drinks, eventually we helped ourselves to menu and carried on chatting among ourselves to pass the time. We said nothing despite having waited over half an hour for our table without explanation. We however had noticed rumblings amongst other customers in the restaurant, the cause of which was soon to become clear. There was literally nothing left to order on the main menu restaurant. There was no seafood, no specials, no steak, no lamb... you get the picture. There was no mention of this when we arrived, no mention of this when we had booked our meal only an hour early. There was no sign outside to mention that there was no seafood in a seafood restaurant. The staff were flustered, harassed and there was obviously no leadership and I cant believe we were not told that the restaurant had bascially sold out of everything. We ended up laughing with our waiter as the situation was so outrageous. We would have walked out had we not spent over 15 squid on a taxi. So we had burgers etc from the bar menu next door. ( We can for seafood). We lacked cutlery and glasses which we took from another empty table. Our wine was forgotten...The staff were obviously so stressed that they werent able to cope, with literally every table complaining. The manager had little to offer in explanation as to why he could let us and so many other people wait for tables in a restaurant which had sold out !! We should have been told at the door with an unreputed apology. It was a ruined evening for myself and our friends. I am embarassed that I took them there on a recommendation.......My advice, head into oban to eat.......

• Stayed May 2011
7 Thank susan_copeland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Lovely place great food super views from restaurant seafood is their speciality all staff efficient and welcoming

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Tobermory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

This is a great hotel. Staff were really friendly and welcoming, couldn't have been more helpful. Situated just a few miles from Oban, over looking the sea.
Room was clean and large enough for us, we could even see the sea (just!). No bath but we prefer showers, so wasn't a problem for us.
Pub is situated just next door, attached to the hotel. Staff and locals were great and really friendly. Lovely log fire was roaring and added to the atmosphere.
Would highly recommend a stay here and will be returning very soon.
Argyll area is lovely, especially loved the trip to Tobermory, although watch out for the high cost of the ferry if you are taking a car, it cost us £98 for car and 2 people.

Room Tip: Eat in the pub, highly recommended
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WillowCottageMull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
The Ranald Hotel
The Ranald Hotel
#3 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oyster Inn? Share your experiences!