“Thieves and aggressive!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uda Walawe National Park
Selara River Hide Out
Paris, France
“Thieves and aggressive!!!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We were 2 couples.We stayed only one night, the place is nice and the bungalows are basics but confortable. One of the 2 brothers (owners) looked nice and friendly : room 2500 ( with no extra charges)breakfast included...but at the end when the final bill came up they changed the prices of the room, drinks and charged us for breakfast 550 roupies per person!!! We decided not to pay for breakfast and not for the extra charges as the 1st brother said from the very beginning and of course he wasn't here to give us the bill,. We tried to solve the problem as grown up person with the 2nd brother but very unfriendly and he became mad and aggressive , insulting us, screaming throwing money, keys on the ground trying to scare us. So we just fled from that horrible place. Please don't go there!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michel D

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I want to write about another place very similar to Selara. The owner (bodybuilder in his 30') took me there saying it was Selara (he had Selara business cards), and it seemed right because of description from Lonely Planet (riverside, waterfall-type showers, adobe bungalows, monitor lizard). Anyway, the place was great and the bodybuilder and his brother were really nice and helpful. But I made the mistake of leaving money in the bungalow when we had breakfast. Most of it disappeared and I'm quite sure it happened there.
Later, when I investigated I realized it was NOT Selara River but Pokuna Safari Eco Lodge, but if you are looking for accommodation near Uda Walawe you should be aware of this scam.
And one more thing - when I showed the card I got from the bodybuilder to moto taxi driver (the card said exactly Salara Rever Eco Resort), the driver took me to Pokuna Lodge. It's like they all work together...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Uda Walawe National Park hotels

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Ok, I had to write this comment to warn all of you considering this place as your accomodation.

We came here accidently (owner had an agreement with a bus driver who called him that we're coming) but we really liked this place. Cottage was basic, but had everything we needed. It was facing the river, there were many interesting fruit trees, small pond. Place is really green and quiet as it's in the middle of forest. There are some neighours but the town is 15 minutes away by tuk tuk.

We liked the place, liked the owner who was doing his best to fit our needs.

Unfortunately, during safari we left in our cottage some money from our country (50 PLN) and some jewelery and they disappeared. Of course we found out that we don't have it few days later. Now I understand why the owner was asking us if we could exchange him 100 PLN bill to USD. He said that he received it from Polish friend and could not exchange it anywhere. We haven't exchanged it because we needed USD but we're not suspecting that next day our money might disappear. Next time when people from Poland visited his place he was probably trying to exchange 150 PLN from 'Polish friend'...

If the above things woudn't happen I would give this place even 4/5 but after such experience it must be 1/5. Stay away or take extra care of your valuables!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neffff
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Originally, I wanted to say, how nice the environment and the whole accommodation was. The place is indeed nice, the small lake and the open bungalow above are inviting, the rooms are quite nice and staff is friendly.
On the other hand: we arrived late afternoon and were ensured, that the morning safari sucks and we should wait for the evening one, well, that's a nonsense as the ranger in the park told us later at the evening safari, mornings are better. So we were essentially tricked into staying one more night. On top of that, after leaving this place, I found 100 euro missing. I knew I had it two days before, since I went to the bank for exchange. I thought I was just careless and it felt out of my wallet somewhere, but thinking back, I had them when we arrived to this place and since reading the last comments, I'm not the last one with this occurrence, I have a feeling that this is simply suspicious. You might want to reconsider this place!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank janapka
Coorabell, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The reviews on this site are a bit harsh as I have experienced this place as s.th. a bit special. It is out of the way and so u need a tuctuc. it is situated right on the river and we were in it swimming and playing with the locals. absolutely gorgeous. The accommodation was quirky I felt as I was on safari all furniture was chunky and yep could be cleaner overall. Food was ok and the guy running the place was super friendly. We extended our stay an extra night and so did some Belgium couple we met. WE LOVED IT.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Bettina S
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 27 March 2013

On the face of it this place seems good. It's got a lovely location. Yes the rooms are a bit basic but Sri Lanka hardly offers value for money when it comes to accommodation and this compared with prices of other places in the country is reasonable.

The dinner is poor value. Forget the Lonely Planet's "does great thing's with river fish" - unless you like your fish fried to a crisp.

The kicker though was the missing $100 discovered in Galle the day after we left. A big argument ensued between my girlfriend and me and ruined the whole day. Judging from the other comments here I think we can now safely say it went missing from my girlfriend's bag during dinner. Like one of the other comments said not all the money was taken. There were two $100 notes and only one was taken.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markeaandrews
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I am interested in looking for accomadation around Uda Walawe and planing to vist to Sri Lanka during my easter break , therefore I am interested in styaing at Selara River Hide Out .

Furthermore the photos of the hotel was appealing and interested me to stay in the hotel with the lovely food they provide .

I couldn't find a contact detail in order to book my stay therefore appreciated to hear from the hotel soon .

Thanks ,

Mark from New Zealand .

Room Tip: Alll the rooms are good and love if I had the middle room has a good view.