Oyster Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsglue potoystersresidents loungetattieschowderwindow tablelovely mealchillihaddockgreat atmospherelog fireouter hebridesgreat nightstunning viewsbar and restaurantstayed here for one nightcomfortable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I visited the oyster inn for lunch on Thursday 15 August 2013.We liked the decor and the newly refurbished bar.We ordered our meals and waited about half an hour.My wife ordered chicken and leek pie as the fish on the board had not arrived! When my wife`s food arrived the potatoes were cold and the pie was burnt and black.On complaining we were told that that was how the pie should be! My wife refused to eat this rubbish and was offered an alternative dish although we were made to feel that it was somehow our fault.My own food was passable at best.On leaving we spoke to the deputy manager who was full of excuses but only offered an apology for the cold potatoes.We were not offered any recompense and we left feeling that our complaint had really been overlooked.We shall NOT be visiting this place again and would advise other people to avoid it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnIsleofIslay
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had a meal at the Oyster Inn, and what a meal! After having to deal with the staff who were not able to give the slightest explanation on items on the menu, we had to wait 90 minutes no less, for 3 rather simple dishes: one hamburger one steak and one salad. The quality of the meat was terrible, and the hamburger smelt of cooking oil that had been used too many times. Throughout those 90 minutes we asked 3 or 4 times for news of our dishes, and the staff didn't seem to bother to get things moving, or to give any satisfactory explanation on the delay. In the end I had to take things in hands, bringing the dishes to the table, and paying at the cashier instead of at the table. An amateur job throughout.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 948victor
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here twice now, both times with a friend. We have really enjoyed sitting in the residents lounge, reading as the sum sets. The breakfast is excellent. Not too greasy and beautifully presented. Staff are polite and helpful. The rooms are fine, on the small side but large enough when there is just one person in it! The price is fabulous (£65 per night when booked directly) if there are 2 of you in the room. I think this is a dog friendly place too.
We had dinner in the bar which was beautifully presented but small portions. However it is enough and you won't leave hungry.
I will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We ate at the restaurant during our time in Connel and were very impressed. It was a lovely evening so we sat outside with a nice view over the water and an impressive sunset.

The food was lovely - well cooked and amended to cater for a gluten-free dietary requirement. We really enjoyed our meal and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bexltl
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The staff were very friendly and professional and the food was very good, served in the attractive small restaurant with glorious views over the loch.The room was a good size & well presented BUT the bed was hard as planks and the bath had a broken plug which could not be dealt with by the staff (and why hadn't it been picked up on room inspection before I booked in?) which spoiled the whole "start of holiday luxury" feel I wanted before setting off in a small boat round the Outer Hebrides - with Northern Lights Cruises who are brilliant and I would recommend highly. I won't be back to The Oyster Inn, not value for my money.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo