“A quality Beach resort located in a quiet & calm location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Insight Resort

Insight Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ahangama
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“A quality Beach resort located in a quiet & calm location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

A quality Beach resort located in a quiet & calm location on the golden sandy beach in Ahangama , The natural corral reef breaks the strong waive & makes the ocean in to a safe place for a sea bath. The sound & the freshness of the sea breeze coupled with the lushes green surrounding relaxes your mind & body which makes your stay an unforgettable one.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dhanushka W
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We Thank you for all your positive comments about us. It certainly is an endorsement for all those who wish to make a booking to our Resort in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I returned to this hotel by chance two years after having visited under different management. If you are after something simple, clean, right on the beach this is a great spot. Value isn't too bad even with the 50% rate hike after the change. I found most of the staff very friendly, tho the check in was a bit lacking. The rooms are clean and at least some if not all offer AC. The beach is excellent, but you may be approached by locals looking to sell you something. Everything considered, I'd stay here again, but I'd book early and ask for a third floor room facing the ocean.

• Stayed April 2013
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We thank you for all your good comments about us. It certainly is an endorsement for all those who wish to make a booking to our Resort in the future.

Whilst thanking you for your endorsement Sir, and responding to your comments there are only two locals who are allowed to sell clothes on the beach in front of the resort . Not many but just only two as we think it is an opportunity to help the locals. They are strictly warned not to worry and push for sales and I suppose they adhere to our request or else they will not be entertained to be there. Some of the plus points of these two vendors being there is that, when you go out to the beach they take care of your slippers and all not so expensive items, look after the towels where you keep them and for some of the guests who are going into the sea there for the first time caution them about the movement of the tide and explain about the reef in front and also they will display the beach wear they have for sale. No pushing of sales.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We ended up staying here 1 night impromptu due to our booking at Tangalle was reduced from 2 nights to 1. This place is right by the beach, nice ambiance and friendly staff.

Wifi was a bit spotty and drinks pricey. However the food was good (no buffet) and it was fairly quiet. Not much out there in town, nice if you want to R&R for a while.

Clean rooms with a view too.

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean or coconut plantation on the side should be OK, choose upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you Sir for advising us about the wi fi being spotty. We have looked into it.
Yerevan, Armenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

It's hard to find places to stay in Galle area for a group of travelers, who need twin beds, so this hotel was rather a forced choice. Unfortunately, the choice, while not terrible, was not a good one either. The place is quite rundown, the staff is mostly very positive and trying to help, but is far from being efficient, the beach is wide, and with a slight of the famous stilt fishermen, but the sea here is quite dull, shallow and with remains of corals, making swimming here not the best experience. There is a swimming pool too, quite a good one seemingly. Food in the restaurant is no good, and basically, it hardly matters, what exactly would you choose from the menu, what they bring is the same, no matter what you ordered. Overall very very average place, on the verge of "poor"

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We will have to accept the comments of it being run down to a large extent as the guest had stayed in March 2012. From May 2012 the hotel was closed for 4 months and the new thinking of the management was to pump in US$ 230,000 to improve just 33 rooms and the public areas. This large scale improvement was completed in 4 months. Thereafter the Insight Resort has turned out to be a totally different product from what it was. Even the staff are totally different now with much more energy

Sorry you stayed before the refurbishment and I am sure if you come again you will think differently.
If you are coming again do write to the Managing Director as we are sure he will want to throw in something special for you to say sorry.
Colombo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

The hotel is well situated . The whale watching in mirrissa , turtle hatchery and birds island "madol duwa" a short distance away. The beach in front of the hotel is beautifull and excellent for a breathtaking sunrise and sunset. This is a good place to watch the famous stilt fisherman.

Service is average but the buffet dinner and breakfast is good. The rooms are clean and spacious and most have a good view. Value for money and will definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We thank you for all your positive comments about us. It certainly is an endorsement for all those who wish to make a booking to our Resort in the future.
Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Insight is a hotel with a very good location, but it's beautiful surroundings are totally undermined by its horrible service. From the first moment at check-in, it was clear. To be honest, it wasn't the staff, it was the management. After three questions, I could see that the manager was not trying to be helpful and was cutting off other staff who attempted to be helpful and sending them non-verbal threats to the other staff to be as unhelpful as possible.

I received a room that had a nice view (an elevator would've been nice!), but could have easily given me a nicer view, since I was there only one night, and they were obviously vacant.

I waited for well over an hour for a meal, even though the waitstaff scurried to take my order, and then obviously just sat on it. I watched as others came, ate and left, which I was still waiting at the bar. I was only finally served when the bartender went and reprimanded the waitstaff. And the simple food (soup, shrimp and vegetables), when they finally came, were pretty inedible. The soup was extremely salty, even after I sent it back, and no accommodation was made to offer me something else, or to even take it off the tab. The shrimp was either old or over-cooked as, although very large, were soft inside and without flavor. After my meal was finished, they finally brought me vegetables - exactly four green leaves covered in some kind of butter sauce, giving them the consistency of okra!

I asked the bartender to make sure my tab was ready as I was checking out early. Obviously, the nasty attitude day manager forgot to tell the overly cautious night manager, who proceeded to call me three times in the middle of the night asking about check-out, asking if I could please get up out of my bed, get dressed and come down and sign my bar/dinner bill and check out now, since he wouldn't be around in the morning. No, I can't, and yes he was. I got a pre-dawn wake up call which I didn't request, and 15 minutes later security banged on my door to make sure I was awake. And then again another 15 minutes later! And of course, he was lurking outside my door when I came out. When I came to the lobby, I was treated as if I was trying to escape without paying - although my driver had not even showed up. But of course, they didn't have the boxed breakfast (which I paid for in the room rate) prepared for me to abscond with. Even though i left my 20kg bag in the room, the security tried to waylay me and prohibit my leaving when I told him I'd come back through before noon. The night manager refused to come out (having told me that he wouldn't be around in the morning for my checkout), but asked my driver to come into his room - obviously to verify that I would pay.

Overall, I was made to feel unwelcome from the onset, and like a criminal throughout my short stay. My experience here was no negative that it detracted from all positive qualities that the room and property may have had.

But in keeping with mid-range and upscale" hotels throughout Sri Lanka, the room was large. Sri Lanka obviously has the mpression that as long as the room is large, you need not put anything in it. With Insight - no TV, no desk, no toiletries, no hair dryer,

My room was on the beach end and was quiet enough; however, there are rooms on the road side which are extremely noisy (with only a glimpse of the beach).

The beach is nice, but the property has this huge unsightly fence between the property and the beach; obviously to keep out the touts, but I think a security guard could've better served this goal and maintained a nicer access to the beach. Also, there were limited chairs at the beach, and the staff didn't bother to pay enough attention to remove old towels when people left so that one would know when the patrons had left versus just stepped out to the beach.

On the ONE bright side, the bartender was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: If you can't get a higher floor, absolutely get one toward the beach end. The ones on the road...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Amnesty1

Travellers are raving about these Ahangama hotels

Ko Samui, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

The doorman is quite rude and the management inexistent. Poolside is nice though. Considering the other options available around I did not feel that was good value or the best possible pick one can make.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms furthest to the Matara main Rd
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Ahangama, Manager at Insight Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
An extremely hard to believe comment. For just 33 rooms we have 3 senior management staff, therefore I am taken aback whether it is fair to make such a comment of management in-existent and I am wondering if this is a mixed up comment about another hotel as we don’t have a doorman in the first place. We reassure that there is so much value for money.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahangama
Koggala Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Weligama
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
#1 of 9 in Mirissa

Been to Insight Resort? Share your experiences!