“Cosy Place to Stay”

Ranked #1 of 9 Connel B&B and Inns
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Cosy Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

It was a nice welcome with a smile from the talkative Scottish lady. The lobby/ dining area was very nicely decorated & the reading room was very comfortable. We were given two rooms in the top floor, which was a bit cramped but not uncomfortable. Had a nice view of the Loch nearby from the room. They don't seem to have triple rooms, because the third person had to sleep on a inflatable mattress. The typical Scottish breakfast was really good. Dinner was available at a nearby restaurant which was recommended by the staff. Staff were very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at Grove House.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to stay in the not too distant future ...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My partner and I stopped over at this B&B for 1 night on our way up to Loch Ness and we would definitely stay over again. The staff very welcoming and friendly and the room was clean and cosy. If you are planning a short trip to Oban and the surrounding area's, I'd definitely recommend checking this place out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your brief stay with us at Grove House.

I was delighted to read that you liked the style of our bed and breakfast , and that we came across as being friendly.
Both Kirsty and I are most fortunate to be able to do a job that we both thoroughly enjoy . We always look forward to welcoming guests to stay.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back to stay in the not too distant future.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked a superior room for 3 and we received a phone call from the owner a little before we left home to say the room was a wee bit tight. Upon arrival we found it to be a small to average double room which was not even big enough to include a desk or dressing table. The chair was actually the fold-up bed which could not be put down till we were ready for bed as there was only about 1 foot clearance between it and the bathroom door. This bed was not even checked as we found there were a couple of slats missing which we had to put up with that night.
On hearing our complaints the owner offered us a chance to leave, which we did one day early.
Upon arrival, we were given the menu and asked to fill out our breakfast choices. It was rather a surprise then to be billed 5 pound each for breakfast when no money was mentioned when we were given the menu. We were told we should have read the very fine print that said no cooked breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Grove House on July 3rd.

I had already addressed all of these issues with you in person during your time at our bed and breakfast.
You admitted to me that it was entirely your fault for not reading the room description as to what was and what was not included. You too said that you never took on board my telephone conversation made to you too after you made the on line booking through Late Rooms.
By posting a review like this can be rather misleading to future people who may be looking to stay at Grove House and want to read previews guest reviews ...

I shall point out in detail the information regarding your booking...

You originally enquired through Late Rooms for a triple en suite room for 3 nights commencing July 3rd. The bed configuration for the triple was 2 single beds and an air bed with duvet etc for the 3rd person. When Late Rooms called me asking about availability for 3 adults I told them this room was not available for the entire 3 nights, but I could offer them a double en suite with a metal framed bed for the 3rd person. I felt that the metal framed bed would be far more comfortable than an air bed considering it was for an adult.

It was at this stage I said to the lady at late Rooms that the room is designed for 2 persons and the space would be extremely tight when the 3rd bed was made up.
I made it clear that I would charge nothing for the 3rd person , that he or she could stay for free. Late Rooms thought that was rather generous of us !
The only additional charge would be if a cooked breakfast was ordered. If this was the case it would be £5 each day. This I felt was a very reasonable offer. I only wanted to cover my costs.

Late Rooms called you back with this information, and 15 minutes later we received an electronic booking for your stay.

I always like to follow up such bookings where I do not have direct contact with the guest. So I called you immediately ( not just before you left to stay as you stated ) which was 11 days prior to your arrival date to check that you were happy to all stay in such a tight space.
I did point out that we were in fact not charging the 3rd person to stay. You replied by saying ' look it is fine, we are all family, and we will only be sleeping in the room '

You also mentioned that you were all charged £5 daily for a cooked breakfast. All bedrooms for Grove House sold through Late Rooms are for continental breakfast.
It clearly states ( and not in small print as you stated ) that should you wish to upgrade to all full cooked breakfast offering a choice of 10 main courses a £5 charge will be made.

You too brought up that 2 slats on the metal framed bed were missing. As soon as you brought this to my attention after the first nights stay I looked at the bed to see that they were indeed there but had just come loose and been moved out of the slots.
This we fixed immediately , and your party seemed pleased when I told you.

On the first morning I offered to cancel down your booking with no further charge after you mentioned how tight the space was.
You declined my offer and said it was fine you would stay , admitting that you had not really taken on board my prior telephone conversation with you.
During the season we often run with a large waiting list for our bedrooms.
This I explained to you as I did not want you to feel uncomfortable about the situation, especially as had not taken everything on board with regards to the room set up etc
You did however take me up on my offer the following day and left a day ahead of schedule.

I feel that this has taken up a lot of my valuable time trying to defend myself here in a situation that should not be happening.

Had you listened to me in the first instance and also read all the booking terms and conditions, a situation like this would not be happening.

May I offer you some advice in future when making a booking...
Always read the terms and conditions , and when someone tells you that the room will be extremely tight believe them !

I would however like to say that it was lovely to meet you all and to chat to you during your 2 night stay. I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Mull .
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I had the wonderful pleasure of spending a couple nights at the Grove House. We were greeted with a tremendously warm welcome by Kirsty and stayed in a very clean and well presented room. We traveled Scotland and Ireland for 2 weeks and I can say without hesitation that the breakfast that Kirsty and Karen provided us each morning was beyond expectation. Fresh smoothies, tea, wide variety of cereals etc. The full Scottish breakfast was delicious and my personal favorite was the scrambled eggs with salmon and oatcakes. The entire breakfast setting was meticulously presented (Karen, absolutely fantastic).

