I stayed one night as part of my trip to Uda Walawe National Park.
Kalu's Hideaway is built and owned by former Sri Lankan wicketkeeper/batsman Romesh Kaluwitarana - dubbed Little Kalu by cricket commentators. I was very lucky that Kalu was there during my stay. He is a very down to earth person and meeting one of the former top stars in Sr Lankan cricket made my stay special.
Kalu has really tried to keep everything looking natural using lots of teak wood - furniture, floors and ceilings.
My room was nice with satellite tv, fan, air condition and mosquito net. Big bathroom with nice hot water.
Food was delicious and the staff were superb.
Kalu's Hideaway does not have a liquor license, but it's not a problem bringing your own bottle. Nearest off license is in Uda Walawe town about 2 km away.
The only downsides were:
- LKR 1,000 had been added to my bill for food for my guide and my driver because I was a solo traveller
- LKR 400 for a pot of tea. It was actually a pot of hot water and a LKR 2 tea bag.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With 14 Fourteen Spacious rooms including 5 Superior rooms,6 Deluxe, 2 Chalets & 1 Suite, the hotel caters to the most unique clients. It provides the butler service with personalized dining menu of your choice. The Hotel is located just 5 Minutes next to Udawalawe National Park & Udawalawe Lake. From Colombo 187 km to the Hotel and around 04 hours drive from Colombo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Kalu's Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalu`s Hideaway Hotel Uda Walawe National Park
- Kalu's Hideaway Sri Lanka/Uda Walawe National Park