On our second evening, we arrived back late and Kirsty was extremely accommodating to review our maps and offer other conversation. My with and I both had an absolutely delightful time visiting with Kirsty (one of the highlights of our entire trip). That evening we took her up on her recommendation to eat at The Oyster Inn. I had the BEST Cullen Skink and Mussels EVER. Thanks for the recommendation Kirsty!

We would recommend sitting at the table closest to the kitchen if possible. Enjoyable to watch them do their magic and I think the overall interaction with the host is better from that location.

If we ever have the wonderful opportunity to travel Scotland again, we won't hesitate to try and coordinate another stay at The Grove House.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #4 with had both a tub and shower (which is always a plus).
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Grove House.

I was most pleased to read that you enjoyed our gourmet breakfast each morning.
Great too that you liked the design and style of our bedrooms. They have all been newly decorated, each with brand new bathrooms in the past 12 months.
You mentioned that your room (4) had a bath and a shower. All of our double bedrooms have this set up, each en suite has a full sized bath along with a shower too.

I shall pass your kind comments onto Kirsty. She loves to spend time with the guests, and always looks forward to welcoming each and every person to stay and takes great pride in the operation of the bed and breakfast.

I do hope that you will manage another trip to Scotland in the not too distant future , and if so another visit to Grove House.
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Fabulous welcome by Kirsty. Spotlessly clean, superb restaurant within walking distance (oyster Inn served amazing seafood and steaks) first class breakfast. Professional and warm hospitality. Would definitely recommend. Was a one night stay so we could catch ferry in Oban (15 mins drive at most) but we will definitely use it as a base to explore the area more in near future. Thanks to Kirsty for looking after us.

• Stayed July 2013
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 1 night stay with us at Grove House.

May I say that I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us from the warm welcome from kirsty to the gourmet breakfast the following morning.

I shall pass your kind words onto Kirsty , she takes great pride in the operation of the bed and breakfast, and her bubbly personality is well received by all of our guests.

I very much look forward to welcoming you both back to stay in the not too distant future, and next time for a longer stay !
Perthshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely break in Connel. Kirsty looked after us extremely well. She told us about a lovely beach and where to get the best meals. The breakfasts were as other people have said brilliant. Everything fresh and piping hot. I did however thing it was a little expensive for the small room that we had. The rooms are described as having fridges, but be aware that they are tiny, the kind you use in car. We could not fit in a bottle in ours. However Kirsty came to the rescue, storing our bottles in the fridge in the kitchen and keeping us topped up with ice on request. Nothing was too much trouble, that also includes Karen the owner. Overall a great relaxing weekend.

• Stayed July 2013
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you very much for posting a review on your 3 night stay with us at grove House.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our gourmet breakfast each morning. Great too that Kirsty looked after you well during your stay. She takes great pride in the operation of the bed and breakfast, and is always happy to assist guests during a stay from arranging trips to recommending and booking restaurants.

You mentioned that you felt that we were rather expensive. May I point out that we do have several rates at Grove House as we offer a few different bedroom types.
All bedrooms are indeed en suite most with a bath and a powered shower. We have 4 room types and I shall detail them below for future guests who may be reading this review as it may be rather useful ...

1 -Superior double ( En suite bath and shower ) - rates are from £25 to £35 per person per night for bed and our gourmet breakfast.

2 - Executive double - same as above but with a king sized bed - rates are from £30 to £40 per person per night for bed and our gourmet breakfast.

3 - Deluxe suite ( en suite with bath and shower ) - rates from £35 to £45 per person per night for bed and our gourmet breakfast.

4 - Family room ( en suite with power shower ) - rates from £20 to £30 per person per night to include our gourmet breakfast.

I feel our rates are very reasonable. The fact that we run at full occupancy during the entire season is most certainly testament to this.

You also very kindly mentioned out about the size of the fridges that we have in each bedroom. I must thank you for pointing this out to us as we indicate on our web site that all bedrooms have fridges and we do not give the size. Each fridge has a14 litre capacity and can hold 12 tins or small bottles of juice and a few other items too. I am sorry if you were misled in any way with regards to this. We shall be contacting our web site manager to have it specified in more detail.
We are always happy to store larger of items to be refrigerated for guests during a stay and provide unlimited ice too ( that you kindly mentioned in your review )

May I say that it was such a delight to meet you both and to chat to you during your stay.
Once again many thanks for pointing out that we do not state on our web site that our fridges in each room are not full sized. This is something that has never been raised in the past 27 years with previous guests, so unfortunately we were unaware that it could be misleading.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back for another stay in the not too distant future ...
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The room was amazing and town so cute. The manager is the absolute coolest. My little girl just loves her. We will come back to have the breakfast. We had to leave early to make it to the British Open.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your rather brief stay with us at Grove House.

May I say that I was delighted to read that you liked the style of our newly decorated bedrooms, and that you delightful little girl enjoyed meeting Kirsty.
I shall pass your comments onto Kirsty. She takes great pride in the operation of the place, and loves to interact with the guests during their stay.

I do look forward to welcoming you all back in the not too distant future, perhaps on your next visit you will have time to enjoy our gourmet breakfast.

I do hope that you all had a super time at the golf, and that you had a safe journey back to America.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,678 reviews
Corran House
Corran House
#14 of 99 in Oban

Been to Grove House? Share your experiences!